Audio setup for 97 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 4th, 2007, 06:07 AM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Audio setup for 97

My 97 has an old Alpine head unit and some crappy speakers. I would like to upgrade to a satellite-ready head unit and some nice speakers. No need for CDs, iPod jack would be nice. I'm assuming I wouldn't need to add an amp. Any suggestions on head unit, speakers, speaker placements, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

I had ECR install the Alpine CDA-9856 MP3/WMA CD Receiver. It is ipod and satellite ready. Also installed 4 Alpine speakers the style # which I can't remember at the moment. The set up works great and sounds incredible even while driving with a surrey top. The head unit is easy to operate and some great features. The satellite antennae was attached to the header bar and the ipod is connected in the center console.

check out the ecr website as they have many photos of stereo installations..

www.eastcoastrover.com

Follow-up Post:

forgot to menntion that the sirius satellite receiver was installed under the passenger seat.

The cd player, radio, ipod and sirius radio all are operated through the Alpine head unit...very easy
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:11 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

The only thing to keep in mind about a sound system install in a 97 NAS D90 is to connect the grounds at the factory amp when you take it out of the system (located under the passenger seat). If you don't, the code readers and/or AutoLogic will never be able to read the ECU faults.
Long story, but the ECU is tied into that amp beacsue of the way the UK security system works, and the harness is based on that system. The explanation would take pages... just make sure those grounds are hooked togther.

You would not believe how many "I just changed the ECU for 1500. and it still won't reead codes" we get that are actually botched stereo installs.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2007, 11:27 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I saw this in a catelog recently.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_300.htm

When I mounted my new head unit I tried to put the antenna a few different places, but if I would have had this handy satellite radio antenna mount, it would have been much easier.

97 D90 SW
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:58 AM
jdb3760
Jake Buinewicz
95 Defender 90 softtop

Get Polk Momo speakers, they're water proof. I've had them rained on endless times and they still sound great. I believe they are marine grade and are put into sea rays. They are kind of pricey though.
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

Jake,
Do the 6 1/2" momo's fit w/o any modifications to the speaker boxes?
Old May 4th, 2007, 07:30 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

6.5 speakers will require some cutting. I made new rear boxes and cut the front door panels. A 109$ kenwood will do all you require. I got Bazooka marine 6.5s for a very reasonable price. They are water resistant. There is no such thing as a waterproof setup. I've got about $350 in the entire package and I doubt you could tell a difference from the higher priced alternatives in a defender. I think you will always get a little rattle up front out of a 6.5 cause the magnet is closer to the body and the door panels are cheesy. It will actually sound like a blown speaker at times. I'm probably going to make new black aluminum diamond plate door panels with good rubber seals. After all that, it still wont sound great unless you have a sub and an amp which would be an oxymoron in a defender.
Old May 4th, 2007, 08:35 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974
I'm probably going to make new black aluminum diamond plate door panels with good rubber seals.
If you want a pair of custom door panels, talk to LenB...here is some of his work http://www.americandirtroads.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974
After all that, it still wont sound great unless you have a sub and an amp which would be an oxymoron in a defender.
I haven't put them in yet, but I purchased a set of JL Audio Marine grade Speakers (6.5 for the front and 5 1/4 for the rears) and Marine grade Amps, that will probably go in the passenger seatbox.

Ade
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:38 AM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

So there aren't any good speakers that are the same size as the OEM? I'm going to have to do some cutting?
Old May 5th, 2007, 10:59 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBaxter
So there aren't any good speakers that are the same size as the OEM? I'm going to have to do some cutting?
Of course there are great speakers that are only 5 1/4. The thing is, when it's time to replace your engine, would you replace it with another 3.9 or go with a 4.6/better?

The larger your speakers the better... If you don't want to cut, then check out www.crutchfield.com for 5 1/4 speaker option. They're a bit pricey, so I wouldn't suggest buying anything from them, just see what's out there.

Some people believe a speaker is a speaker is a speaker...and being that you are in a 90, well...you aren't going to gain anything...I don't believe that.

If you aren't contrained by a budget, Alpine radios are definitley tops! As far as speakers, I like Polk Audio, Boston Acoustics and JL Audio. I went with JL Audio not only because its a great speaker, but becuase they had marine grade versions and the crossover for my fronts are built onto the the woofer basket. There isn't much room for all those extras on the 90 when looking at seperates. I also went with this speaker because it isn't dependent on an enclosure. The crappy door panels won't effect its sound as was mentioned by huck in an earlier post. http://marine.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?prod_id=371

If you just want better than what you probably have in your truck now, run up to Best Buy and pick up some Alpine speakers. Stay away from anything Sony, they took a serious nose dive in the car audio department years ago.

Something else you should consider, dynamat. Use some on your doors and specifically around the speaker area. Do a search, there's posts on that subject as well as speaker choices.

Ade
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:55 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Thanks guys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags