Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 29th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Arkonik
Andrew Hayes
110 CS" V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
A couple of questions:

I saw the sealant and was wondering why you would just glob it on like that. Is it over the tape? Even if Land Rover does it that way, doesnt mean it is done correctly by them either. Looks super sloppy.

Why are you sealing fenders? What advantage does this have? You will never have panel gap of a modern car so what are you trying to accomplish other than making it a pain to take apart later?

Your last pics show a truck ready for paint. If you are taking a truck fully apart why on earth are you half re-asssembling to paint? How are you going to get proper coverage on anything?
Hi Barry, i'm sure that you know this mate, Defender roof to windscreen frame and bulkhead to windscreen frame are (as a consequence of their kit form) incomplete, and sharp edged, seals, to the point that new CKD Defenders were supplied in territory with a roll of sealing "duct" tape and mastic putty. As you probably also know even NASA couldn't improve on duct tape....see Apollo 13 for details joints are sealed and then taped over - excess sealant is removed - see further pictures above for reference of completed item...and then of course the rubber OEM door seal is fitted. Reason for sealing fenders described further up in this thread, the gaps are a haven for dirt, debris etc... don't really understand your final question, but my best answer (unless you can be more specific) is that the undersides/insides of tubs, wings (inner and outer) and bulkhead etc are all treated in multiple layers of surface finish prior to loose and final fit. Further sequencing is shown above of how the bulkhead is painted seperately before wing fitment....this is the only area that would otherwise NOT get appropriate protection so thats why we do it that way....hope this helps Sir and thank-you for your kind interest.. Andy

------ Follow up post added October 29th, 2015 09:59 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl626 View Post
How does the filler hold up when the vehicles are taken off-road/green laning?
Mate, to be honest, i'm not sure that any of our "out and out" Custom vehicles are heavily used off road, but if they were, I reckon that they would hold up just as well as any brand new and modern car which integrates modern flexible sealants in its manufacture. Perhaps we could put it to the test my friend....be lovely to find time to go off-roading myself - do you get out much in your truck, what are the lanes etc like around your parts? We have some excellent routes around here - real narrow and quite technical (and thats just the roads!!) cheers for your interest, all the best , Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2015, 11:09 AM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
Had to drive a rhd 17 passenger minibus w/ a std through Windsor years ago, so I'm familiar w/ the narrow roads. I'd be interested in seeing how one of your trucks hold up to some green laning.. Perhaps you could let Jonesy/Will take one out for a test drive in the dirt/ mud?

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway
Old October 29th, 2015, 11:44 AM
wanabewheelin
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD

Registry
Anyone refurbishing Land Rover's for a living is in it for the money, no secret there Jeff . . .

are you on a witch hunt here ???? What seems to be your particular beef with this guy . . .

There are a ton of different things I wouldn't necessarily opt for on my truck (orange suede or what ever you want to call it) being amongst them, but that is the great thing about LR's, we can customize the crap out of them (pocket book permitting) and if someone doesn't like it who cares.

I've got the wrong stickers on the side of my truck because my wife and I liked the ones from the older 110's, and they have a black line in the as well. I'm not worried about resale value, I aint sellin. She may not be the sexiest 89 rollin down the road, but she's all mine

Go bust someone else's balls for a while
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2015, 12:03 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I dont get a dime off of the community. Hell, I dont even get free 1/2 shirts. But its clear by your multiple mentions of 'families to feed' that you are in it for the the money. Just so both of our motivations are clear.

-Jeff
My 9yr old daughter and her dance team may have some extra shirts laying around from the Madonna dance skit. I'll see what I can find for you.
Old October 29th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabewheelin View Post
are you on a witch hunt here ???? What seems to be your particular beef with this guy . . .
High price with mediocre quality. Exaggerated claims like "4000 hours labour". Overall arrogant attitude. Threats. That sort of thing...

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old October 29th, 2015, 12:23 PM
Arkonik
Andrew Hayes
110 CS" V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl626 View Post
Had to drive a rhd 17 passenger minibus w/ a std through Windsor years ago, so I'm familiar w/ the narrow roads. I'd be interested in seeing how one of your trucks hold up to some green laning.. Perhaps you could let Jonesy/Will take one out for a test drive in the dirt/ mud?
Great Idea and Definitely mate we will - cheers for now, Andy
Old October 29th, 2015, 12:31 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Need more popcorn.
Old October 29th, 2015, 12:38 PM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
Beer & Currie fries...

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway
Old October 29th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Briggs enjoys this - for some reason?

Anyway - you will find Alcantra used in some of the most expensive vehicles on the road (no I am not talking about the Uber ones) - Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Range Rover all use it. SO why shouldnt Arkonik

IF THAT IS WHAT THE BLOODY CUSTOMER WANTS!!!!!!!!! Jeez.
Old October 29th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Arkonik
Andrew Hayes
110 CS" V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
High price with mediocre quality. Exaggerated claims like "4000 hours labour". Overall arrogant attitude. Threats. That sort of thing...
John I completely disagree with you, but I thank-you for your contrary position Sir, I understand how utter conviction and self belief can be confused as arrogance, I also understand how demands, by Arkonik, that Defender Source remove; False / Hateful / Spiteful / Derogatory and Racist comments regarding my staff, and I, could be confused as threat to those who are easily confused or easily threatened, this is not you John - I am certain, in my heart that you are a kind and gentle man, however, I understand your anxieties and position. Warm wishes for a peaceful day John. Andy
Old October 29th, 2015, 12:59 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I do agree the Alcantra comment was a bit much but Jeff does bring up valid points:

1. Why do you need to use a skim layer on brand new panels? On the one hand this guy is talking about globing on sealant and when questioned says Land Rover does it that way but when questioned about bondo says Land Rover doesn't do it right. Answers are always pushed in the direction to suit him.
2. I still don't understand these rebuilds and why people would ever buy them. When Savage Defender was selling them at least you had someone in the USA to go back to and yell at. With no USA network you would have to be nuts to buy one of the high end trucks. You have zero recourse. Granted if Foley was making the truck I would have no issue with this.
3. With so many good restoration shops in USA why bother with this at all.

Andy,

I'm not slamming your business. You have a reputation and that is on you. I hope you figure it out but again you are an ocean away trying to sell people high dollar vehicles. You might want to think about partnering with someone over here before anyone takes you seriously on this board.

Until then these glamour shots that always show the worst crap and are doing nothing to help your cause or your reputation.
Old October 29th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Okay then. How many hours labour goes into a vehicle? Then explain that overall labour cost. 4000 hours labour is more that the sale price of one of your trucks.

When people obviously exaggerate, they lose credibility. When it is obvious that one statement is false, then how are you to trust in other statements?

You seem to come across as if the people that comment on here are stupid and inexperienced. You need to realize that most people on here are highly educated and very successful.

Old October 29th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Arkonik
Andrew Hayes
110 CS" V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Okay then. How many hours labour goes into a vehicle? Then explain that overall labour cost. 4000 hours labour is more that the sale price of one of your trucks.

When people obviously exaggerate, they lose credibility. When it is obvious that one statement is false, then how are you to trust in other statements?

You seem to come across as if the people that comment on here are stupid and inexperienced. You need to realize that most people on here are highly educated and very successful.
John, understood....mate look I think it would be great to set up a conference phone call maybe you, me and Jeff could get together on the line? It would be lovely to hear your voices and listen fully to you and answer your questions in real time, I could even give you a virtual tour around the premises on video call or something - OK mate gotta dash - got a school meeting - have a great day mate, Andy ps don't forget i'm here with one intent and that's to contribute - I love you guys because you love Defender, and i'm not gonna give up loving Defender or trying to love you lot
Old October 29th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkonik View Post
....could be confused as threat to those who are easily confused or easily threatened....
You see... THAT is a passive aggressive attack and the sort of thing that does not help your image.

Old October 29th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
John, understood....mate look I think it would be great to set up a conference phone call maybe you, me and Jeff could get together on the line?
Look. Just back up your claims with facts and figures here in the public forum. If you overstated things, own up to it. THAT would help your image a lot.

Old October 29th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Arkonik
Andrew Hayes
110 CS" V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I do agree the Alcantra comment was a bit much but Jeff does bring up valid points:

1. Why do you need to use a skim layer on brand new panels? On the one hand this guy is talking about globing on sealant and when questioned says Land Rover does it that way but when questioned about bondo says Land Rover doesn't do it right. Answers are always pushed in the direction to suit him.
2. I still don't understand these rebuilds and why people would ever buy them. When Savage Defender was selling them at least you had someone in the USA to go back to and yell at. With no USA network you would have to be nuts to buy one of the high end trucks. You have zero recourse. Granted if Foley was making the truck I would have no issue with this.
3. With so many good restoration shops in USA why bother with this at all.

Andy,

I'm not slamming your business. You have a reputation and that is on you. I hope you figure it out but again you are an ocean away trying to sell people high dollar vehicles. You might want to think about partnering with someone over here before anyone takes you seriously on this board.

Until then these glamour shots that always show the worst crap and are doing nothing to help your cause or your reputation.

Barry, i know your not slamming me mate, gotta dash, will catch up with the board tomorrow with some more thoughts...take care bud, Andy
Old October 29th, 2015, 01:32 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Briggs enjoys this - for some reason?

Anyway - you will find Alcantra used in some of the most expensive vehicles on the road (no I am not talking about the Uber ones) - Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Range Rover all use it. SO why shouldnt Arkonik

IF THAT IS WHAT THE BLOODY CUSTOMER WANTS!!!!!!!!! Jeez.
Mostly in America. In the rest of the world you can buy those expensive brands with cloth interiors. Here they slap fake leather in everything to justify the high price tag and luxury identity.

There is real leather and there is everything else.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old October 29th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

What were the hateful, derogatory and racist comments made regards to your staff? Clearly I missed those. Is that why you threatened to spam the board with reports every time someone makes a comment you don't approve of? You're making this so much more difficult for yourself than it really needs to be.

Quote:
I also understand how demands, by Arkonik, that Defender Source remove; False / Hateful / Spiteful / Derogatory and Racist comments regarding my staff
Old October 29th, 2015, 02:05 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I'm thinking that everyone needs to take a cooling off period.

Y'all getting a little hot under the collar.
Old October 29th, 2015, 02:12 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I'm thinking that everyone needs to take a cooling off period.

Y'all getting a little hot under the collar.
Or a holding pattern. Sounds like you need to come down and refuel.

Excuse me, what's the story with our chicken? Have the eggs had a chance to hatch yet? Maybe you can go check on it for me, if it's not too much trouble for you.

And what is the story with the chicken!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat