Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 24th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Audi Allroad

Looking to get an Audi Allroad and a DII.

Anyone have some tips on the Audi. Looking in the 03-07 year range.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Ask Eric Xtn 231. He's had both.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 24th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
What year D2? Jeff(Nomar on here) has a nice giverny green one for sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

I had a 2005. There is no such thing as an 06 or 07 allroad here in the States. They come in two flavors, 2.7T (twin turbo) or 4.2 V8. Hard to find but 6MTs were available. Tiptronics had issues with the torque converter but other than that were pretty good. Air suspension needs to be paid attention to. Ideally, you should be able to put it in its highest setting, park it over night, and still have it at the same height in the morning. The 4.2s and 2.7T got around the same mileage and put out plenty of power. The 2.7T is more common and will eat turbos eventually. Lots of things can go wrong on them. My 2005 was the last year, supposed to be the "best" year and only had 24k miles on it when I got it from an Audi dealer off a lease turn it. It had full service history (VERY important) and still was a gigantic pain in the ass. With that said though, I did love it. It was beyond comfortable, I did take it down some unmaintained roads in WVa and it did great, moved very rapidly but it drank premium and was always at the dealership getting repairs (I got it with an extended warranty so it was mostly covered).

Prepare your bank account if you go for the allroad.
Old October 24th, 2013, 10:15 AM
TRS
Tyler
94 D90 ST #304

Registry
Campbell,

I have an Audi Stasis Quattro A4 for sale
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=15108&endYear=2014&modelC ode1=A4&sortBy=bestmatchb&showcaseOwnerId=625988&s tartYear=1981&makeCode1=AUDI&searchRadius=25&showc aseListingId=350203124&mmt=[AUDI[A4[]][]]&listingId=357839373&Log=0

And I have an 04 Giverny Green Disco SE that I am thinking about getting rid of. Has the rack with Hellas and a factory winch mount that I haven't gotten around to putting on yet.
Old October 24th, 2013, 10:30 AM
JASEcrest
Jason
'88 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS View Post
And I have an 04 Giverny Green Disco SE that I am thinking about getting rid of. Has the rack with Hellas and a factory winch mount that I haven't gotten around to putting on yet.
Does the Disco have 3rd row and what is mileage?
Old October 24th, 2013, 10:45 AM
TRS
Tyler
94 D90 ST #304

Registry
141,000 and no 3rd row but it does have rear air in the cargo. Also has a warn 9000 winch for mount, terra grapplers that have about 1000 miles on them, wiring harness was replaced, and a header back magnaflow stainless exhaust. A couple other things were replaced that were just routine maintenance. I believe I'm the second owner, truck was originally from Colorado.
Old October 24th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS View Post
Stasis
How has that been? Some problems with Audi and Stasis exist.
Old October 24th, 2013, 11:26 AM
TRS
Tyler
94 D90 ST #304

Registry
No problems at all. I was a little worried about the computer being reprogrammed, but have had zero issues.
Old October 24th, 2013, 01:15 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

I really wanted an all road when my son was born but couldn't find any in my price range. Ended up getting a Passat 4-motion Wagon which is just really a Audi A6 Quattro in VW sheet metal. We took up for many trips on fire roads and misc sketchy gravel tracks in Northern California near Lassen National park. Lack of ground clearance made it fun going over some rougher tracks, but we took it places where my Wife's uncle who lives in the area said "you went there? in that?"

Needless to say, as mentioned before - on the all roads make sure the air suspension is in good shape, that previous owner has a big fat stack of reciepts for services done and oil changes.

-Valve cover gaskets on the 2.7t are prone to leak because of the PCV system getting cruddy. I just got done replacing the valve cover gaskets, cam tensioner seals and crankcase breather system on my wifes Passat (2.8 30V V6, very simialr to the 2.7T) She got sick of random people coming up to her because her car was smoking due to the valve cover gaskets leaking onto the exahust manifolds.

-Another problem are with the Audi/Passats of that vintage is the multi link front suspension bushings going out. You basically have to drop 300-500 bucks on a full kit to replace all the control arms, sway bar end links and tie rod ends since the bushings aren't easily replaceable. Its usually an every 80-100K miles job.

-Timing belt is a PITA to replace too, front end of the car has to be put into "service position" to do anything. If you don't have documentation of that job being done then do it ASAP as if the belt breaks you've got a very expensive paper weight. The 5v per cylinder motors are interference motors and you will bend lots of valves if the belt lets go. Replace the water pump, thermostat, idlers and tensioners while you are in there. 6 months after doing the timing belt on my Passat the thermostat failed closed, which necessitated pulling the front end of the motor apart just to get to it since it lives behind the timing belt in a metal housing.

-The Allroad/A6/Passat are quite a bit more roomy on the inside than the same vintage of A4. I had cross shopped A4 quattro wagons as they were more in my price range at the time but they were just too cramped inside compared to the A6/Allroad/Passat

That being said, even with the huge pain in the ass the car has been I still like to drive it. It even feels pretty peppy after driving the Rover for a while. Eats up miles on the highway like nobody's business.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 24th, 2013, 03:01 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
I have had a 2004 D2 and well it wasn't the best experience and would rather not relive it. The Allroad took some cash to straiten out the timing belt and a couple air springs but has been a good car over the last 7 months and 15K miles. My allroad is a 2001 bought it off d-90 even.
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 24th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Awesome information. I love this site.

Think I found a DII cheap enough to use as a second car. Looking now for an everyday ride. Sounds like the allroad might be a little too much maintenance $$wise. Already have that with the DII.

I wonder if a volvo would be a better choice. Or looking for a v8 audi or volvo. At least you eliminate the turbo.
Old October 24th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
Awesome information. I love this site.

Think I found a DII cheap enough to use as a second car. Looking now for an everyday ride. Sounds like the allroad might be a little too much maintenance $$wise. Already have that with the DII.

I wonder if a volvo would be a better choice. Or looking for a v8 audi or volvo. At least you eliminate the turbo.
Volvo makes a nice V8(well, its' a yamaha I believe), but don't put down their turbo'd 5 cylinder models. If you're looking at an allroad, I think you'd really enjoy a P2 V70R, 04-07. I love my S60R, the V70R is just a wagon version. The turbo 5cyl is crazy reliable, you'll never have to do anything besides a timing belt at 100k($400 parts/labor) to that engine.

Old October 24th, 2013, 09:21 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

The V70R is not an easy car to find.
Old October 24th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
The V70R is not an easy car to find.
They're sort of like the NAS defender, they're out there, but you have to pay to play. They also hold their value. 300hp 6speed wagon is tons of fun
Old October 24th, 2013, 10:04 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

The Volvo xc70 t6 is a great alternative to the allroad. You'll give up some "class" but make it up in cargo room and functionality. Plus with a factory polestar chip it's at 325hp with warranty. We love ours and glad we didn't go the Audi route after driving them as they were just to small.
Old October 25th, 2013, 06:58 AM
belgian
Maxim
1995 RRC SWB

I agree with the Volvo xc70. I have a Volvo v70 AWD in Belgium. I believe it's an 06. I am in Belgium twice a year for a couple of days. And it always starts. Never have any problems with it. And it already has a nice amount of miles on the engine from before I moved to the us.
Old October 25th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Have a xc70 03 with 2.5 turbo 5 cylinder. Wife loves it have 99k on it. Best US version is the 3.2 six which is the same drivetrain as the LR2. If I did my DD again I'd get the MDX over the Honda Pilot. Quieter better handling. No other complaints after 166k miles.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 25th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoverlandrover View Post
The Volvo xc70 t6 is a great alternative to the allroad. You'll give up some "class" but make it up in cargo room and functionality. Plus with a factory polestar chip it's at 325hp with warranty. We love ours and glad we didn't go the Audi route after driving them as they were just to small.
You must be thinking about an A4 because on the inside, the A6 based allroad is larger than the XC70 (I have had both). Rear seat room is limo like in the allroad (with heated rear seats) as well as the front seats. Rear leg room in the Volvo is just terrible. There is slightly more cargo room behind the seats compared to the allroad but that is due to less for actual people. The Volvo is nowhere near as nice inside as the allroad is and nowhere near as technical (which is not a bad thing as that is the Audi downfall). I went from the (2005) allroad to an (2007) XC70 to an (2009)Outback. Out of the three, the Outback was the best. It just worked and it worked all of the time and did it cheaply. It was not the nicest of the bunch but it was also not a bad place to be for long road trips.

If you are looking for a more luxurious place to be and do not want the hassles of a used Audi, more specifically a used allroad, then go the XC70 route. If you want your wife to have a safe car that is more reliable, cheaper to maintain, but still comfortable, get a Limited edition Outback. It is not as fancy inside but it all works and works well. I prefer Subarus AWD to Volvos FWD with the rears activated upon slip Haldex system. The new Haldex systems are a little more seamless in activation but I could actually hear the rear driveshaft activating when I would take it to WVa for mud and snow. The Audi Torsen system was nice as well but super complicated with numerous sensors. The Subaru system (at least with the manual trans I had) was quick and seamless.
Old October 25th, 2013, 08:37 PM
piekas
Pierre Jourda
1987 Defender 110

I've got a 110 and a 6-speed 2002 Allroad in my driveway. Don't want to repeat anything said here, but generally a higher mileage Allroad will require maintenance. I'm not an ultra mechanic, but nothing disastrous to worry about-it's all manageable yourself. Time consuming, but manageable. I've also owned an XC-70 and V70r. As they get older these particular Volvos just don't hold up. Trim rattles, pieces fall off. Both also suffer from differential failures. My Audi is 11 years old with 145k miles and it still feels rock solid with no rattles and noises. Volvo AWD system can't even come close to Audi's. The Allroad will out-snow most cars (and many SUVs) out there. Finally, if you get a 2.7t Allroad, chip it immediately. $500 will buy you 50hp and a similar gain in torque. The thing turns into a rocket. It's highly (and safely) tuneable way beyond that if that's your thing. Check out apr.com.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat