Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 28th, 2017, 11:31 AM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Arles Blue paint variations?

In looking into paint code for Arles blue it looks like there were some other names for the same color. Windjammer is one of the other names. The code is the same so I'd imagine the color would obviously be the same. My question more is focused around the color variations that I see so frequently as "Arles blue". It seems when the paint is mixed to code that the actual paint appears darker than when looking at actual Arles blue trucks. Looking at the paint and then looking at pics of a stock NAS Arles blue truck....the colors seem considerably different.
Curious if the paint lightens up once applied and settles or if there really are some variances in this color. Of course the type of paint and who mixes adds to the discrepancy but for sake of this thread let's assume the paint and person mixing did it correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2017, 11:37 AM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBSurfer View Post
In looking into paint code for Arles blue it looks like there were some other names for the same color. Windjammer is one of the other names. The code is the same so I'd imagine the color would obviously be the same. My question more is focused around the color variations that I see so frequently as "Arles blue". It seems when the paint is mixed to code that the actual paint appears darker than when looking at actual Arles blue trucks. Looking at the paint and then looking at pics of a stock NAS Arles blue truck....the colors seem considerably different.
Curious if the paint lightens up once applied and settles or if there really are some variances in this color. Of course the type of paint and who mixes adds to the discrepancy but for sake of this thread let's assume the paint and person mixing did it correctly.
Not sure on codes, but my 90 can look 4 different shades of blue sometimes depending on the lighting. Arles fades too, so some trucks are more faded out than others which appear lighter.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old April 28th, 2017, 12:51 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

Fwiw, I painted my garage a dark teal color last week & noticed yesterday that it looked like Arles Blue in direct sunlight...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2017, 01:06 PM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
Not sure on codes, but my 90 can look 4 different shades of blue sometimes depending on the lighting. Arles fades too, so some trucks are more faded out than others which appear lighter.
That's pretty much my observation as well that the sunlight plays a big roll in the color of Arles blue. Seem like if pics are taken in various different lighting you would end up with significantly different looking blues. And of course the fading factor from the sun.
Old April 28th, 2017, 01:26 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Just throwing this out. If anyone finds a Arles blue or very similar vinyl wrap please let me know.
Old April 28th, 2017, 01:56 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Youi can pretty much totally forget about trying to match an actual paint sample to a picture on the internet. At all. Ever, period, not gonna happen. All monitors and cameras are not created equal and nobody is taking the time to calibrate their camera and photos just to take pics for Defendersource. Even if they did, your monitors calibration would have to be done the same way in order to get even close. The end result is that you have to match the actual paint draw to an actual truck, or a part of the truck that has been protected from sunlight, such as inside the toolbox, behind the dash, or under the rear floormats.

Lighting makes a huge difference as well. Outdoor sunlight will be your best bet for rendering of color- all the color wavelengths are in the light source. The LED or Fluorescent lights inside your paint store are terrible for color matching, there are colors that just aren't in there, and so they don't render. The colors can look identical when you are under such an artificial source, but look totally different outside.

Indoor halogen/incandescent lighting is pretty good since it is a complete spectrum, but colors are best matched under the lighting where they will be viwed most often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBSurfer View Post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled

Lower Navigation