Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:49 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Baby Car Seat QUESTION

For those that have done it............

My wife and I are getting close to selling a car - and making the Defender our back up baby car. We currently have "car seat protectors" in our cars. They give like a 1/2" of protection to the seat that the car seat is crushed down on. Actually they are pretty nice, and you can still get the seat VERY tight - but months later when you take the seat out - there are not big divots in the seat.............

Which leads me to my question.

I think that if I put the Car Seat in the D-90, and really tighten it down, that is will crush what is left of the foam in the seat bottom. I might just do this anyway, and get a new seat bottom when the car seats are gone.........it is already torn............BUT

I am wondering if anyone has:
- Taken the seat bottom out
- Put down a car seat protector on the plywood box under the passenger seat.
- Tightened the car seat right down to the box.

It actually seems like you could get the seat tighter (easier), save your foam seat bottom, and have the baby seat a bit lower for getting the baby in and out????

Opinions?

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2007, 05:19 PM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

Bert;

I bought rubber mats (made by Graco) made for the cars seats that essentailly covers the entire bottom cushion and comes up to just above where most car seats rest against the rear cushion. I believe we got them at Walmart or Toys R Us. They come in tan and grey. In my wifes car we run two tan ones and I bought a grey one for my D90. Both sets of grandparents have them in their vehicles as well. Not only do they keep the car seat from destoying the leahter or cloth interior but they also prevent the usual food crumbs and drink spills from making their way into the cracks and creavisis of the seat.

Troy
Old August 4th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Troy,

Yeah - we have the car seat protectors and love them.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to remove the seat bottom, put the car seat protector on the box, and strap him right to the plywood box that is under the seat bottom............

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2007, 12:37 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Flagg, I thought of the same thing. I dont have my 90 anymore but if I recall without the seat bottom you might not be able to get the belt tight enough. I put mine on the seat with a rubber protector as already stated. My seat did crush but they went back after time.

Mike
Old August 4th, 2007, 06:16 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Baby seat - rear facing I never used in the D-90.

My daughter is now 8 and 60 lbs and we use a Gracco kids seat. It has full back and sides and she has had it for 4 years.
Never really worried about the Defender seat but it is OK, no wear n tear at all.
Cool thing I have is she is fully protected, we use the standard belt in that seat. She gets to sit up front, up high and loves it.

5oldern rules with kid seats: 1. never sideways, 2. tight tight tight, then tighten further, 3. never in front with an airbag, 4. you must feel sure, if not stop. 5. search this site for several threads great on the topic.
Old August 4th, 2007, 06:39 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
My daughter's (rearward-facing) car seat has a base that it locks into, I've had good luck mounting it down to the load floor behind the console by strapping it to the roll cage. I've also belted it down to the front passenger seat. After being there a month, it didnt seem like there were any permanent effects to the vinyl or the padding. Recovering a seat base is a pretty inexpensive prospect and easy prospect anyway.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat