Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 7th, 2008, 05:49 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Arlington, VA shop question

Hey everyone - I'm new here, with a recently bought '97 SW, and need a mechanic in Arlington. I read previous postings about Roverland in Alexandria, but was wondering if anyone had experience with the shop at Quinn and Wilson?. You know, across from Rays the Steaks, with all the Rovers and classic Minis out front. And yes, I've driven past the shop about 1,000 times and can't recall the name.

They've had every imaginable LR out there, including 90's, 110's, 109's, all types of Series.. A buddy of mine even bought a 1964 Rover fire engine from them back in the mid 90's. Any idea? Thanks. -Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 7th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Steve, I've had mixed luck with them in the past but there's been an exodus of talent lately. Do you need anything specifically done or are you just looking to have a name in the rolodex? For minor work, there are a bunch of people around here that can help you do the work yourself; for major work, there are other options.

Welcome!

Tony
Old September 7th, 2008, 06:13 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks
Steve, I've had mixed luck with them in the past but there's been an exodus of talent lately. Do you need anything specifically done or are you just looking to have a name in the rolodex? For minor work, there are a bunch of people around here that can help you do the work yourself; for major work, there are other options.

Welcome!

Tony
Thanks, Tony.. I just need a couple recommended names for now, and this forum seems to have the most comprehensive opinions on the planet.

AND, I think I've seen your 110 a few times off 29, near Cherrydale hardware. Am I crazy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 7th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Can't speak to your sanity, but mine hasn't seen much of the US (much less arlington) than my driveway. Not sure who's it is you've seen over there, though.

There's also Roverland on Eisenhower in Alexandria (right at the Eisenhower connector), there's Trevor's dad's shop outside of Baltimore that does fantastic work, there's Airpark Rover up towards Gaithersburg and Leesburg Rover in . . . Leesburg (Charles has dealt with them).

Coming to Happy Hour on Friday?
Old September 7th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
From what I have seen, they are overpriced butchers with an astounding lack of knowledge of the marque for a shop that has LR's in the yard all the time.

rgrds,
Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOB
Hey everyone - I'm new here, with a recently bought '97 SW, and need a mechanic in Arlington. I read previous postings about Roverland in Alexandria, but was wondering if anyone had experience with the shop at Quinn and Wilson?. You know, across from Rays the Steaks, with all the Rovers and classic Minis out front. And yes, I've driven past the shop about 1,000 times and can't recall the name.

They've had every imaginable LR out there, including 90's, 110's, 109's, all types of Series.. A buddy of mine even bought a 1964 Rover fire engine from them back in the mid 90's. Any idea? Thanks. -Steve
Old September 8th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
I didn't see it named specifically in Dave or Tony's posts but you're talking about Arlington Motorcar (on Wilson at the intersection with Quinn). Once Alberto left (the exodus of talent that Tony is speaking of) things went downhill...

You should come out to the happy hour.
r-
Ray
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
From what I have seen, they are overpriced butchers with an astounding lack of knowledge of the marque for a shop that has LR's in the yard all the time.

rgrds,
Ren
Additionally, I remember the 64 ex-fire truck. It recently came up for sale on ebay. I remember when John had it painted candy apple red. I never drove it but it seemed like an ok truck. Back in the day they had alot of series trucks come through and they were always asking collector prices for poorly maintained vehicles. I knew a number of folks that had vehicles there for months on end for simple repair jobs. And others whose vehicles came back worse then they went in, or simply never got fixed. Maybe they did better with the later vehicles where there is a ready pool of factory trained techs to come and work. I would be very careful. They don't have any parts sources that you don't have yourself, and you are going to pay their markup. There are other indy's out there that have a much better reputation. My advice is to steer well clear of this establishment.
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G
Once Alberto left
r-
Ray
And Carlos!
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:24 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Wait there's a Rover shop in Leesburg?
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

http://www.loudounrover.com/

I know nothing about them -- I think they loaned Charles a diff plug, though.
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
http://www.loudounrover.com/

I know nothing about them -- I think they loaned Charles a diff plug, though.
They provide mobile service. Interesting. Tony, you should call them and have them come over to fix the 110's minor issue...
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

You mean the fact that it's British?
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:10 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I met the guy and he seemed like a good egg. Shop is small but suitably equipped, and he had vehicles he was working on spanning multiple decades (land rovers) so I think he can handle a defender just fine.

I'd give him a try.

charles
p.s., it's not in Leesburg but more like Chantilly (a few miles further east on Rt50).
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:23 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
Additionally, I remember the 64 ex-fire truck. It recently came up for sale on ebay. I remember when John had it painted candy apple red. I never drove it but it seemed like an ok truck. Back in the day they had alot of series trucks come through and they were always asking collector prices for poorly maintained vehicles. I knew a number of folks that had vehicles there for months on end for simple repair jobs. And others whose vehicles came back worse then they went in, or simply never got fixed. Maybe they did better with the later vehicles where there is a ready pool of factory trained techs to come and work. I would be very careful. They don't have any parts sources that you don't have yourself, and you are going to pay their markup. There are other indy's out there that have a much better reputation. My advice is to steer well clear of this establishment.
So, yeah, we know the same people. I'll have to tell John that it came back out of the ether; he had it way back when he lived behind Galaxy Hut (unsure if Galaxy Hut was there at that time). Your comments about Arlington Motorcars are right on with what I've seen.. Rigs sit there for literally weeks, months on end. I had a mechanic sit on my FJ62 for two months, despite me hassling him daily. Not a good sign.

I'll can't make the happy hour because I'm going to Farmville for two Fridays in a row, then to Wisconsin for a week. I'll show up after that.
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
I'm going to Farmville for two Fridays in a row
You poor bastard . . .

Tony (HSC '95)
Old September 8th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
You got it...

I lived on Barton St. next to the exxon station @ lee hwy. Another local LRO lived on Barton @ Key Blvd and Jim Mead and his wife were on Adams on the other side of Key. Including John there were 4 Series LR owners in a rather small radius. And Galaxy Hut was there. I guess it used to be Roratonga Rodeo until the husband/wife owners split up. She turned it into Galaxy Hut and he moved up the street to open Amdo Rodeo. which became Strangeways and then got absorbed into Iota. Amdo moved into the old car dealership across from Colonial Village and became Bardo. Then Dr. Dremo. Now closed...

Quote:
So, yeah, we know the same people. I'll have to tell John that it came back out of the ether; he had it way back when he lived behind Galaxy Hut (unsure if Galaxy Hut was there at that time). Your comments about Arlington Motorcars are right on with what I've seen.. Rigs sit there for literally weeks, months on end. I had a mechanic sit on my FJ62 for two months, despite me hassling him daily. Not a good sign.

I'll can't make the happy hour because I'm going to Farmville for two Fridays in a row, then to Wisconsin for a week. I'll show up after that.
Old September 8th, 2008, 06:31 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
You poor bastard . . .

Tony (HSC '95)
Ha.. Farmvegas actually isn't bad to visit now.. they have a new Hampton Inn, which puts all the other nasty hotels to shame. Charlies still has quality food and Macados still has cheap beer. Even though I always preferred Landsharks over Macados. And driving down 29/15 south around this time of year, you usually see a ton of LR vehicles visiting or leaving the Mid-Atlantic Rally.

-Steve (LWC '93)
Old September 8th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I drove through there last year for the first time in a decade and it did seem slightly cleaner that it was. And the Bismark at Macados will always be a favorite. I'd love to make it down for a Macon game some year. Maybe Doug C. can come with. . .
Old September 8th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
And watch HS get beat to death in death valley ? They still have the osage orange tree's ? Used to throw those things @ you guys. But that was in the early 80's- I'm sure the oldest rivalry in the South is much more civil 2.5 decades later.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 8th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I think KDU is hosting this year, aren't you?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat