Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 23rd, 2012, 08:32 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Avalanche air bags

Thinking to buy an avalanche airbag ... Probably a mammut RAS because of the mechanical release. Not worried about a radio version as I don't spend enough time backcountry to have a bunch of friends with the same system.

Anyone have an avalanche airbag system already? Any tips?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2012, 08:40 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Thinking to buy an avalanche airbag ... Probably a mammut RAS because of the mechanical release. Not worried about a radio version as I don't spend enough time backcountry to have a bunch of friends with the same system.

Anyone have an avalanche airbag system already? Any tips?
I can certainly see a benefit to owning one of those in downtown Manhattan.

Or are you worried about the excessive influx of fat New Jersey-ians heading to Killington that may disrupt their current seismic activity?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:09 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I'm always concerned about the bridge and tunnel crowd.

I've got 10 days in chamonix mid jan and generally get around 20 days a year on a big mountain out of bounds.

Chamonix is having a great start to the season and if I got swept by an avalanche I'd be pretty pissed for not buying a bag ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:18 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ah to be young and single again! My 30 days/yr skiing are a thing of the past....

I mock because I'm jealous! Last year was the first year I haven't gone skiing since I was like 10. Of course, it was because the weather sucked.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:18 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

I am in the market as well. I have dealt with BCA in boulder a few times and they have been top notch in the past. I appreciate that they have a more reasonable priced bag and inflation system, as well as offering a bag that is more tuned to user's needs. Like the snowmobiler bag is on the right shoulder so you can stay in the throttle until the last second and rip,if you need to while staying in the throttle.

I have yet to try one on. I plan to next month in SLC with my riding coat and vest on to see if its a natural fit. I have installed a tunnel bag on my summit so I no longer need to have a pack with large capacity, and their snowmobile volume is plenty. They have lots of larger bags as well and solution if you need backcountry or ski stuff, etc.

I looked into lots of brands, but for me, I Plan to buy a BCA. Just my thoughts.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:44 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Ah to be young and single again! My 30 days/yr skiing are a thing of the past....

I mock because I'm jealous! Last year was the first year I haven't gone skiing since I was like 10. Of course, it was because the weather sucked.
WTF you talking about ... I'm 42 and getting married in September. Hardly young and single!

I used to get 30 plus in the French alps doing long weekends from the UK ... Now it's a couple of big trips.

I can't imagine not skiing ... I

------ Follow up post added December 23rd, 2012 09:46 PM ------

I'm looking at mammut or ABS ... Weighted towards mammut because its less expensive and less complex trigger.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:59 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

ABS looks well and is my second choice. I've just dealt with BCA before and enjoyed the experience. Hard to get good support these days, but I have not dealt with ABS. I assume they are ok.
Old December 24th, 2012, 01:16 AM
california
Geoff M
97 D90 SW

I have a simple riding pack from Mystery Ranch
I know they make an air bag pack

The quality is military grade/overbuilt I am sure their bag is very good.

For Chamonix you might want a parachute as well...
Old December 24th, 2012, 06:23 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Wait, your 42 and still single? I bet you were Brad Paisleys inspiration for "online". Its not so much getting married as it is having kids. Its a lot easier to get some one to watch your cat for a week or two, than it is a couple kids.

-Jeff

More like Ian Fleming's inspiration for James Bond. To know Jason is to understand.
Old December 24th, 2012, 06:52 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
More like Ian Fleming's inspiration for James Bond. To know Jason is to understand.
Thank you George!

Jeff only knows me through my Instagram cat photo persona.
Old March 8th, 2013, 11:29 AM
mightymg
Lane Farka
97 D90, 05 LR3, 95 RRC LWB

I have an ABS pack and love. Only fired it off 1 time and it was in my garage in the summer for a test. Too dangerous out there not to have one. I have 2 buddies with baca packs and they love them.

95 RRC LWB-- DD
97 D90 37 " krawlers, coilovers, beadlocks, stretched
05 LR3 - Mamas/ tow rig

- Moab rally vids 2010
Old March 8th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

My buddy just got an abs pack and really likes the fit. And he is dead set on the twin back being better than one.
Old March 8th, 2013, 11:48 AM
willhahn24
William
1995 D90 SW #450

I thought about buying an airbag some time ago but after taking some classes and doing lots of reading I decided against it. If your snow tests are inconclusive or there are persistent weak layers, best to ski something where the aspect isn't steep enough to slide. Even with the airbag you still have a good chance of trauma in a slide, granted the only deaths on record so far were due to malfunction of earlier models. (All victims were also the ones who initiated the slide and never caught infront of one). I bought an avalung and hope I never have to use it but I never ski the bc or sc alone. Hopefully your with friends who are equally or better trained in the event of a slide and you travel so that no more than 1 person is stuck in the sediment. Sometimes you could be on a safe aspect but someone on another aspect could trigger a slide and you could be caught in the runout. My rule of thumb is, if there is any doubt head home and live to see another day. Sometimes this is a tough decision to make, especially after you have traveled who know how far and hike for how ever many hours. Just my two cents...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat