Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 9th, 2016, 06:31 PM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

Assigned VIN Defender replica

Thought this ebay ad was interesting:

Land Rover Defender 1993 Defender 110 Replica | eBay

Assigned VIN from Nebraska. Defender Replica?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2016, 06:34 PM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

Here's the ad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1258809861.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	141982  
Old February 9th, 2016, 07:03 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Considering the interior color mismatches... I'd say it's really just a respray... Probably would stay away from that one.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2016, 08:39 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Your saying it was a previous salvage non repairable truck?
Old February 9th, 2016, 08:52 PM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
Your saying it was a previous salvage non repairable truck?
Probably no way to know without calling them. At this price get one with a VIN from Land Rover with a clean title.
Old February 9th, 2016, 08:57 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
No. There might be nothing wrong with it. Only that an owner trying to sell for that price should be able to list a valid VIN and should be able to use words other than "replica" when describing a car that doesn't really look like it has even been refurbished.

1965 IIa SWB
Old February 9th, 2016, 09:30 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
an owner trying to sell for that price should be able to list a valid VIN and should be able to use words other than "replica" when describing a car that doesn't really look like it has even been refurbished.
Many states will issue a replica vin for a truck built from parts. My state does and I have everything to build a 110 so will be going the same route. How you consider that VIN is/will be invalid per your remark above, I don't grasp.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 9th, 2016, 09:51 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
But that's what I mean -- if this is built from parts into a "new" truck, it really should look like it. The interior is not to that standard at all.

I was reading the post as "this is a replica, thereforea rebuilt truck". It makes sense that a state would assign a new VIN to a "kit car" situation like this if there are really no "original" parts, but a puzzle of parts from all different sources.

But then, I read it again, and it looks like he is saying it is a replica 1993...? Or maybe a replica VIN? Is there a VIN on the frame? etc....

Like I said, there may not actually be anything wrong with the truck, it's just that with all the issues these have with getting licensed, insured, and fully legalized, I'd be looking into something much more simple, or much better put together.

1965 IIa SWB
Old February 9th, 2016, 10:35 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
As a customer of the Seller I assure you they are very much on the up n up, they have over 60 millions worth of cars in inventory, they do not sell anything needing " FULLY LEGALIZED "

As Doug stated, vehicles can be tiotled as Replica, Kit , etc in many states, this one proves to be from NE

I still remember those 4 110 seized from the cartels, later sold with state issued VIN numbers ( 1 in NY, 1 in FL and 2 in TX )
Old February 10th, 2016, 12:35 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Many states will issue a replica vin for a truck built from parts. My state does and I have everything to build a 110 so will be going the same route. How you consider that VIN is/will be invalid per your remark above, I don't grasp.

For the cost of a rust bucket ROW donor, this seems like false economy unless you never want to sell.
Old February 10th, 2016, 07:24 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
For the cost of a rust bucket ROW donor, this seems like false economy unless you never want to sell.
I don't know how you do it, but that pretty much sums it up for this scenario and much broader for many others.
My yard was at one time full of vehicles reeking of/from false economy.
We got'em cheap and were going to make money and there they sit, or we bought'em cheap to drive and they needed so many parts and so much work, well I am sure there must be a few people reading this who might understand, YOU THINK!

Why is it that every time a non-main-stream vehicle comes up with a non-main-stream VIN/title some members jump to the conclusion that it is illegal?

Meanwhile back across the pond, slightly related to the subject of this thread:
Built up Pumas with galv-frames based on a 25 year donor vehicle are 100% certified and 100% legal in UK.
It's USA agencies that have chosen to interpret and enforce USA import laws to keep them out based on pressure applied by Land Rover North America who have a dedicated staff working to keep their own older products out of USA.
When DVLA (the UK Federal DMV) certifies a vehicle as legal then bygolly it is legal.
And when the state of NE (notice how it ties back to this thread) certifies a VIN on a built up 110, then bygolly it is legal.
Insanity is always at work somewhere bringing down good minds with evil thoughts.
Now pass the Kool-Aid, muthalikka!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old February 10th, 2016, 01:12 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Just because a state issues a VIN does not mean it is federally legal or that it is legal in another state.

In fact, while it is grey I admit, a "new" kit car in my view is supposed to meet all current year EPA and safety federal regs.

A lot less grey to restore a rust bucket as a donor.
Old February 10th, 2016, 01:25 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Just because a state issues a VIN does not mean it is federally legal or that it is legal in another state.

In fact, while it is grey I admit, a "new" kit car in my view is supposed to meet all current year EPA and safety federal regs.

A lot less grey to restore a rust bucket as a donor.

Been federalized doesn't mean all states will register it either

Back in the 90's ( Grey Market Heaven ) I had a 355GTS, with EPA and DOT papers from the port of entry, bought at a very famous dealer, that I've sold to a fellow in the People's Republik of Calofornication, and he couldn't title/register it, even the car was with all the provenance, and the car was titled for 3 yrs in Nu Joyce before I sold it to him.
Old February 10th, 2016, 01:39 PM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Quote:
Each state has its own set of requirements and process for issuing the VIN, and each state has its own way of marking the car with the new VIN. From all that I have read, once a state issues a VIN it is portable to any other state.

By federally legal - I am assuming that you are referring to it being legally imported?

I think the real issue with buying a car with a state issued VIN is with its resale value. Just as not everyone wants 'salvage' title, Not everyone wants a state issued VIN.
Old February 10th, 2016, 02:32 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
Considering the interior color mismatches... I'd say it's really just a respray... Probably would stay away from that one.
Filthy dirty seats

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, vin