Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 9th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Bad Back

Off topic but does anyone have a herniated disc....I have two and have been hurting for the last year or so. My friends are starting to call me a question mark because of how I stand. Trying to avoid surgery if at all possible. Anyone ever get relief from anything other than meds. Chiro didn't help but is trying to sell me on this machine which will cost me 2k for 20 visits......daxV decompression or something like it.....never heard of anyone this has helped.

Peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
I don't have a herniated disk but do have some back problems as does my wife. my whole family uses a Chriopractor on a regular bases but he is a little different than others. I believe he calles himself a corrective chriopractor. You might try lookin one up in you area or if you let me know where you are he is always willing to find one in the area you live for me.

What he does is and entisive addjustment period along with exercises, diet and varios stretching to help move the spine back into it's proper alinament. At first we were going four days a week. I have seen him correct Scoliosois in young children and take away severe nerve pain in my wifes neck and arm. Her neck was deterating fast and she was on the verge of slipping a disk in her neck.

I see him becuse my job forces me to be hunched over a bench or machine all day long and I am trying not to become a hunch back as so many in my trade are.

I don't remember what Dr. it was but back several decades ago a group of Drs. doing autopeses (SP) Became extreamily accurate saying what killed a cadavor just by looking at the spine and where it had subluxation. Because where the nerves came out the organ they feed was most likely what they died from.

If the spine is out of place they call it Subluxation or in your case question mark. below is a quote from his web sight about subluxation.

Subluxation

A misalignment in the bony structures of the spine. Subluxations can create pressure or irritation on the various nerves in your spine, and can cause a wide variety of symptoms throughout your body, such as localized pain, soreness, irregularity, and weakness. When pressure is applied on a nerve in your spine, the nerve energy is interrupted, and sometimes this can profoundly affect the function of other systems or organs in your body.

Hope this helps,
Michael
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:46 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I am currently going through lower back issues since last week. I finally got in for the MRI last night and Staci looking at the pictures thinks its defiantly a crushed disc. I'll get the official word I guess today when the Dr looks at them to see whats going on.

There is some kind of new out-patient laser surgury that I have been hearing about that only take you out for a day or so. Not sure if thats whats applicable here with my situation but I guess like I said I will get more details hopefully later today.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Thanks for the responses. I figured others would have the problem. Chris, let me know how you make out.

As for Chiropractor I live in the philadelphia area.

Thanks
Old April 9th, 2010, 11:22 AM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

I had a herniated disc (L5S1 I think) about 5 years ago. Pain running from my butt cheek to my heel (sciatica.) Saw a physical therapist who did some sort of massaging ultrasound that helped, exercised to strengthen abs and lower back but was still miserable. After a few months, I made an appt with a neurosurgeon determined to make the pain go away. The week before the appt I went on a vigorous hike, felt much better, and never had the surgery. I get a twinge every now and then but no pain.

I don't know if the hike did the trick or enough time had passed for whatever was pushing on the nerve to shrivel up. When I checked into the various treatments, I found that after a few years those who didn't have surgery were about as "healed" as those who did. After witnessing my boss almost dying from a staph infection he got in the hospital, I'm glad I didn't have the surgery. But, I was so miserable I was headed down that path.

Things that may have helped: I drive a lot so I got a rigid steel framed folding seat and put it in my car's driver's seat (still use it in my commuter today,) and took my wallet out of my back pocket. Lost a few pounds and that can't hurt. My belief is that over time the "jelly" that pooches out of the "doughnut" and irritates the nerve dries up and retracts away from the nerve and the pain eventually subsides. But I ain't no doctor. Good luck.
Old April 9th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Thanks for all the advice.
Old April 9th, 2010, 11:30 AM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

Swim laps...lots of them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 9th, 2010, 11:54 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Going through this now as well. Since my early 20s about once every couple of years I get some horrific lower back pain. I assumed it was from working my glamour muscles at the gym and having no core strength. It was gone for a long time but in the last six months I have had an insane flare up. I am taking mobic daily and in physical therapy twice a week. Really trying to stick with the core exercises like bridges and bird/dog. I am about to get an MRI to see if the disc is indeed slipped. From my ass pain running into hamstring I assume it is. I am not sure I am a candidate for surgery yet because I am still able to get around. My biggest pain comes from when I am sitting and decide to get up. Its like my back is frozen. After moving for a few minutes it feels better.
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Going through this now as well. Since my early 20s about once every couple of years I get some horrific lower back pain. I assumed it was from working my glamour muscles at the gym and having no core strength. It was gone for a long time but in the last six months I have had an insane flare up. I am taking mobic daily and in physical therapy twice a week. Really trying to stick with the core exercises like bridges and bird/dog. I am about to get an MRI to see if the disc is indeed slipped. From my ass pain running into hamstring I assume it is. I am not sure I am a candidate for surgery yet because I am still able to get around. My biggest pain comes from when I am sitting and decide to get up. Its like my back is frozen. After moving for a few minutes it feels better.
Same here.....getting up after sitting is brutal...
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:32 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
Same here.....getting up after sitting is brutal...
Do you fee better once you are moving?
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:45 PM
T.U.
Pete
94 D90

I've had some issues. Stress fractures, bulged disks and torn muscles.

When I'm injured, everything seems to seize up when I'm still. Moving helps.

My biggest savior is a hot tub. I have a small soft tub that heats off of the pump(keeps the electric bill down).

It melts the pain away pretty well. For a ruptured disk, I don't think it will end your pain. But I'll bet it will give you a good bit of relief.

When you're up to it, work on core strengthening. That mixed with hot tub therapy should keep you going pretty well.

Avoid the meds as much as you can.

ETA: Make sure your shoes have some good cushioned soles and inserts. Stay off of the concrete.
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:55 PM
mmac
Mark M
LR3-95 D-90

I had this about a year and a half ago so I have a lot of information on it. Once I got through the MRI it was clear I had a severe herniation of L5S1. So I can relate, worst pain you can imagine... I crawled for a month...

I was able to get it under control with the cortizone injections in the spine. Ouch.... You'll jump off the table the first time they get the nerve... However, after the second one I was doing a lot better.

The surgery and the recovery depends on where the herniation is, the severity and the shape you are in. Mine was so low and severe they could only do a spinal fusion. I did everything to avoid it and was succesful. The other Micro procedures are much simpler and a buddy had one done and he was up walking 2 hours later. So it all depends.

I would do the following-

Get in MRI right away. The only thing you are doing is guessing until then.
In the meantime find a good neurosurgeon. He will only see you after you have an MRI.
Depending on that you can discuss options with him/her.
Avoid surgery at all costs either way....

Good luck. I can share the specifics about mine with you if you have questions or need more info. Long story, but in the end I went running for 3 miles last week and only limited numbness in the leg.

Oh, and you can see from where your pain radiates down the leg which disk it is and that can also give you an idea of the severity. Just google that.

Mark

------ Follow up post added April 9th, 2010 01:07 PM ------

I should add that if you did this recently you should not put heat to it. You should ice it. I had one Dr. tell me to put heat on it. That increases swelling to the area which is in turn putting more pressure on the damaged nerve. You have to ice it, even weeks after it. The ice makes it feel great, the only way I could sleep even on 2000mg of ibuprofen and percocets. However, when you take the ice off blood moves into the cold area and helps pull out the swelling. This is what my neurosurgeon told me.... With all the professions on this board, stunned we haven't had a DR chime in yet....
Old April 9th, 2010, 02:16 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Hey Mark

Sucks about the back. How is cali treating you? Have you been to casia bianca or zelos yet? Its getting close to lunch so instead of thinking about my painful back I rather think of food.
Old April 9th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Lucasd2002
David Lucas
[VACANT]

After having an MRI in high school, a doctor diagnosed me with a "slipped disk" - hurt like a sonofabitch. It still bothers me on occasion.
Old April 9th, 2010, 02:42 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

damn in highschool has to sucks
Old April 9th, 2010, 03:18 PM
mmac
Mark M
LR3-95 D-90

Barry,

Yea, they hurt... Cali is treating us well, if I could only spend more time here. Spent the last couple weeks traveling for work and unpacking boxes. The 90 is ready to go though, just had a quick look over from Pete and the Huntington service center.

When is everyone going to do a meet up and go on some middle of the road trails? I see a rock crawling trip, not my speed, but looking to get out.

Mark
Old April 9th, 2010, 06:43 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmac View Post
I was able to get it under control with the cortizone injections in the spine. Ouch.... You'll jump off the table the first time they get the nerve... However, after the second one I was doing a lot better.
I am no stranger to getting those in my neck for my bone spurring so I think that will be the next step if the meds dont help by next week.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old April 9th, 2010, 06:52 PM
slangel
Staci V
2000 DII. Death by fallen tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc View Post
I am no stranger to getting those in my neck for my bone spurring so I think that will be the next step if the meds dont help by next week.
I have a feeling , that's what is on the plate for Monday if you want to remotely move around at SCARR, but a more permanent fix will have to be addressed with all four discs. You were just jealous of all the metal I had in my back weren't you?
Old April 9th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Do you fee better once you are moving?
I feel much better once I strech and move.
Old April 10th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Cory
Shane
D90SW 1997

Richard, welcome to the club.

I've been dealing with four for five years now. I've tried just about everything aside from surgery, which is inevitable.

There are a few experimental treatments that worked wonders but have other side effects.

Honestly, the thing that keeps me on my feet with the least amount of pain is yoga - although the pain delivered by those exercises rivals the back pain.

Also, if you're an office dweller like me, get a great chair. I switched to the new Embody chair a year ago and it really helped. It's expensive but you can be more productive with it.

You should also schedule a visit to the Virginia Spine Center. They'll give you a dead honest assessment. A surgeon there has also gone through back surgery himself which makes me feel a bit more confident.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac