average cost per year? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 19th, 2006, 12:23 AM
1000kva
paul girard

average cost per year?

Hey guys,
What is the average upkeep cost for a 90 per year? not including fuel and insurance.
This does not include adding all the extra goodies, but if you just had a stock 90 and drove it as a daily driver. Also, is it more expensive depending on year? and is it more expensive to maintain if you have a Soft top versus a hard top?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I think the big question is if you do the work yourself. If you do, I would say the "upkeep" for any 5 year time, would be about $300/year. If you hire it out, I would say $1200/year again based on 5 year average. Add $150/year for fully synthetic lubricants, all minus normal oil changes. Total SWAG.
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:27 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
a few thousand depending. they are all about the same i guess. just depends on how the previous owners took care if it and even then I am not sure if that matters. just read this forum and you can get an idea. I dont think there is any preference SW or ST. I think 95 is the best year.
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2006, 10:56 PM
1000kva
paul girard

ok, is there a certain mileage point were you know it is going to get expensive for awhile? IE around 100,000k. I know that my (future)90 will be a TDI eventually but am just trying to get an idea as to when does it become cost effective to switch over to the TDI versus patching the OEM stuff. Also on the miles how often would you expect to redo the clutch? Is there a point where the auto tranny would have to be changed? I know that all this depends on the prior owner(s) but am just trying to get a ballpark idea.
Old September 25th, 2006, 04:14 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

There was some discussion in a thread on appropriate prices for a 1997 D-90 that mentioned 100k miles as the turning point to challenges. Also age is a factor because no matter how well looked after, these are 10 - 15 year old vehicles.
So a couple of hundred $ a year is my spend with the occassional screw up like this year went I spent $1200 because I am not good under the hood so when the radiator blew up (turns out it did not blow up, a clamp poped off). But I am a fool on any vehicle so...
My wife had a Lexus 330, we spend $1000 a year on regular maintance so my D-90 is cost effective!
Old September 25th, 2006, 06:45 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Average upkeep for a D-90? How much do you have in your bank account?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old September 25th, 2006, 09:44 PM
bterpstra
Brian Terpstra

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin
Average upkeep for a D-90? How much do you have in your bank account?
So far, the 1994 Defender with 120k on the odometer is costing me about the same as my 1992 Lexus ES300. Actually a bit less since the D has no A/C condensor to replace. Over the 6 yrs I owned the Lexus, I spent $300-$1200 per year, excluding normal oil changes. The 94 D90 is running at the low end of that range. Other than fluids and self-induced repairs due to severe owner idiocy, I've been running at about $300/yr for various little fiddly bits. I do none of the work myself, so those expenses include labor.

Actual maintenance items have been limited to: small dash panels, center wheel caps that like to fall off, seatbelts that were frayed, suicidal mass airflow sensors, light bulbs, worn center differential linkage, minor clutch adjustment issue. The linkage, dash panels and clutch were deferred maintenance items from the prior owner.

I'm not counting a) self-induced expenses due to owner stupidity (transfer case) b) upgrades, c) cracked glass that any other vehicle would have had.

Honestly, it's been one of the more reliable vehicles I've owned. Mostly since the D doesn't have any luxury/convenience items & only has those elements abslolutely necessary to support life at 75mph, there's a whole lot fewer potential things to replace.
Old September 25th, 2006, 10:36 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I guess it just depends on what you want to do. If you just want to change the oil and do the minimum, sure, you can get away on $300 a year. I'm pretty fanatical about keeping it clean and running good fluids in it, so my basic maintenance is more. I spend about $10/week at the self-serve car wash with the spray wand. I spend a lot when I change the fluids because I like to run Lucas additives in the crankcase and in the fuel every once in a while. I've changed spark plugs and wires, had the radiator rebuilt with a 4-core unit, replaced a manifold gasket...I guess it's not that bad. The big cost is the upgrades. $1200 for my tires, $600 for the rims, $800 for the stuff to do the lift. A new soft top would have cost me $2200, had my roommate not refurbished it with his sewing machine. I just spent $300 to have my front driveshaft rebuilt with a double-cardon joint. My truck needs a new gearbox (syncros are busted), and that's going to cost me at least a couple of grand.

HTH,

Chris

/
/
/
/
Old September 25th, 2006, 11:08 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
If you are going to wheel it, expect to spend a lot more.

hth
charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat