Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 13th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
So anyone that questions the build quality gets a free trip to the UK?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Arkonik
Andrew Hayes
110 CS" V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
Rocky,
If you don't want it, I'll take it. Lol

Oh wait! I already fly free. But I'll take the rest of the offer.

I've been to thirty countries but I've not been to England yet.
Free flights!! ha, OK get your ass over here....and we'll treat you to some all English hospitality along with a chance to check us out personally, seriously man - some of you guys need to get over here...we're getting a real bad press on this forum and its largely unfounded - you guys all know like I know that there's always more than one side to any story, there's a team of 40 real men and women here - with real families and real mortgages and real bills who are getting seriously upset with reading some of this stuff on here....they come to work everyday and work their butts off for nothing but to do their very best, no-one is building vehicles for the USA with as much care....yes, of course, there have been some difficulties we are working with Land Rovers FFS....the more I read on here actually it seems that UK importers are all tarred with the same brush....if you guys only knew how much work we've done (and continue to do) to protect US consumers...seriously get yourselves together and get over here.....I will then respect you and your judgement as I find it...cheers guys. Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2015, 01:38 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Andy, Are any of your customers (owners of an "Arkonik" vehicle) on our forum? Maybe that would be the best way to set the record straight.
Old October 13th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
Andy, Are any of your customers (owners of an "Arkonik" vehicle) on our forum? Maybe that would be the best way to set the record straight.
Precisely. Any information that comes directly from a business is more or less useless. Positive comments from someone that has looked at a truck or trucks and knows what they are looking at AND has zero affiliation with the company is the only thing anyone will car about.

At this point, there have been negative reviews from people like this....

There are lots of companies that build trucks that have a great reputation on this forum. This comes from people seeing the trucks, from people buying the truck, coming on and telling everyone how good the work is.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old October 13th, 2015, 01:45 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Andrew - as with most other shops refurbishing Defenders, post a few in progress photos of your current builds. These will go a long way conveying the type of work Arkonik performs. Here are a few from your FB page. It is understood the depth of teardown is up to the client's budget and overall goals.

Moderator note: Hot link to Arkonik Facebook photos removed at request of Arkonik under threat of legal action.
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...04&oe=5684908D
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...2e&oe=56923372
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...b4&oe=569C665E
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...55&oe=5697A163
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...fc&oe=569880D0
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...7e&oe=56C6205E
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...5c&oe=56972BD4
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...d5&oe=56CB3D01
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...f9&oe=5699CCDF
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...9c&oe=56C49E51
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...bb&oe=56865D07
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...63&oe=56CCEDB0
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...ee&oe=56850F06
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...0f&oe=5698252F
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...4f&oe=569B1CEB
Old October 13th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Arkonik
Andrew Hayes
110 CS" V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Precisely. Any information that comes directly from a business is more or less useless. Positive comments from someone that has looked at a truck or trucks and knows what they are looking at AND has zero affiliation with the company is the only thing anyone will car about.

At this point, there have been negative reviews from people like this....

There are lots of companies that build trucks that have a great reputation on this forum. This comes from people seeing the trucks, from people buying the truck, coming on and telling everyone how good the work is.
Red, I agree 100% with you....our own PR aint worth a penny to anyone who does not really understand what it is to do what we all love to do....mess around with Defenders!!

So Red seriously come and see us and be the judge - i'll pay. But make sure that....

1) You have a passport

2) You are happy to try to properly understand what it means to spend 4000 hours to utterly dismantle a 25 year old Defender to its frame, its motor to its block, its gearbox's and axles to their casings, its body to nothing and then paint it, rebuild it bolt by bolt, bit by bit....test it for 500 miles and then let it go...

3) You want to see the evidence of Arkonik for yourself so as you can accurately and truthfully report on the facts on this forum.

4) You have previously voiced an opinion about Arkonik on this forum which might be considered biased due to you having not met us or our product.

So i'm happy to put my money where my mouth is....return trip, hotels, fun in the Somerset countryside and a chance to meet a team of 40 plus Defender enthusiasts restoring the best selected 110's and 90's you could find. I've got to limit it though mate, I can't afford to ship all you Land Rover nuts over here! :0) so i'm giving away 3 chances to 3 people on this forum to come to England and truly judge for themselves - ps we've got no hard feelings here....anyone who comes will be treated like a king!!

------ Follow up post added October 13th, 2015 11:59 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
You say you have a 'factory' and are 'making' Defenders. Are you creating new vehicles?
Sounds more like you have a 'workshop' and 'restore/rebuild' Defenders.

As to the work you do, are you just doing paint and wax oil? Are you actually rebuilding and of the mechanical components?

-Jeff
Jeff - i'm gonna get some photos on here tomorrow of the "factory" and the "process" - we don't waxoil - we restore original chassis and then rust proof and then use Raptor coatings for hard wearing protection. All motors are reduced to block and rebuilt by us in house (team of 3 engine builders run by a 20 year served tech - who's crazier about Land Rovers than everyone on this forum put together -lol) every gearboxes and transfer boxes is rebuilt as is every axle - all casings are bead blasted for a smooth painted finish. Mate we employ 40 people and build between 4 and 5 trucks a month....were either very lazy or very careful and very thorough - tell me what you think when you see the photos - cheers, Andy
Old October 13th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Alright Andy - I'm in....I will photo document everything for the board, post a huge write up of what you do and how you do it.

Count me in...oh and I want one of your 110's to bomb around in while there - as we say "the proof of the pudding is in the eating"

So - to get in touch with me PM me, I will respond with my email and away we go...off for a complete shop shoot.
Old October 13th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Arkonik
Andrew Hayes
110 CS" V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Andrew - as with most other shops refurbishing Defenders, post a few in progress photos of current builds. These will go a long way conveying the type of work that Arkonik performs.
I'm going to do exactly what you suggest Sir, thank-you for your polite tone and advice....Andy
Old October 13th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Arkonik
Andrew Hayes
110 CS" V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Alright Andy - I'm in....I will photo document everything for the board, post a huge write up of what you do and how you do it.

Count me in...oh and I want one of your 110's to bomb around in while there - as we say "the proof of the pudding is in the eating"

So - to get in touch with me PM me, I will respond with my email and away we go...off for a complete shop shoot.
Jonesy - OK lets do it we can talk through the detail tomorrow - email me please mate on andy.hayes@arkonik.com - and we can get the ball rolling.....you just won yourself an all expenses paid trip to England mate.....ps - course you can drive the trucks - but I gotta be with you for insurance an to make sure you don't beat the shit out of a Clients truck we've got a great range of 110 200 TDi's and V8's that are yet to enter production we can go have some fun with these aswell off road.....all you need is your passport and your own opinion....catch up tomorrow mate, Andy
Old October 13th, 2015, 02:15 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
I will be staying in Bath for a few days in about a week and a half. I am already taking my wife on the Defender factory tour during that time so don't want to push my luck. I hope someone takes you up on your offer though.
Old October 13th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Arkonik
Andrew Hayes
110 CS" V8

Quote:
Id love to see the pics. As for trucks that you have shipped over here, are there any of these that have been seized, or turned arround/sent back at the port? Of those that made it through, are the owners willing to share their experiance, let others have a look at their truck?

-Jeff
Jeff - short answer none of our trucks have been seized - this is factual and audit-able. We had one truck turned around about 2 years ago because it was fitted with a 200 - this was before EPA and DOT combined to answer the 23 year old motor vs 25 year old platform question. Since then all we have shipped is 19J TD and Rover V8........although (excitingly) we are just about now starting on the first of our 200 builds...

....I have worked tirelessly with various authorities to put a stop to the crime that has threatened Consumers and Legitimate business like ours, I don't like whats being said about us on here - i've kept quiet up till now....but its getting out of hand mate and its not fair on the people that come to work at Arkonik everyday....we are just working people....building Defenders....to the best of our ability.....I challenge anyone to do it better within the limitations of Federal DOT / EPA / NHSTA / CBP requirements. Not to mention within the limitations of Defender. And the limitations of fragile people, staff and customers alike.

Have you see our website Jeff? There is a long list of customers sharing their experiences with us....not made up - just real people with real Arkonik Defenders.

Where do you live mate, I can see who we have close to you that maybe you could visit?
Old October 13th, 2015, 02:48 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Wow! Quite the PR campaign we have here.
Old October 13th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Arkonik
Andrew Hayes
110 CS" V8

trip to Bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
I will be staying in Bath for a few days in about a week and a half. I am already taking my wife on the Defender factory tour during that time so don't want to push my luck. I hope someone takes you up on your offer though.
Chris - seriously!! You can't come to Bath and not come see us - we are like 10 miles south of the city....come and see us - i'll pick you up in the finest 110 - V8 you ever seen, tell your wife that our local pub sells the best grub in Somerset and it's next door to a great shoe shop! contact me anytime mate lets arrange something - you can't miss us....we are as worth seeing as the JLR operation, and we'll still be continuing the tradition long after they have finished....my email andy.hayes@arkonik.com
Old October 13th, 2015, 03:54 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
The problem with your website is exactly that...its YOUR website. Its a marketing tool. Its designed to tell the good and leave out the bad. The part-out thread negates all of the fluff on your website.

While it seems like semantics, the words you choose to use DO matter. I understand there are some cultural differences/sayings etc, but I dont call filling a 1/4 panel with bondo 'building' 'rebuilding 'making' 'restoring'. I call it a shoddy repair being covered with shiny paint, and passed of as new.

Moderator note: Hot link to Arkonik Facebook photo removed at request of Arkonik under threat of legal action
https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d2&oe=56BF2E63

As for 'fair' its a communist word that doesn't actually exist in real life. Is it 'fair that people trust your marketing BS and end up overspending on a polished turd? If you were/are serious about making a name for your products, then the 'pre-production' truck would have been finished to the standard you are willing to stand behind, rather than make excuses for. You prior actions have earned you the reputation that you now wear. Don't shoot the messenger.

-Jeff
Pull yourself out the republic and go and hold Jonesy's hand ... your kitchen can wait ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old October 13th, 2015, 04:11 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
You can fly me over there... I'll come over give an honest opinion of what i see.
Old October 13th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Pull yourself out the republic and go and hold Jonesy's hand ... your kitchen can wait ...

baaaaahaaaaaa
Old October 13th, 2015, 04:28 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
This pic speaks volumes.

Moderator note: Hot link to Arkonik Facebook photo removed at request of Arkonik under threat of legal action.
https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...a9&oe=56C00DD0

There are plenty more pics here:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...d90-64637.html

-Jeff
I'm glad somebody noticed.
Old October 13th, 2015, 04:28 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Should the forum vote and nominate who they think would be the best people to review Arkonik? Realizing some may have no interest in going...
Old October 13th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
Should the forum vote and nominate who they think would be the best people to review Arkonik? Realizing some may have no interest in going...
NOPE - its me. Already sorted...

and a special guest...
Old October 13th, 2015, 04:41 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
I nominate Bill Cox or Charles Mogford.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat