Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 8th, 2008, 11:47 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Steve,
PLEASE, I cannot beg enough but if you love your Land Rover do not let the crew at Arlington lay their scapels on it....
I am a former employee who is factory certified. take it from first hand experience they do not know what they are doing on any brand none the less on rovers.
the shop has the diagnosis equipment from autologic but the Igors that pass themselves as mechanics do not know how to interpret results so they tend to go on part replacement expeditions at the owners expense just in case they may solve the issue presented....
case in point...
a 2004 range rover with almost 200,000 miles the suspension took a long time to level it self.
a simple test will lead you to a test of the compressor and exhaust valve combination.. a repair that will cost about 1500.00 bucks parts and labor.
due to improper reading or interpretation by the butcher they replaced ALL stuts and rear bags. each one is 1300.00 bucks.
the system out of air set a wide array of codes due to slow compressor reaction.
due to all those codes they decide it needs a suspension ecu.. they had the commom sense of disconecting the battery before replacing the ecu.... these new trucks take refference of the steering angle for the active cornering.
well upon reconecting the battry they need to re calibrate th enew ecu but it will not calibrate because it is requesting steering angle calibration.... an easy task simply turn the wheel lock to lock
well again they mis interpret this as the need for a steering column 3500.00 bucks.
apparently by this time they are being sued so they sent the truck to my place of emplyment (dealer)
to my care...
I looked over the truck and it repairs it took me about one hour to check all the paching they had done, clear codes and test the compressor to verify a faulty compressor....
they took the diagnosis, and installed the compresor luckily part of my diagnosis was to calibrate the suspension so they had no idea I had saved their asses.
when all of this was said and done they had nearly $12,000.00 (yes twelve thousand dollars) billed to the customer after almost 3 months on their lot including parts an labor and the visit to the dealer for continous diagnosis...
last I heard they we in court with the customer.
case #2
a 2004 discovery with a continuos "Lean code" with check engine light... if you do a proper test you may find a vacuum leak is the cause.... the truck had about 45,000 miles..
they kept on replacing an oxigen sensor, the third time the truck came back for the same problem
the supplier refused to accept the recently installed sensor as defective so they attempted to sell the customer a new engine ecu...
the customer wisely refused and came to the dealer, shop dispatch refferd the truck to me. I had the service advisor contact the customer in order to find a little more info than "check engine light on independent shop repaced 02 sensor may need ecu".
when i got to the bottom of it I learned the slaughter house had been behind it all along, they had crossthreaded one of the 02 sensors, but the truck was under federal emmisions warranty. due to purchase date when new the truck was out of factory warranty but not by mileage.
land rover did a "good will" repair and installed a new "y" pipe with cats due to the crossthread four new 02 sensors (part of the package) and the vacuum line that leaked and started the whole ordeal.

sorry for the long post but I had to explain the reason for not reccomending them and not posting or seeming a disgruntal former employee.
I am not disgruntal at all, I visit the slaugther house now and then.....
best of luck
carlos.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2008, 08:01 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosz@cox.net
when all of this was said and done they had nearly $12,000.00 (yes twelve thousand dollars) billed to the customer after almost 3 months on their lot including parts an labor and the visit to the dealer for continous diagnosis...
last I heard they we in court with the customer.
Sweet jesus. I'll go to Roverland. Or I'll fix it myself. Thanks for the shop dirt, Carlos.
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:22 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
sorry I could not answer yesterday,....
I am not saying "I am the best rover tech" by any means, I have made mistakes as well it is just that when I have made a mistake I have had the opportunity to correct it with the assistance of knowledgeable colleages and the backing of the factory, so when made I corrected with out bilking the custumer.
no I am not defending them ( arlington ).
and the reason I ended working on their mistakes is because they asked for me, reffered the customer to me or my shop knew where the car came from and they rather I dealth with it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat