Bad Back - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 10th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Thanks for all the great advice. I had an MRI about 1 year ago. I have two herniations and some other problems. The pain shooting down my leg I got to stop for the most part through pt. Still it is the pain and stiffness that really gives me a hard time across my low back mostly on the right side.I Don't take any pills for it so I just try to deal with the pain. I have tried almost everything. Been walking 2 miles a night. Feels good when I'm walking but after I sit or get up from bed it is always a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2010, 12:58 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmac View Post
.... With all the professions on this board, stunned we haven't had a DR chime in yet....
It's called self-preservation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 12th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Gardner
Gardner Congdon
'84 RHD D90 300Tdi

herniated disc

I've had my L5 S1 herniate several times. The last one forced me to cancel 5 days of boot camp at Fort Jackson- a once in a lifetime opportunity. I've had steroid injections several times and this usually clears it up comparitively quickly for me. Procedure isn't bad, but can be pretty painful- IMO it is worth it, and if you ask them to inject the steroid slowly it can be done without any pain.

For me, swimming is the best PT. Hard for me to get to a pool though. I've seriously considered saving up for one of those endless lap pools where you swim into a current. Last I looked they were like 15k tho

Other than that core strengthening is really good, as is making sure you are as mobile as possible. If you can arrange a standing desk for work that can help some.

Hang in there. It has been almost 2 years since my last herniation- maybe all the jelly has left the doughnut.

-Gardner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2010, 02:53 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Here's some info from my wife, a physical therapy student about a week from taking her final board exam that will make her official.

According to her, 60% of males over age 30 have herniated discs. Many who have them don't even know they do, so it's not necessarily something to get worried about unless you're in pain.

Physical therapy may be a really good option for you. It's different from chiropractic care in that a physical therapist will actually attempt to fix the underlying issue whereas chiropractors are more geared to ongoing visits for manipulation that bring short-term pain relief. PTs do manipulation too, but they are more focused on correcting the deficiencies that cause the pain in the first place. It's usually a lot of specific exercises that strengthen the muscles around the affected area.

I also learned from her that pain is very often "referred", meaning that it originates in a different place than where you are feeling it. I've been having lower back pain lately but it turns out that it's actually coming from my right hip and is caused by weak hip flexors. Who knew?

Definitely talk to your regular doctor and get a referral to Physical Therapy and give that a shot before you consider surgery. Surgery is a major deal and it can take many months or even years to recover.
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Thanks for all the great advice.

I'm going to continue the PT and look into giving the shots a try.
Rich
Old April 12th, 2010, 05:03 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

My MRI is tomorrow
Old April 12th, 2010, 10:55 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

For what it's worth, I hurt my rotator cuff badly while riding a 20" bike a few years ago. I tried all sorts of stuff to fix it. The steroid shots made it feel better but the results were short-lived. The shots were also really freaking painful and really expensive. I finally "fixed" the shoulder with a month in the gym doing a series of exercises that my wife assigned me.
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:05 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
It's called self-preservation.
nah this sounds like a typical day in the office
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:17 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner View Post
Other than that core strengthening is really good, as is making sure you are as mobile as possible. If you can arrange a standing desk for work that can help some.

-Gardner
My back hurt most when I was sitting behind a desk all day as an IT person some years ago with about 10-15 extra pounds. I've had an MRI and I don't know what is messed up for certain but there is at least a herniated disk or 2. I just try to be active as possible and that seems to help save for a crash or weird move while snowboarding or riding the bike. Then I get some adjustment from the chiropractor and it seems to help. Looking to do some Yoga as some riding buddies say it helps.
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:07 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by draaronr View Post
nah this sounds like a typical day in the office
Haha so true. I especially like: "Doc I have a really high pain tolerance". Yeah...don't ever say that to a doctor, especially if you're in the office complaining about how much pain you're in, you'll lose all credibility. You guys have no idea how often we hear that. We believe you when you tell us you're in pain, well I do anyway.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:22 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

all I can recommend, don't put off finding the cause. I ran marathons/triathlons and powerlifted for 25+ years. Never listened to the body, and had a total knee at 46, now looking at a rod from L2 to S1- and they don't even want to discuss the C issues. I waited til I started having deficits (ignore the pain mentallity) and it's way too late. As the neurosurgeon told me- my body is cashing checks it wrote 30 years ago. The adreniline junkie lifestyle doesn't help much either. Take care of it- your back, while you can, aka PT, etc.... and as my Dad tried to tell me- moderation in all things. Good luck

Old April 13th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

My 2 cents worth, Richard, keeping in mind that everyones situation is different;

One discogram told more than all the MRI's, CT scans, and x-rays combined about the location and extent of my injuries as well as helping pinpoint areas for treatment.

Deep epidural injections (not just facets) every few months have been the only useful method of controlling pain (and I have tried some pretty crazy shit).

Research will show you that surgery outcomes can vary greatly. There is a risk/reward decision that needs to be weighed. They can't make you young again.

I used to think I was pretty tough but the shit will grind your ass down... pain is a terrible master. I've given up activities that I used to think I lived for. I just don't care. I don't want to hurt like that any more. I've decided that there's something to be said for just being able to get up, go to work, and make a living every day.

Although I get around like an old man now, I'm still happy.

I especially enjoy gardening.
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Gardner
Gardner Congdon
'84 RHD D90 300Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
For what it's worth, I hurt my rotator cuff badly while riding a 20" bike a few years ago. I tried all sorts of stuff to fix it. The steroid shots made it feel better but the results were short-lived. The shots were also really freaking painful and really expensive. I finally "fixed" the shoulder with a month in the gym doing a series of exercises that my wife assigned me.
Yup- I've heard that about the shots for shoulder injuries as well as elbows. Those shots can cause tissue wastage as well and you can end up with a divvot in your arm. The injection for the low back is different though- the steroid goes into some space between your spinal cord and the sheath that holds it in place. The injection isn't really painful unless they push it in too fast- then it's just a lot of pressure on the spinal cord all at once which is unpleasant. First time I had it done I rode my road bike 20 miles the next day pain free. Kind of a mistake though- you really should take it easy for a few days so the steroid can sit in place and do its job.

Another thing to be aware of is that the material inside the disc (the jelly in the doughnut) is very inflamatory to nerve tissue, so you get pain from the disc material pushing on the nerve root as well as pain from the jelly burning the nerve. As someone else mentioned you can also get referred pain from pressure on the nerve- pain in the leg when the actual problem is in the lumbar spine...
Old April 13th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
As the neurosurgeon told me- my body is cashing checks it wrote 30 years ago. The adreniline junkie lifestyle doesn't help much either.
Amen to that

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 13th, 2010, 02:45 PM
JMPDIV82
Gregg O'Neill
97/D90

I recommend donating your Defender to me since your will not be able to enjoy it with your bad back. Sitting in these trucks can lead to all kinds of pain

Everyone has great recommendations but you need to find those things that make it feel better for you. There is no one solution.
I have 3 compressed 1 torn and a herniated disk in my lumbar region caused by a previous lifestyle. After years of pain I have found consistent physical activity alleviates the pain. Craze as it sounds running and lifting helps me. Additionally I head to the Witch doctor twice a month for an adjustment. Good luckÖ. The best advice I can give you is wait on getting cut as long as you can. The medical technology is still too primitive to fix your disk problems.
Old April 13th, 2010, 06:50 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Had my MRI today. It sucked donkey dick. I didn't realize how much it sucked to be in that tube. Sure it is open on both ends but the feeling of not being able to move my arms and get out was terrible. Also I felt like if I weighed two more pounds I would have gotten stuck.

Going to doc tomorrow to have it read. My fucking calf has been killing me. Siatic nerve I guess
Old April 14th, 2010, 08:45 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Counting my blessings. 50 years and no problems with my back. Staying out of emergency rooms, that's another story. My ortho guy is on speed dial.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 14th, 2010, 09:35 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

truthfully, the ortho stuff is my root cause- shattered a pelvis at 17, left one leg slightly longer d/t misalignment, then a total knee after 25 years of running and wearing a hole through my patella and huge arthritic issues, a correction in leg length at the time of sx, poof, back problems. Of course hitting a deer at 60mph on a motorcycle a few years back didn't help much either- hit chest to chest w/ a horn penitrating my hand. And a couple thoracic stress fx along the way from skiing and heavy dead lifts, and on and on and....

Old April 14th, 2010, 10:15 AM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

My rotator cuff is toast and I would love to know what those exercises are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I finally "fixed" the shoulder with a month in the gym doing a series of exercises that my wife assigned me.
Old April 14th, 2010, 11:01 AM
grendel
Scott Goforth

I had terrible back pain several years ago. Could barely get out of bed, couldn't walk correctly or even put on my shoes without help form my wife. Turns out I had 2 ruptured disk. (L4, L5) this in turn was causing the nerve damage and the resulting problems. I had a lamenectomy, a procedure where the surgeon removes part of the bone to create space for the nerve to heal. This was the best choice and theresults have been fantastic. I'm back to playing and coaching soccer & playing competitive tennis. One thing I would recommend is that if you decide to go this route is that you only let a neurosurgeon do the procedure. I have several other compadres who had a similar surgury done by an orthopedic surgeon and they have had complications. Good luck
Scott

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac