Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 8th, 2015, 08:53 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Backup Camera Recommendation

I know someone here must have shopped for these before.

Anyone know of a decent backup camera for a decent price? Most of the cheapo, chinese-made units for under $20 have terrible reviews and apparently dying in a few weeks time. Wouldn't mind spending more (under $100) if I can assure it's a quality camera and won't break after a good rain.

I'm installing it on the RRC that I just installed a Kenwood HU with a 3" display.

Appreciate any recommendations. Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2015, 08:58 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The one I have I bought for $15 out of China many years ago. It works great. Never had a problem.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 8th, 2015, 09:06 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It looks like this one: http://www.amazon.com/XO-Vision-HTC3.../dp/B001P3PSR6

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Thanks John!

Did yours come with a bracket for mounting or did you have to fab one? I've been trolling amazon and most of the ones I found had good reviews but a number of 1 star rating complaining about the longevity. I'll keep searching... prefer one with a mounting bracket as I don't have access or ability to fabricate one.

Thanks again!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 8th, 2015, 09:39 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
There are some where you swap out the rearview mirror for one with the screen built into it. I'd be interested in that style. Anyone fitted one to a Defender?

FWIW, I had an '07 Range Rover with a backup camera, but you couldn't see the RR in the screen, so no reference point. Kinda sucked...
Old February 8th, 2015, 09:48 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
There are some where you swap out the rearview mirror for one with the screen built into it. I'd be interested in that style. Anyone fitted one to a Defender? FWIW, I had an '07 Range Rover with a backup camera, but you couldn't see the RR in the screen, so no reference point. Kinda sucked...
User pipermalibu installed one in his vehicle
Old February 8th, 2015, 09:48 PM
COJ142
Michael Giroux
1985 Defender 110 CSW RHD

I went with the Pioneer ND-BC6. Comes with bracket. Great visibility- day and night.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130NDBC...9205945&awdv=c
Old February 8th, 2015, 09:59 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
They have wireless ones now that seem to be getting good reviews. I was looking for something cheap for the f250 for backing up to a trailer.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 9th, 2015, 12:22 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
I have installed one on both my P38 and my in law's forester. I fed all the wiring through oem raceways so it was a bit of a pita. It's the best way to do it, though! All hardwired so that you mitigate potential interference issues, although I've never heard of any. Just doing my thing, overkill everything. Go with the 170 degree lens or greater with what they refer to as night vision. Otherwise, your reverse light won't cast enough light at the correct wavelength for the camera to pick anything up. CMOS, or the other format they tout, is apparently better than the older ccv feeds. I added a backup aux light to solve the problem, but a better camera would have saved me the trouble. Make sure it has the parking assist lines as they help give perspective if you need it. They are adjustable. Most cameras come with brackets and are easily manipulate. Others have infrared lights to help the camera. Just figure out what's going to look best for your application point. If you have a head unit that will accept the feed and automatically switch to show the reverse camera feed when it turns on and sends a signal to the hu, then you're golden. The camera gets its power from the reverse lights, so when they turn on, so does the camera and the feed signal is sent. It's pretty simple piggyback wiring back there. All that said, I hear the license plate camera units work well too! ;-)

If you want to know about the video embedded replacement mirrors, read on or pm me.

I used the full replacement oem style mirrors with the embedded screens. It's such a clean look and at your mirrors are where your eyes should be in reverse anyways. Plenty of suppliers and cheap Chinese copies. A few of them have gps built in as well. The one by secure view, sv9160n.III, a division of Crimestopper out of SoCal won high praise at SEMA 2014. Rockford group then bought them a month later and stalled the product's release. I was bummed because I like it the most for fit and finish. The ones that look just like it are obviously the CCC (cheap Chinese copies) and ymmv. Anyone that claims to sell the 3rd generation 9160 is lying because it hasn't been produced yet. I know as I have been talking to RF in AZ about the product. Obviously I want one badly! ;-)

Audiovox makes a nice one as well. Just not quite the look I wanted, but close. It's the nm.102. Full replacement mirror with embedded Gps, back up cam, Bluetooth, etc. they all seem to use the igo primo GPS platform. Advent makes the actual GPS mirror (and is a known player in the market and not a fly by night Chinese knockoff company), but the parent companies of both these systems are American, if that matters to you.

On a defender, power is already up at the map light so a full replacement video mirror should be as easily accomplished as in any vehicle. Wire routing is up to you. Just my .02.
Old February 9th, 2015, 12:51 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Think this would be appropriate for a rover. http://www.vision-systems.com/articl...ollisions.html
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old February 9th, 2015, 03:05 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Dave, thanks for the write up, what Camera did you use? Brand and link will help greatly.

Michael, that camera looks good but a little too much than what I want to spend. How long have you had it? Has it been as waterproof as advertised?

Doug, I saw those too, but I'm trying to hook up to a Kenwood head unit that I bought. I don't know how those wireless will interface.

Tyler, that's a pretty crazy system, but glad to know those things exist.

Thanks again everyone, I'll update this thread with the camera I choose and try to do a review for archival and future search purposes .

Old February 9th, 2015, 03:40 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
The wireless systems aren't necessarily proprietary and can also come as a 2.4ghz kit. It simply has two small transponder/receiver boxes, each with its own antenna. The wiring is still RCA. One in back to send the signal when it gets power from the camera via the reverse lights, and another that receives and sends to the head unit via RCA. It's exactly like the wired system, but with wireless jumping the transverse cable from the camera to the head unit. Imo, any system should work with any head unit. I'll send a link to the one I bought. Camera and mirror included, but without the GPS bells and whistles. That'll be next.
Old February 9th, 2015, 03:49 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Ironically I'm dealing with replacing the stock camera on my '06 range. Bought one of the China mades and it was shit. So my buddy had an extra pioneer system. Works great.
As far as my D90, I use a pioneer system and just upgraded to the 5600 something or the other from my antiquated avic n2 from a decade ago.
So I guess I'm saying pioneer cameras rock. And are pretty universal.
Old February 9th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Al, off subject but while I'm at it, was it a PITA to replace the camera in the '06 RR? I also have the same truck and have been complaining about the shitty camera.

Dave, I'll wait for the camera info.

Old February 9th, 2015, 04:00 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Glenn are you on roversnet.com? I use the same handle and just posted up my follow up from what some dude just did and some other backup camera related stuff
But to answer your question. It's totally easy. My buddy who does this shit for a living had never touched a range, thinking itd be super complicated. But like so many say. It's still a truck that needs oil gas and the same basic shit as any other truck.
You have to do it. PM w any issues. I'd send the link but I'm on my phone and I'll probably break something.
Old February 9th, 2015, 10:16 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Hi Al, do you by chance mean rangerovers.net? If you do, then yes, I am on there as Big_Bertha, but did not catch your post. Is it in the L322 forum or rrc forum? Anyway, I'll search for it... thanks!

Old February 9th, 2015, 10:31 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Duh yeah. Sorry.
Under l322/mkiii.
Old February 9th, 2015, 11:06 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Not sure of the brand but Costco is selling a kit right now. I'll get the model next time I'm in there
Old February 9th, 2015, 11:07 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Guess it can't be worse than the made in China eBay crap
Old February 10th, 2015, 03:19 AM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Chinese ones either died or were ruined after a rainstorm or from road salt. I went through three of them and eventually bought a pioneer that was desjnfed for the head unit. Definetly worth the price.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac