audi allroad questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 15th, 2008, 11:22 AM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

audi allroad questions

2.7L 6 cyl turbo vs 4.2l 8 cyl auto. Pros and cons? Any thoughts? looking at 2005 both with 58K, similar prices.
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2008, 11:40 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
The main thing for me when I had my allroad was the tranny. The 6 speed manual was only available w/ the 2.7T. I had a very similiar 4.2 in my S4 and that thing had some juice and sounded awesome once I replaced the DP's and exhausts. The 2.7T has plenty of power. And if you need more then you can go chip, exhaust, DP's and replace the turbo's w/ K04s - pretty much in that order.

If you are serious about the allroad, sign into the allroad board on audiworld.com. There were some very good guys on there when I had mine: http://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/pages/1.phtml
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:54 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrrvr
2.7L 6 cyl turbo vs 4.2l 8 cyl auto. Pros and cons? Any thoughts? looking at 2005 both with 58K, similar prices.
Never had the 6 cyl, but have had a 4.2 V8 in a S6 for the last 3 years and 60K miles, and the 4.2 has never had an issue.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Mighty
mighty
epsom 110 & stornoway 90

i also own an ALLROAD with the 2.7 and have had not one problem other than some suspension issues. Great car and until they make a suitable replacement (other than S6 wagon) it will remain. FWIW, the 6cyl is a great engine and plenty fast for my needs.
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:22 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

sweet car despite which version. Look into warranty. I replaced both CVs at 29K, tranny at 49K, and the air suspension went out on the ride over to trade it at 75K (dealer certified pre-owned when I got it with 25K). Everyone I know who has had one of these has usually done a tranny and definately the CVs. When asked about them I always tell people its a great car but one I'd never own out of warranty.
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:28 PM
MEUSOC
BRYAN
NAS 110, 95 ST

Wink

I have replaced two transmissions in my 2004 2.7t tip allroad (chipped) S6 wannabe... I want more power!

perhaps redmountain...... could get me a diplomatic RS6? I keed, I keed...
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:29 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

I take it the Allroad and the S6 have different trans??
or I might just be lucky with the 1 trans?

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 16th, 2008, 02:57 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrrvr
Start here... http://www.allroadfaq.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:46 PM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
i have had 3 allroads. loved them. replaced air suspension pump in one. cv's are pretty common in any audi product from my experience. great cars. never once had problems with trannys.
Old December 17th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Put 60k on our Allroad in three years.

Love it. Only replaced one CV. Chipped it and boy is it fun to drive!

I am in the same boat, there is nothing out there that I could replace it with. So I guess we drive it until it dies!

I also had an S4 with the same engine, very solid, the K03 turbos are known to have issues, but they held up on both our cars.
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Hey guys, didn't want to start a new thread, but it seems some of you know audi wagons, so here goes.

What do you guys think of the early a4 avant? specifically this one?

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/971001702.html

Old December 29th, 2008, 04:19 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Jeff-

That wagon sure looks cool. I like the B5 bodies a lot and had a '99 A4 1.8T for a few years. That one might be on the rare side being an avant and a 5 speed. It has had some aftermarket items that I might be wary about unless they can be documented as installed by a good mechanic. That supercharger will give some extra power but I couldn't find who it was made and installed by. From the one set of pics it looks a lot like a PES unit: http://www.pes-tuning.com/

I would search audiworld.com and audizine.com on the B5 A4 boards for some more feedback on that system. I did visit PES back in '99 when they were in NJ. They showed off the supercharger and from what I remember it sounded and looked impressive. I think the 1.8T had more $$$ potential from tuners so maybe that's why you didn't see many. I also remember the car w/ the SC sounded amazing from stop to WOT.

At under 100K and around $7k I'd give it a pretty good look at if you are looking for that type of car. My B5, while smaller than the allroad handled a ton better and overall a lot more fun to drive - and that was w/ the 1.8T and an APR programmed ECU (about 200 HP)
Old December 29th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

hey Don,

Thanks for the info! I am going to do some more research on those audi boards and maybe see it in person and drive it. The ad says there are records, and I will definitely look into the supercharger documentation more. I like the look of it- really clean ( I dont like the tinted out boy racer look), a wolf in sheep's clothing, and it seems to be a good price.

Thanks again!
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:19 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Please let us know what happens when you look at it - like you said - definite sleeper especially without the tinted windows and keeping the body totally stock. With some proper documentation, it could be a very good car - that supercharger alone when new is $5K. Not sure what suspension is on it, but that could easily be a $1K worth of product. Lowered and w/ 17" wheels it'll ride a little on the harder side but maybe it has some Bilstein adjustable coilover on there which will ride very well.
Old December 30th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Be a little careful with "Go" in boulder.

There are mixed reviews on that dealer.

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1998284.phtml

I did look at an Allroad there years ago, but I passed on the car they had.
Old December 30th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I went and checked it out. They didnt seem to know too much about the car, in particular the supercharger and the springs. One of the young service guys has been driving it home, and it was all dirty on the inside (not a great way to sell a car) The suspension looked too low for the 18s it was sporting. I need stock clearance for snow driving up here. That suspension would not be ideal in the mountains.

At least I have now caught the audi wagon bug and am going to keep my eyes out for a4 or s4 avants.
Old December 31st, 2008, 10:51 AM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

You might want to check out an allroad then, you can adjust the suspension on the fly. 2.7t in a manual, FUN FUN!
Old January 3rd, 2009, 03:23 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

If any of you Allroad guys need a Yakima rack with bike attachments I've got mine on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yakima-rack-Audi...3A1%7C294%3A50
Old January 4th, 2009, 10:22 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger
I went and checked it out. They didnt seem to know too much about the car, in particular the supercharger and the springs. One of the young service guys has been driving it home, and it was all dirty on the inside (not a great way to sell a car) The suspension looked too low for the 18s it was sporting. I need stock clearance for snow driving up here. That suspension would not be ideal in the mountains.

At least I have now caught the audi wagon bug and am going to keep my eyes out for a4 or s4 avants.
If you are in snow country that suspension setup definitely would not work. I remember driving in snow w/ my A4. It had plenty of traction just the clearance was bad with it lowered.

For the mtns a stock B5 S4 Avant might be a nice pick. Twin turbo V6 should keep the power level up in the higher elevation. Finding a nice stock one around still might be a little hard.
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

The good news is they seem to be fairly prevalent up here. A quick craigslist search of this state turns up quite a few avants. Even with quattro, in a big snow, the front end of that car would act as a plow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat