Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 14th, 2015, 07:34 AM
Lesandjes
AndrewT
'93 NAS D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
You guys are just merciless and unforgiving.
I'm open minded to checking the place out.
^
Yes to this.

When a vendor has issues and doesn't post here - he gets flamed for being a coward and not a 'stand up guy'. When someone comes on here and tries to explain things and engage in a discussion on the issues - he is told he is spamming the board. Really??

I have no interest in this either way (and no relationship or affiliation with any of the involved) other than, as a Defender enthusiast, I see it as in my own best interest to have a healthy and diverse vendor eco-system going forward where we all have more choices (and competition among those choices).

Everyone has made mistakes on builds. Look at ECR site and builds - they are prime examples of how you learn and evolve over time to get better at what you do to improve the product and the service for the customer. They have numerous examples of things they used to do in their rebuilds which they eventually discarded and improved upon over time. Do we call their earlier work crap and shoddy?

So this guy has posted here, made it clear he wants to have a good reputation in general and on the board here as he recognizes its importance and influence, admitted some prior work was not their best effort, offered to pay for people to come visit and inspect his facilities and work product, and made it clear he wants to be an ongoing contributor and value-added member of the community here. And he wants to make money as well. Nothing wrong with any of that in my opinion.

Just thinking logically, if his intent going forward is to get by with selling half-assed resto-mod defenders at super-inflated prices, why would he do any of this? Many do that now and don't need this forum to help them. He seems willing to take on the added scrutiny this forum applies to vendors like this. And for that, I am willing to give him a chance.

AndrewT
'93 NAS D110 #437
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2015, 07:52 AM
Elbee
Lance
1989 110 200tdi

Registry
I think there is such a bad after taste for the high priced, flashy, luxury trucks from all the various manufacturers that have sold trucks. The trucks themselves would be great for 40k-ish, all kitted out. But when you see stacks being dropped amounting to 70k, you expect immaculate unblemished truck with rebuilt mechanicals. Many companies sadly though have not lived up to this though. QC issues seem to have killed some many companies associated with supporting the land rover scene, even import scene overall.

It just hard to justify in my mind that 90 that is being sold for 30k. It a very basic truck, and we ALL know the market and 90s can be had for cheap. So when i see a 90 being sold for that high of price with nothing fancy (its not even diesel). I find it kinda silly. Parts are fairly cheap, its heard to justify the numbers especially if its being sourced and done up in the UK. Yes its a clean truck, but for the guys on the forum we know approximate cost and many are OCD when it comes to things well. So when you show a truck for high money expect a critical eye.

The company is going after people that want the icon, the IDEA of a defender. It is the romance of it, that why there is such a demand. Logically you would go for a Toyota but the price barrier to get into a "110" troopcarrier or 78 version of a Toyota is considerably higher than a landrover and and they don't have some of the "character" and romance of defender (i still want a 70 series though!)

Also last 2 cents
You seem desperate by spamming the site. Yes, I get you want to clear your name, you could of just made the thread yourself instead of annoying people on every thread. For some reason pretty much no one that has bought your trucks is on the forum, so its hard to see the work and physical evidence. I think the reason is because you are marketing your built trucks to probably a different sort of group than what is attracted to Defendersource (some of us end up investing 70k over years instead of buying one up front, but we know it is done properly). You have some very nicely kitted out trucks, with great accessories that guys would love to have.

Again, attention to details. on the trucks, in photos, and on your website, simpler the better.

cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Arkonik
Andrew Hayes
110 CS" V8

Elbee All well received and good advice - thank-you. Gonna get some Clients to post their own thoughts - they will need to be robust though, hopefully they are treated well enough...they are as enthusiastic abut their Defenders as the rest of us are....just so happens they have the money to build one and not the skill/time....How do I start a new thread, I wanted to post some photos today...but am struggling to find the route, help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2015, 08:44 AM
Elbee
Lance
1989 110 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkonik View Post
.How do I start a new thread, I wanted to post some photos today...but am struggling to find the route, help please
You have to click into a forum category and then you can either hit "New Thread" or under forum tools "Post a new thread"

I wouldn't worry about your customer's trucks. They don't have to be garage queens, quality parts and work can be fairly evident and should weather the test of time fairly well.
Old October 14th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
All who are not giving this guy a break.......

STOP.

For now we all know where you stand, however, as I have done in the past (Urban, see my threads) I give people/companies the benefit of doubt, until proven otherwise. As all companies getting into supporting this community do, they have growing pains, sure some stuff falls through the gaps - but then those gaps are closed. I am a consultant by profession, my job is to uncover issues at major Fortune 100 companies, identify gaps, and help companies close them - NO ONE is infallible.

Let Andy show us his operations, John (Phoenix57) and I, together with Will if he can make it, will give an unbiased and impartial overview of operations - together with a detailed review of them. Then we can all judge if the production mirrors the statements.

We need more companies like this in our marketplace - not less - encouragement, not disparagement is what we should be doing. After all every +$40K 25yr old truck just keeps up the value on ours!
Old October 14th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Arkonik
Andrew Hayes
110 CS" V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbee View Post
You have to click into a forum category and then you can either hit "New Thread" or under forum tools "Post a new thread"

I wouldn't worry about your customer's trucks. They don't have to be garage queens, quality parts and work can be fairly evident and should weather the test of time fairly well.
Thanks for your take Elbee - i'll work through the thread protocol and get some pics from Somerset on line as the day goes on....cheers Andy
Old October 14th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Lesandjes, the spamming comment is in reference to the same multi paragraph responce being posted in multiple threads where ever arkonik was referenced. I think much of it has been cleaned up now. As for thinking logically, he is trying to do damage control as it appears his past work is affecting sales. In his heyday, Aaron Richardet had tried to limit the honest criticism of the work and trucks he was peddling. -Jeff

Jeff

We should cut the bloke some slack
He is facing criticism like a champ, better than anyone ever did on the board

I can't believe the crap he gets about his prices and vehicles by people that will never spend 100k on a car, any car, yet judging what to expect for 100k

Not that I compare them to Ferrari, but if the critics had one, they would know you paid a high price and the leather in your dash came apart, or Lambo, do you guys remember the Countach and the Diablo , no criticism
Old October 14th, 2015, 09:23 AM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

We have one of their 110 builds at the shop in Pompano right now getting some work done. Ya'll are welcome to come see it while it is still here. Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 14th, 2015, 09:32 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT110 View Post
We have one of their 110 builds at the shop in Pompano right now getting some work done. Ya'll are welcome to come see it while it is still here. Ken
where are my lobsters????
Old October 14th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
History has proven that surprise inspections tend to be more informative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old October 14th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
<Wink>
Old October 14th, 2015, 11:09 AM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
I agree 100%. From this point forward, they aren't going to show anything questionable now that they are under the microscope. Quality isn't measured by what you are doing today, but what you do consistently over time. I would be more impressed if they just quietly put their heads down and let the work speak for it's self.

Sure, bringing people over is a wonderful idea, but it's no different than another kind of advertising. Get a "respected individual" to endorse you, and you've go it made. Bring them in, you have a captive audience there for a certain amount of time, and you can show them exactly what you want them to see. Someone just appearing on the doorstep would be a much more of an indication of reality. I mentioned before, if there is anything questionable is going to be rolled out the door and locked away long before anyone arrives.

Go away, improve your process, improve your product and let your advertising be the good word of satisfied customers and the product it's self. It's not going to happen over night, but they are in this position because they put themselves there, (as they have admitted) and now they are expecting everyone else to bring them out of it.

Asking the members of the board to change their reputation for them is really what they are asking here.
Old October 14th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
Old October 14th, 2015, 11:15 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Without sifting thru this and his new thread, what kind of warranty if any is offered and has anybody actually dealt with Arkonik for any after the sale issues?
Old October 14th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
At the risk of invoking Godwin's Law, I work in a place that deals directly with a topic that was featured front and center in many "doctored" photgraphs and films. I'll refrain from posting links for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old October 14th, 2015, 11:25 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Its more than an upside down spring. Does any of it look ready for reassembly? -Jeff
I'll have to pull it up on a computer to see.

I've been doing most everything on the iPhone and can't really see the picture clearly.

Is the shock upside down also?
Old October 14th, 2015, 11:42 AM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy View Post
where are my lobsters????
Still in the ocean! You should have asked where the Nantucket Bay Scallops are..

Old October 14th, 2015, 11:45 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Without sifting thru this and his new thread, what kind of warranty if any is offered and has anybody actually dealt with Arkonik for any after the sale issues?
Not a problem at all. If in the rare case the truck breaks down or the bondo starts to flake off, you can just ship it right back. You also can travel for free to watch them repair it, that is if you ride in the truck for the voyage.
Old October 14th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkonik View Post
In the meantime, we have a number of trucks arriving through Newark for delivery, one will be passing through a main JLR network dealer, so could be a chance for some of you NY guys to visit this first hand (I know we have a forum member working in the dealership - so that could be fun!)
Is it going to Land Rover Glen Cove? I used to work there, but I switched to Land Rover Manhattan. I seem to remember the VP of that dealership saying that they had ordered one of your trucks. If it goes to LRGC I could probably stop by there to take a look at it. I imagine it will sell quickly, but Long Island Land Rover customers complain about every squeak, rattle, leak, ect.. Those people will be expecting a no apologies truck.
Old October 14th, 2015, 12:03 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Is it going to Land Rover Glen Cove? I used to work there, but I switched to Land Rover Manhattan. I seem to remember the VP of that dealership saying that they had ordered one of your trucks. If it goes to LRGC I could probably stop by there to take a look at it. I imagine it will sell quickly, but Long Island Land Rover customers complain about every squeak, rattle, leak, ect.. Those people will be expecting a no apologies truck.
If the truck doesn't come with rattles and squeaks, the roads in and around NY will certainly create them.

I broke a new front Bilstein Shock on my Range Rover up there.
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat