Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 10th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Peter C Trevanna
Peter C Trevanna
1994 Discovery 300tdi
Australia to New Mexico

Hello, my name is Peter C Trevanna, I'm an Australian who is in process of re-location to New Mexico to operate a buisness in the town of Mayhill, I presently own a 1994 Discovery fited with the 300tdi engine, I'm aware that 300tdi motors are being retrofitted to earlier machines in America, so clearly the engines are acceptable in U.S.A.
What I wish to do is bring my Discovery with me but am getting conflicting advice, no one in Australia really seems to know what to do, its a 7 seat fully optioned except for drivers air bag which I know was standard on all North American Specifaction Discoveries, I've only owned this machine a short time & passed on purchase of an earlier [1980 ] Range Rover having owned one before & preferring the Discovery, which was priced at $7,000 Australian almost $6,000 under current prices so was a considerable bargin,therefore I do not wish to have to dispose of it in favour of an earlier machine.
As I've said no one I've spoken to seems to know exactly what to do, comments have ranged from impossibile to if its fitted with the air bag it'll be alright in New Mexico, now I need advice\assistance, like I said I want to bring the machine with me & would only consider disposing of it for an earlier vehicle as a very last resort.
Ok I'll end here for now I can also be contacted via e-mail & I look foward to hearing from someone soon.

Old May 10th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor
Let me know when you get to NM. You can join us on our club runs if you'd like... the web site. There is currently a thread on frame swap & importation. One of the posts has links to NHTSA information about importing. I doubt you could import it permanently but you might get it in temporarily for a year. If you own it right and your move to NM will be permanent, you might do better to sell it for a profit and buy a NAS spec truck here rather than hassle with importation. The only down side to that would be having to give up the diesel for a petrol motor. Good luck whichever way you go.

Here is the NHTSA link...

Rob Dassler
SWR Automotive
505-872-7818 (shop)
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:30 AM
93 NAS 110
Originally Posted by Peter C Trevanna
Hello, my name is Peter C Trevanna, I'm an Australian who is in process of re-location to New Mexico to operate a buisness in the town of Mayhill
Hi Peter, you'll like Mayhill. We've had a family cabin in the Wimsatt/Twin Forks area (between Cloudcroft and Mayhill, CR99) since the early 70's. My Uncle lives out towards Sunspot. Great area; lots of good trails for riding dirt bikes.

A 1994 Discovery is listed as eligible to import on, so you might be OK.

Good luck with the move!

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat