Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 11th, 2011, 08:44 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Back from my first off-road day

Well despite my buddy bailing on me last minute with his Jeep, I still made it to Forked River for some wheelin in the Pine Barrens.

While my girlfriend sat through a dreaded baby shower in her home town (Forked River NJ), I took her truck and the dog out for some wheelin by myself. I had a general idea of where to go but no clue as to where the trail heads were. After a little bit of back and forth I found my way to a dirt road and took it. Aired down and hit some real tight, but dry sections. After going over some pretty steep "moguls" I meanderd back out to the road and then found the real trail head right off the parkway and spent an hour or 3 wandering around aimlessly.

I have to say, i never really understood what all this Defender buzz was about, even after a couple months of owning this truck i was like.. eh its cool but it doesn't look all that more capable than a jeep or any other jacked up truck....

But now... all I can say is I get it. This thing is a beast. The approach and departure angles of this thing are un-real. Despite what i thought was a not so high ground clearnce of the pumpkins, not once did I come close to bottoming out. Also - I was able to hit what I'll call moguls but were a bit bigger, that literally looked like ^ without high centering it.

There were alot of mud holes with PLENTY of water in them due to recent storms. Trails were tight but I found more issues with the height of my truck and the trees limbs above rather than the width of it. Good thing no one can see the roof so if it gets scratched I dont care (although I dont think any damage was done).

The tires that are on the truck rock. Rarely would I feel them spin but when they did they just dug in and cut through the mud/sand dragging the truck forward and not digging it deeper. I only aired down to 25lbs but it seemed to be just fine.

I've also realize that the diagram on the knob of the diff lock handle is totally irrelavent to the position needed to engage it. Thank god my light on the dash was working otherwise I would have no clue if I had 4High locked in or not (obviously you can tell rather quickly when your in 4 low).

Lessons learned:

If you cant see the bottom of a mud puddle - check it, even if 99 of the previous hundred have all been totally navigatble. The only mud hole I didn't check turned out to be ALOT deeper than I thought... like up to the hood deep, and my hood is a good 4.5' off the ground. Luckily I was able to get one wheel up on the side and back out of it without any issues. Pretty stupid on my part since I was all alone WITHOUT a winch.

I'm uploading a vid now and if it gets up on youtube I'll post it. For now - here are a couple very random pics of me trying to make sure the go-pro was working, but I had it in Photo mode by mistake lol... dont mind my ugly mug:

All in all it was a blast, the truck worked great and I would love to do it again with anyone whos willing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0002.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	41931   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0003.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	41932  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2011, 09:58 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Good to hear you had some fun. I know of the "moguls" you talk about, think I uploaded some of the short vids my father took on my youtube account, maybe they are the say. The ride is different from coils to leafs lol. Its always the one you dont check that gets you.
Old September 11th, 2011, 10:13 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
Good to hear you had some fun. I know of the "moguls" you talk about, think I uploaded some of the short vids my father took on my youtube account, maybe they are the say. The ride is different from coils to leafs lol. Its always the one you dont check that gets you.

It wasn't the moguls on the trail, but rather the first place i turned onto had this "hills" to sort of block the access.... The moguls on the trail were just anoying for my dog, these blockade type things were pretty steep on both sides and I was really impressed with how easily I got up and over them..

Here is a vid - its a bit boring bc I was going slow being by myself, but the mud starts around 9 min in. This was only a short clip on my way back to the road

Warning - I had the wrong sound setting on, might want to keep the volume real low!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2011, 12:09 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Your driving a diesel, right? You dont have to worry about water then except for getting into the intake. Nice vid, looks llike you have a ton of fun with all the water.
Old September 12th, 2011, 12:48 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

haha you have great stick in the water measuring skills! Good to see you made it out there. I would have gone down but we were prepping a friends truck for Canada. Next time for sure!
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:05 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
Your driving a diesel, right? You dont have to worry about water then except for getting into the intake. Nice vid, looks llike you have a ton of fun with all the water.

Correct - but still the intake is hood height and you see towards the end I got a bit close to that - mind you the hood on my truck is chest High and I;m 6' so whats that 4.5ft at least? Also the filter housing has a tiny dent in it, which breaks the seal and would allow water in a bit lower, although its so minor i'd have to be sitting in the water for awhile before enough water got in there to do any sort of damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
haha you have great stick in the water measuring skills! Good to see you made it out there. I would have gone down but we were prepping a friends truck for Canada. Next time for sure!

Like that huh? I only had work boots on so I wasn't going to wade through it myself. There will be a next time and i'll post up again for sure!
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:50 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Fair enough on the filter canister.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac