Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 27th, 2007, 11:37 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Avert your eyes!

For some reason my D90 came with only one interior light - so being the non conformist I am I decided to literally double the number of lights in my truck to 2. I know how many D-90 owners hate anything on their trucks that isn't stock -So I just wanted to fore warn those owners not to look at my new light I designed and installed in my lower dash tray. I replaced the flasher switch, square clock and lighter with a couple of VDOs and the new light. I use it to illuminate the floor area and my iPod. I replaced the square clock with a VDO clock and installed it in a new two pod cluster with a VDO outside temperature gauge.

I have just sourced some fully water proof - marine grade - 5 LED strip lights. I should get them in a day or two. One is going under the hood for a little light action. The other is going to augment my main cabin light. If they work well enough I will get a couple more and tie them into the door switches and install them to illuminate the floor / steps when I open the truck doors. I'll keep the group posted on the results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dashgaugeswlight.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	8819  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2007, 02:03 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

after seeing your various posts over the years, and the article in LRL, I want to see your rig some time. It sounds like you`ve put alot of love into it.
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:23 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Lets meet

Since we are so close we should get together some time and talk trucks- I live and work at the north end of San Jose - I use to meet with JimC in Alviso- until he moved on to a new assignment. It is great to spend some time with others who share a common interest. I am usually availble after 3:pm - and on weekends. give me a call - my cell number is listed at the "contacts section" of my americandirtroads.com web site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2007, 08:48 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Looks good. Has anyone put a light in the back of their truck? (ST) It's kind've a pain having no light back there.
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I like it-I'm a pro-mod guy myself. Very interested in hearing a report out on your led additions. Under hood is appealing.

I am interested in adding a second courtesy light to the back cargo area of my 110. I have the later model type in mine. Does anyone know where to get the electrical harness plugs so I can extend my purple dome harness to the rear for #2? Anybody have good alternatives for lighting the rear area (12v - not batteries) that are rugged enough? Mike at ECR, I know you are wiz at this type of mod, and have probably seen it all. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:22 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
You have tons of options for interior, underhood, etc. A good place for a variety of leds is here:

http://www.iboats.com/LED_Boat_Light...44676--dz.6101

I installed one of these hidden on the back side of my brushbar facing the winch so I can see the drum at night when spooling:

http://www.iboats.com/Waterproof_L_E...-view_id.56664
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:47 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Sylvania Dot-it lights are great, I put one inside my rear storage box and another on the inside of my lift gate so I have light on the tailgate when folded down.
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:05 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Those are the exact LED lights I ordered - (just through a different source) They are made by SeaSense. I wasn't going to endorse them untill I had a chance to use them - sound like I made a good choice. That price is much better - I paid $14 a pop - I know where I am going to get the rest of my LED lights for my other projects. Thanks

Old March 28th, 2007, 10:22 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

that looks great Len! you makes some real quality stuff. I love my air intake and GPS navigation holder.
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

The choice is simple: Stop smoking, sell your old ash tray and install one of Len's Dash Mount Universal Kits.
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:35 PM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

Len-

For this past X-mas I directed my wife to your site for my wish list. She did the right thing and got the air intake and the dash mount. I never followed up with you, but those two items are the BOMB!!! My six year old tells me that Bomb means dope, dope means phat, phat means awesome, which is finally were I am going with this You make some AWESOME stuff!
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:23 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

I like it. I'm sticking with the mag light for now, but I may need to do something like this in the future. Nice job!
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:43 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Thanks for the complements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97D90
Len-

For this past X-mas I directed my wife to your site for my wish list. She did the right thing and got the air intake and the dash mount. I never followed up with you, but those two items are the BOMB!!! My six year old tells me that Bomb means dope, dope means phat, phat means awesome, which is finally were I am going with this You make some AWESOME stuff!

I am glad you like the gear - it should just about last forever! I guess you could use the air scoop as a mini shovel to dig your rover out of the sand if you had to!

Len

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erimus 1
The choice is simple: Stop smoking, sell your old ash tray and install one of Len's Dash Mount Universal Kits.
Even if you don't attach anything to the mount it looks cleaner than the ashtray. I have seen some very weatherbetan and sun warped defender ashtrays. If exposure to the sun ever warps that stainless steel plate I'll concede that Al Gore invented the internet and discovered global warming!

Len

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88
that looks great Len! you makes some real quality stuff. I love my air intake and GPS navigation holder.
It is great to see that you too appreciate good, clean and straight forward design. Everything I design and build should last the lifetime of the vehicle! . I did come up with a way to make the paint adhear better. I first metal etch , rinse, then dry the components. I use a big infrared heating device to preheat the items to be painted, Then I apply a thin coat of paint - dry it in front of the heater, then apply another thin coat of paint - I usually repeat this process 3 to 4 times. I then cook the items for 3 to 4 hours under the same heater. The finish isn't powdercoat - but it is pretty tough. The best part is that if you do manage to bugger the finish you can refinish it yourself with rustoleum. Bugger up powdercoating you'll be taking a trip to the shop for a new finish.

Old March 29th, 2007, 05:35 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Have you come up with a newer design for the center console to replace the towel holder cubby box? I really liked the design but want something secure, especially if I could have it in a satin or matte black
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

Do you mean this one Christian?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	catconsole2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	8855  
Old March 29th, 2007, 08:22 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Yea that's what I meant console-wise, but according to Len's website that cubby box is made out of thin guage steel b/c it is a paper towel holder which I think that is in the pic you posted. If not, and its a secure one now then I might be ordering one sooner than I thought
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:52 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Secure cubby box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg067i
Have you come up with a newer design for the center console to replace the towel holder cubby box? I really liked the design but want something secure, especially if I could have it in a satin or matte black
I am going to try and meet with a another good fabricator tomorrow who welds stainless - I will get a quote for a box the same size but made with 16 gauge stainless and a hinged lockable lid. Thanks for your patience - I have spent the last few months working on the dash console.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat