Arles blue defender (feeler) - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 31st, 2014, 10:35 AM
toona
Toona
1994 D90

Registry
This isn't hard. There is a bid/ask spread for every market. The more illiquid, the wider the spread. If seller wants instant liquidity, it will trade closer to the bidside -- and vice versa.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of what the right market is and that doesnt matter if you are a dealer, flipper or genuine end-user. Naturally, dealers are never going to pay full offerside but some end users will.

The potential seller asked for opinions. In my opinion, I think 35K bid/40K offer is correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2014, 11:15 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Moved to Misc Chit Chat since this is a feeler thread.
Old December 31st, 2014, 11:25 AM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

Would you like to trade for a '94 ST?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2014, 11:59 AM
Wills27
Chris
97 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover26c View Post
Would you like to trade for a '94 ST?
I'd love a st, but probably less practical for baby on the way.
Old December 31st, 2014, 12:15 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

The only real mistake I see is that you put your initial thought on value in with your question so of course everyone wanted to jump in to buy or tell you it's worth more.

Personally I would take some pics, throw it on Craigslist, eBay, and autotrader for say 45k. Then the buyer can also feel like he got a deal if you let it go for 40. Prices can be all over the place but honestly unless it is a rush sale I think you will get what you want. Inventory isn't great at lower prices now for decent trucks.

Every time I've been involved in a truck sale people have told me I was out of my mind for my asking price and every time I got it.
Old December 31st, 2014, 01:41 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I just talked to Wills27 and he is going to swing by my house tomorrow since he is local (he bought my rear bench a while back) and I will provide an assessment for anyone interested (no charge or obligation and just my opinion of condition for whatever it is worth) and we are going to get a full set of pics.

Disclaimer: I am not interested in buying this and only know him because he bought my bench and obviously I could miss stuff so don't sue me if you buy it and are unhappy.
Old January 1st, 2015, 12:06 PM
evilfij
evilfij

So I just spent an hour with Wills27 and his defender. Overall it is a nice truck. Wills27 wants to be completely up front about it so anyone who buys it is not surprised. I got some pics (I suck at pics) and he is going to put some pics in an official for sale thread too. He bought it from red mountain four or so years ago and is having another child so time to maybe part ways. He is a really nice guy. As I said I only met him twice now and I have no connection to him or the truck. I will start with the bad: Front fenders: The front fenders and front grill panel have been repainted (probably replaced) and it has non-factory lights on the sides of both front fenders so it appears to have had an incident at some point. The front frame shows no evidence of damage or anything like that. The paint is good, but is ever so slightly darker than the rest of the truck. If you buffed the truck they will likely match. I am not sure on the bonnet as it seems to match the rest of the truck but as I recall it does not have a vacuum line sticker under it but maybe 97s don't have that. It would not bother me and appears to have been done to a reasonably good standard. Rust issues: Overall the truck is not rusty, especially by D90 standards. For a northeast truck it is very good. The one actual issue is the rear crossmember. It is still reasonably solid but there is flaking on the insides and someone welded a 1/8th inch plate across the back. If it were me I would have no issues driving it as is for another five years, but to be perfect, it should be replaced in the future. The door bottoms are very good with only a couple minor rust spots on the rear door (no holes) and a few bubbles on the front. The bulkhead looks good with a little surface rust and a little deterioration near the outermost screw fitting on the drivers side in the footwells. It does not appear to be a hole yet. 8/10 on the bulkhead. The frame has been painted on parts at some point but appears very solid. The one tube outrigger has minor surface rust. The brushbar on the front has some bubbling on it and evidence of a repaint. The axles do not appear rusty. Unusual repair: The other issue I noticed is that someone welded a repair on the rear frame rail near the curve on the one side at the bottom. It was plated on the bottom and both sides a little ways up the rail. I honestly don't think it was rust related, but I could be wrong. Maybe the rear driveshaft broke a ujoint and dented it. Will27 will post a picture. It appears solid, but full disclosure and all. Door dings: It as a few very small door dings. Odometer: Flickers like all the 97s seem to. The 9 looks like an S. Appears original. Door panel: One door panel has a small bit of damage. The good: The truck is not leaking (minor seeps at worst) and everything seems to be in good order. I see no immediate issues that needs to be addressed (makes sense since it was just at Trevor's shop). Seems to run nice. Steering ball joints and suspension all seem to be in good shape. Swivel balls looks great. The body and paint look good other than noted above. Interior looks good. It has the original jump seats on one side and an exmoor style forward facing folder on the other. I understand he has the other two jump seats and my old bench seat. The carpeted floor mats have been replaced by genuine rubber mats, but the rest of the carpet looks good. Has good shape with lots of tread stock bfg ATs. Appears to be stock suspension. Overall it is a very nice, but not perfect 97 SW.
Old January 1st, 2015, 12:19 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Here is the repair I referenced above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2651987162.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	109918  
Old January 1st, 2015, 12:20 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Yeah... That ain't a 40k truck..!!!!
Old January 1st, 2015, 12:20 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Here is a pic of the inside of the crossmember.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2157783678.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	491.7 KB
ID:	109919  
Old January 1st, 2015, 12:21 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Actually I think it is close to that. It is not perfect, but it is better than most. I was just very thorough.
Old January 1st, 2015, 12:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Floor board looks pretty good to me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-361696611.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	109920  
Old January 1st, 2015, 12:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Here is another.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3449821976.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	493.0 KB
ID:	109921  
Old January 1st, 2015, 12:23 PM
evilfij
evilfij

And another.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3459679632.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	109922  
Old January 1st, 2015, 12:24 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Rear crossmember
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1935169618.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	591.6 KB
ID:	109923  
Old January 1st, 2015, 12:25 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Referenced minor door dings. Nice looking truck and paint. It has the nice newer hinges.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3016869010.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	561.3 KB
ID:	109924  
Old January 1st, 2015, 12:27 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Rust is like an iceberg... You only see the very tip of it..those frame repairs limit it's resale value to someone who was supposedly only going to buy it and flip it for 50k...I would rather oil leaks and mechanical issues than rust and accident damage.. At 40k with these "issues" you can very easily be at close to 50k and still have things that can't be hidden.. And has anyone done a carfax on it..??
Old January 1st, 2015, 12:28 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Door bottoms. This is the worst of them. Like I said above, they are good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3201537903.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	109926  
Old January 1st, 2015, 12:33 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Rust is like an iceberg... You only see the very tip of it..those frame repairs limit it's resale value to someone who was supposedly only going to buy it and flip it for 50k...I would rather oil leaks and mechanical issues than rust and accident damage.. At 40k with these "issues" you can very easily be at close to 50k and still have things that can't be hidden.. And has anyone done a carfax on it..??
Someone said clean carfax. It is not rusty by any stretch and the repairs were done to a good standard. If you put the correct lights on the front and buffed the rest of the truck you would not notice the repair. Anyway, take a look at the pics and the ones Wills27 will put up later. Wills27 asked me to put up an honest assessment and I did. Better to buy something like that than an unknown eBay special. I told him if he wanted to maximize value he should polish it and post only good pics and sell on eBay but he was not interested in doing that and wanted to be upfront to avoid any issues. The market will pay what it will pay. I would have no issues buying, but I did just buy a huge house and don't need another defender.
Old January 1st, 2015, 12:44 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
You should so buy it and flip it for $70k and brag about it on the forum!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat