Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 30th, 2014, 10:54 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
It's a desirable color in a desirable year under 100k miles. Based on all of the dealers reaching out I'd tend to agree there's quite a bit of meat left on the bone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2014, 10:55 PM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

I'd watch where this one ends up for comp purposes:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/221642356122?nav=SEARCH

I think $50 is probably a stretch but I'd be surprised if you didn't get at least $40 with little effort. Highly desirable year and color, but then again I'm a little biased . . .
Old December 30th, 2014, 11:28 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
Something fishy here....

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2014, 11:33 PM
Wills27
Chris
97 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincdoyle View Post
Something fishy here....
Any questions I can help with?
Old December 30th, 2014, 11:36 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincdoyle View Post
Something fishy here....
nothing! Chris is a stand up guy and just wants to make sure he know true market value before selling the truck.
Old December 31st, 2014, 02:03 AM
RANGEROVERSURFER
Tony
95/Range Rover Classic

Registry
Alaskan / American Feedback on D-90 SW Wagon price

Quote....

Really? If he wants to sit on it for 4-6 months he might get that. It is priced right to sell in my opinion! We just sold a 97 LE with 80k for 39k and that took 8 weeks to sell and another truck twice as long to sell for 28k. When the owner is greedy to start he looses interest, when it's prices right he will get legit interest. I'm sure there are a few dealers that could flip at that price, but most to the trucks that are actually selling are in the high 20's-mid thirties depending on overall condition. At least this is my experience, but what do I know.

so according to Brian $33K is priced to sell Yes of course that is a great price for someone looking to do a mild refurb and flip it....and anyone who has ever had a D-90 and sold it ( I did and yes regret selling it for $24K back in 2000) The Guy asked for Feedback......

so Point Blank who really cares how many Defender's You have sold or whatever...does that really matter...their is BRO Pricing and their is General Public Pricing....BRO Pricing = whatever He wants to sell it to a BRO for.........$33 K or whatever......General Public Pricing Regional Market etc....etc...$39-Mid $40's....I have seen people sell their D-90's on here for a range of prices.....and have the prices gone up over the past several years....YES...why...America = Supply vs Demand.....most people that buy D-90's pay cash....too told to finance..or take out some sort of loan....so Dealer vs non Dealer does not really matter....at the end of the day it's a Car.......I wanted to provide the Guy Legit Feedback on my personal experience...and observations....but Hey I live in Alaska where the Right to bear Arms, Freedom of Speech are still alive and kicking.....God Bless America

Feedback Strongly Encouraged......Please Please........Hahahahaahh
1990 RRC SWB Mettalic Blue
Old December 31st, 2014, 02:52 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I'd start at 40k, maybe higher depending on condition. 33k and I almost guarantee it will go to one of the dealer/hoarders for a flip before others could snag. Nothing wrong with that per se, as it is how they make their living, but I'd be very hesitant to take the advice that 33k is fair, assuming condition is good. If it needs a new chassis, then 33k is in ball park.
Old December 31st, 2014, 08:16 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

It's funny how all you guys here are financial advisors...you bitch when a cars priced too high, you criticize when a cars priced too low (in your opinion) when you have no bloody idea what the truck may need or the fact that it's gonna take possibly thousands to ship it to wherever the buyer lives and then what it takes to bring it up to the buyers desires, without additional info or pics you say that it's worth "x"... I'm guessing all you so called expert defender pricers have seen the car in person and know that it's in good shape.. And all you people suggesting it's priced too low aren't buyers are you... You're just armchair experts. I've got some good deals off members here who have come to me direct with stuff for sale because they don't want to deal with just this sort of wanker mentality on this board. 97k is gonna be at that magical number of 100,000 miles before you know it and then it's a mindset thing for a purchaser... opposite of why shops price there stuff at 99 cents instead of a dollar.. Like someone said before, if he wants a quick hassle free sale, il buy it, if he wants to take his chances to get a bit more and take longer, go for it... He said he wanted 33 and I'd give it to him...would I resell it.. Most definitely, but that might be $10 or $10000 of repairs down the road and 3 years time...I would say 95% of us sell our vehicles at some point in time???do I make a living from it... No, but I get to make a couple of bucks and put a customer into a vehicle I get to service hopefully...or is that wrong also..???
Old December 31st, 2014, 08:38 AM
Himalaya
Mark WS
1995 Nas, 86 D110, 97 Hummer H1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ11 View Post
As long as this is in great shape it's definitely a $50k rig in today's market.
Mileage is too high for 50K. I just purchase a 1997 with 15K miles on it. Perfect condition and paid 55K. Realistic sales show them selling in low to mid 30s with that mileage in great condition.
Of course if the right person comes along you may get more if you market it right. GLWS
Old December 31st, 2014, 08:56 AM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills27 View Post
Any questions I can help with?
Nope, just wishfully thinking prices were higher...

I apologize if I upset or offended you...

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Old December 31st, 2014, 09:17 AM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
OP wanted feedback, it was given. No one was claiming to be an expert, I thought this was what a community forum was for, voices and opinions. Some of you need to relax on trying to always make out someone is WRONG all the GD time. Disconnect the computer for one day and get some fresh air.
Old December 31st, 2014, 09:34 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

I don't think anyone cares how many Defenders I have help sell, I couldn't agree more! I was just stating my opinion on prices... The way I see it, Chris priced it at 33 and got multiple offers, so it was priced to sell... No one said anything about the one that sold for 16k a few weeks ago, it sold in what an hour? Say he raises it to 40k, does that price-out most of the dealers? Idk, but it does price-out my customer and many other like him. (He happens to have five defenders and knows the market as well) and there is meat on the bone absolutely! At the end of the day Chris needs to make a decision on what it's worth to him and what time frame he would like to sell it in. Does he want to sell it in a week or six months? Could he get $45 possibly, there is an ass for every seat, but how long is he willing to sit on it to get that price? I have worked with Chris in the past and I want him to get as much out of the truck that he can, as long as he knows the time frames he is looking at. There is nothing worse in my eyes then some one trying to sell for 50k and then sells for say 28k after five months, and that happens all the time with private party sales. I wish Chris all the best, and the 95 is looking great by the way!
Old December 31st, 2014, 09:35 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
It's funny how all you guys here are financial advisors...you bitch when a cars priced too high, you criticize when a cars priced too low (in your opinion) when you have no bloody idea what the truck may need or the fact that it's gonna take possibly thousands to ship it to wherever the buyer lives and then what it takes to bring it up to the buyers desires, without additional info or pics you say that it's worth "x"... I'm guessing all you so called expert defender pricers have seen the car in person and know that it's in good shape.. And all you people suggesting it's priced too low aren't buyers are you... You're just armchair experts. I've got some good deals off members here who have come to me direct with stuff for sale because they don't want to deal with just this sort of wanker mentality on this board. 97k is gonna be at that magical number of 100,000 miles before you know it and then it's a mindset thing for a purchaser... opposite of why shops price there stuff at 99 cents instead of a dollar.. Like someone said before, if he wants a quick hassle free sale, il buy it, if he wants to take his chances to get a bit more and take longer, go for it... He said he wanted 33 and I'd give it to him...would I resell it.. Most definitely, but that might be $10 or $10000 of repairs down the road and 3 years time...I would say 95% of us sell our vehicles at some point in time???do I make a living from it... No, but I get to make a couple of bucks and put a customer into a vehicle I get to service hopefully...or is that wrong also..???
Thank you for saying it!
Old December 31st, 2014, 09:48 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
Mileage is too high for 50K. I just purchase a 1997 with 15K miles on it. Perfect condition and paid 55K. Realistic sales show them selling in low to mid 30s with that mileage in great condition. Of course if the right person comes along you may get more if you market it right. GLWS
Where was it advertised?

As others have said, and it is their opinion, that if the vehicle is not salvaged, is in good to great shape, etc. $33k may be leaving a bit on the table for a 1997 in a desirable color such as arles blue. Could he get $40k here in one day with minimal photos or info? Maybe...probably not. Could he get $40k if he spent a little money and advertised it in a few more places with a good description and useful photos? Likely. Can it be a hassle dealing with all of those random people? Certainly.

Considering how many vehicles we see our members sell here for "below market rate" only to see them up on eBay a week later for $20k more I don't think it's an outrageous for members to warn them that they may be underpricing a little. I also find it hard to believe that the seller is going to get unbiased opinions on his price only from those who are interested in buying the vehicle.
Old December 31st, 2014, 10:04 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Retail pricing and what dealers are willing to pay for it are considerably different.

I wouldn't consider any price proposed by a dealer / trader as anything other than an attempt to lowball. They need to make their profit and are aiming to maximize that at a level they already believe they can move the truck along. That's their business and it's what they do. As long as everyone understands their pricing model then they shouldn't be surprised if they sell and find their truck for sale for $20k more once they slap on armorol.

I always thought that we should have an auction thread where someone can post a truck and people can push their offers up maximizing the value for the seller ... Who generally are community members ... Rather than offering for sale and falling pray to the trader masking themselves as community members.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 31st, 2014, 10:05 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
I'm no expert, but if I was in the market, I'd give you $40k for it.

That said, I'd prefer to give you $33k...
Old December 31st, 2014, 10:09 AM
Wills27
Chris
97 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
I'm no expert, but if I was in the market, I'd give you $40k for it. That said, I'd prefer to give you $33k...
Thanks Paul, I'm thinking $40k will be the number.
Old December 31st, 2014, 10:11 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Where was it advertised?

As others have said, and it is their opinion, that if the vehicle is not salvaged, is in good to great shape, etc. $33k may be leaving a bit on the table for a 1997 in a desirable color such as arles blue. Could he get $40k here in one day with minimal photos or info? Maybe...probably not. Could he get $40k if he spent a little money and advertised it in a few more places with a good description and useful photos? Likely. Can it be a hassle dealing with all of those random people? Certainly.

Considering how many vehicles we see our members sell here for "below market rate" only to see them up on eBay a week later for $20k more I don't think it's an outrageous for members to warn them that they may be underpricing a little. I also find it hard to believe that the seller is going to get unbiased opinions on his price only from those who are interested in buying the vehicle.
listing/buy it now prices on ebay are not an indication of market value and they seldom sell, they do generate interest and communication.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 31st, 2014, 10:34 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

My quick cash deal iat your asking price s off the table.. Good luck with the tyre kickers and armchair mouths full of their..I'm not a buyer but if I was.....
Old December 31st, 2014, 10:34 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
listing/buy it now prices on ebay are not an indication of market value and they seldom sell, they do generate interest and communication.
eBay should always be taken with a grain of salt as many sellers just use it for free exposure, and many bidders use it as a playground with little recourse. That said, it's all market data, and generally it can be used in conjunction with other sources to see the flows and fluctuations in the defender market.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat