ARKONIK's Response to: Homeland Security took my 110 - Page 19 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 30th, 2016, 03:43 PM
havens51
joseph
97 NAS D90 ST, 88 D110, 66 109 sold

Registry

Hmm. I don't know the fellow's name. He claimed to my friend that he had grown up with rovers in Brazil and would be happy to restore his 109.
He is some where near Austin Texas.
You seem to have missed my point. That being: there is some really shoddy work out there, internationally. Why single out one firm that does a pretty good job for the money, and then has proven to stand behind their work, even under duress?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2016, 04:12 PM
havens51
joseph
97 NAS D90 ST, 88 D110, 66 109 sold

Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Glad you are happy with your truck. No doubt are there a lot of shady operations in the US as well. Just curious, how many miles have you put on your truck? Next time I go outside I will take some pictures of the paint issues on my truck which took over 3 years to surface. I'm not saying they do poor quality paint work, just my experience (working in the auto industry) is that the vast majority of non-factory paintwork is pretty bad.
I have roughly 5000 miles on the truck.
I don't know what the future will hold.
Frankly, I thought the paint job was one of the better features of the restoration. I know it doesn't help, but it seems that Arkonik was in fact on a learning curve over the past several years.

I have also learned that some local mechanics are in a big hurry to find fault with foreign restoration.
I brought the 110 in to a shop on Nantucket for an oil change. I also wanted them to look at a belt squeal when the A/C is on.
They found that it was actually not the AC belt but the power steering pump was bad and had to be replaced. They also told me that the squeal was all the time. (No, it wasn't).
A week later I brought the truck back for a light dimmer switch replacement and now the new claim was the front axle seal was leaking and fouling the left front brake.
This wasn't noticed the week before.
They also went on to break the bonnet release handle and fouled the hood safety release hook.
I fixed those myself.
The truck works fine, A/C works, no noise, steering is fine, brakes are fine. Truck passed state inspection yesterday.
I feel bad about your paint, and that sucks for sure.
Perhaps we could talk about the much maligned 19 J some time? It is what I wanted for my purposes, and I like it. Isn't it what most 110s were fitted with from the factory?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2016, 07:37 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
Dude, we need to talk. I'm one of the plane spotters at PDX, and the locals love the T-38's. Next time you are in town, I'll buy you a beer ...if you have long enough on ground to meet regs.

https://flic.kr/p/9VnB7d

This is at Ship's Mechanical. Doug is sometimes on this board. He's been doing Rovers for something like 40 years. One of the founders of the PCRC. It is under the approach to 28L, just south of the Costco. If you saw a Rover shop near pizza, maybe you were at Columbia Roving downtown? Good people there as well.

I was wondering if anyone would notice that it's at a shop -- says something, maybe, about the vehicle? Hummmm....
Awesome! I won't fly a 38 for probably another month or two but I'll def try to get up there. We are pretty limited on where we can go because of the heat and lack of wings on thsee things.

------ Follow up post added August 1st, 2016 06:41 PM ------

Bistro 23 Restaurant | Near Portland International Airport (PDX) Casual Dining | Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Salads Sandwiches this is where I ate.

Must have been double J motorwerks? Not sure why I saw so many Rovers.

------ Follow up post added August 1st, 2016 06:46 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Loved the T-38's ever since they got mocked up as Russian "MiG's" in Top Gun ;-)
I always try to use TopGun quotes when I fly.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old December 10th, 2016, 10:56 AM
WestTX
Jared Gist
Defender 110 '85

Arkonik Owner

I purchased an Arkonik for all of 3 months and sold it!

Paint I can tell you was pretty good minus the roof which I could see was probably not done correctly. You could see a visible line 6-8 inches back from the from window. No doubt a seam that got covered in bondo that overtime would crack and rust.

The doors popped and caught even though the gaps were correct from the outside.

Some of the exmoor door trims were already cutting through the leather whenever you opened and closed the doors. The leather was too proud in the door jams and caught.

They send you 15 keys. Why not key everything alike? Or atleast minimize it all.

They put the cheapest connections I've ever seen on the battery. They're not wven adjustable. You had no bolt to tighten. So I had to exchange those immediately.

The starter went out in less than 50 miles. I know I'm not the first to report on this.

I have a very trusty mechanic who has worked on defenders for years. I had exhaust leaks and needing tuning and some fair help. He wanted to custom build some pieces to help but I never got around to it.

I live in Texas. The A/C never worked! Like ever!!!!! Not even close! Not even when it was 60-70 in the AM would it work. Absolute joke of a retrofit.

Their "all weather mats" they charge stupid money for are hand cut out of a pile of trash. I was told I was getting weather tech type custom fit Land Rover mats. Not even close.

Never had an antenna.

Someone at their "port company" somehow let mine go without front speakers and tweeters. So yeah that showed up just missing.

Truck was delivered a year late. Yes a YEAR!!!!

Not a fan and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I sold it and am back to my 86' D110 and will probably do something else.

I'm sure someone will argue and tell me how great theirs is...

But not a fan!!! And in no way would recommend
Old December 10th, 2016, 12:46 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTX View Post
I purchased an Arkonik for all of 3 months and sold it! Paint I can tell you was pretty good minus the roof which I could see was probably not done correctly. You could see a visible line 6-8 inches back from the from window. No doubt a seam that got covered in bondo that overtime would crack and rust. The doors popped and caught even though the gaps were correct from the outside. Some of the exmoor door trims were already cutting through the leather whenever you opened and closed the doors. The leather was too proud in the door jams and caught. They send you 15 keys. Why not key everything alike? Or atleast minimize it all. They put the cheapest connections I've ever seen on the battery. They're not wven adjustable. You had no bolt to tighten. So I had to exchange those immediately. The starter went out in less than 50 miles. I know I'm not the first to report on this. I have a very trusty mechanic who has worked on defenders for years. I had exhaust leaks and needing tuning and some fair help. He wanted to custom build some pieces to help but I never got around to it. I live in Texas. The A/C never worked! Like ever!!!!! Not even close! Not even when it was 60-70 in the AM would it work. Absolute joke of a retrofit. Their "all weather mats" they charge stupid money for are hand cut out of a pile of trash. I was told I was getting weather tech type custom fit Land Rover mats. Not even close. Never had an antenna. Someone at their "port company" somehow let mine go without front speakers and tweeters. So yeah that showed up just missing. Truck was delivered a year late. Yes a YEAR!!!! Not a fan and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I sold it and am back to my 86' D110 and will probably do something else. I'm sure someone will argue and tell me how great theirs is... But not a fan!!! And in no way would recommend
Any pics? Did you lose money?
Old December 10th, 2016, 12:53 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Any pics? Did you lose money?
Would love a vin number for future tracking purposes to.
Old December 10th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Amazing and not at all surprising.
Old December 10th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Coming back to this, what do Jonesy and Lav have to say about this? This is exactly what I would expect from Arkonik.
Old December 10th, 2016, 07:48 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Coming back to this, what do Jonesy and Lav have to say about this? This is exactly what I would expect from Arkonik.
I'll refer you to paragraphs 6 and 7 here:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...tml#post693071

Not sure where this vehicle falls in their "production" timeline, but also our recommendations were just that - suggestions for ways that things can, and needed to, be improved upon. I was pretty vocal about one of my main input areas being the use of filler on body panels - and my understanding was that was going to be one of the areas that folks would be "educated" on in advance of the build, and essentially given a choice of a 'straight panel' look or the 'enthusiast package' that uses factory panels with all of their imperfections/etc.

Unfortunately I can't say first hand what process improvements were made based on recommendations, but it's also no secret that I'm not a fan of things like upgraded "plush" interiors, A/C (useless in most pre-Puma Defenders, much less ones that are retrofit to older motor setups), and other such things to begin with. When things along these lines present issues I just sort of scratch my head because to me these are out-of-place on a Defender to start with (but not sure where you assign blame on this stuff, builder or customer...probably both).

As far as keys, can't comment on 15 as I don't even need 1 to start my truck . But regardless, while this truck didn't catch on fire or similar, these small issues definitely add up and absolutely should have been addressed or corrected....at the same time sound like issues that would plague even a $60-70k (or more) NAS. But then again, even those NAS are overpriced for what you get for the money....and likewise, it's no secret that my stance is that *ANY* Defender you throw money at....whether it be $10k or $80k....is still and overpriced piece of crap for what you get for the money . I love my pieces of crap, and put more miles on them than most folks, but i attribute that to a high tolerance for pain and ignoring the fact that my children are likely suffering from premature hearing loss.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 10th, 2016, 08:06 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post

... A/C (useless in most Defenders, much less ones that are retrofit to older motor setups), and other such things to begin with. When things along these lines present issues I just sort of scratch my head because to me these are out-of-place on a Defender to start with (but not sure where you assign blame on this stuff, builder or customer...probably both).
I will go ahead and disagree with this completely. My truck is totally comfortable in the middle of summer in NYC traffic running the a/c on low speed. I only have issues in high humidity when at highway speed for over an hour and I'm pretty confident that could be cured by properly insulating the cabin and replacing all of the door seals. As a side note, the aftermarket door seals I installed are far worse than the original ones, so Genuine is the only way to go IMO.

Quote:

As far as keys, can't comment on 15 as I don't even need 1 to start my car .
This comes down to attention to detail. Jason England spent the time to rekey his new doors to match his ignition, why can't Arkonik?

Quote:
But regardless, while this truck didn't catch on fire or similar, these small issues definitely add up and should have been addressed or corrected....at the same time sound like issues that would plague even a $60-70k (or more) NAS. But then again, even those NAS are overpriced for what you get for the money....but likewise, it's no secret that my stance is that *ANY* Defender you throw money at....whether it be $10k or $80k....is still and overpriced piece of crap for what you get for the money .
I won't go into the whole Defenders being overvalued, which they are, but Arkonik trucks are overpriced. In the end, the buyer is receiving a generally undesirable truck that has been polished to look nice and sell to an uneducated buyer. Lipstick on a pig...

Quote:
I love my pieces of crap, and put more miles on them than most folks, but i attribute that to a high tolerance for pain and ignoring the fact that my children are likely suffering from premature hearing loss.
You trailer your truck
Old December 10th, 2016, 08:51 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
I dunno Jimmy for one, I don't know this bloke, and I've never seen the vehicle he is referring too...as we have seen and been witness too someone's idea of an issue is someone else's idea of not a problem. I for one, before speculating, would want to see what this blokes issues are...I have seen first hand the amount of care, attention to detail and personal sweat that everyone of Arkoniks cars have into them....as far as I know the only people that have are me, Jason and Eraklis....plus of course their owners....while one pops up on here occasionally you don't hear from the 100+ (dunno the right numbrer) that take delivery each year. So we might always be looking for that smoking gun....but before you do....go ask all those happy dudes who don't post here.
Old December 10th, 2016, 09:40 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

When you pay these prices there should be no issues whether deemed non issues or not.

The hundreds that don't post here are clueless fools who buy this crap and ecd type trucks. They aren't educated buyers that come to this board. If they did they wouldn't buy any of them.

Selling to non educated people who don't complain is no gauge on quality.
Old December 10th, 2016, 09:53 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 95 RRC

Quote:
When you pay these prices there should be no issues whether deemed non issues or not. The hundreds that don't post here are clueless fools who buy this crap and ecd type trucks. They aren't educated buyers that come to this board. If they did they wouldn't buy any of them. Selling to non educated people who don't complain is no gauge on quality.
holy crap!!! Barry we agree on something... Does that make us friends?
Old December 10th, 2016, 09:57 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I will go ahead and disagree with this completely. My truck is totally comfortable in the middle of summer in NYC traffic running the a/c on low speed. I only have issues in high humidity when at highway speed for over an hour and I'm pretty confident that could be cured by properly insulating the cabin and replacing all of the door seals. As a side note, the aftermarket door seals I installed are far worse than the original ones, so Genuine is the only way to go IMO.
Perhaps your missed my comment "much less ones that are retrofit to older motor setups" . Admittedly my A/C experience has not been in newer trucks, but still most people I've come across it's certainly not like A/C in an Audi A8 when it comes down to it.

Quote:
This comes down to attention to detail. Jason England spent the time to rekey his new doors to match his ignition, why can't Arkonik?
Not arguing that fact, but not sure why it's worth debating over some keys? Again, I'm not one that even locks any of my trucks so probably not the right person to ask on this.

Quote:
I won't go into the whole Defenders being overvalued, which they are, but Arkonik trucks are overpriced. In the end, the buyer is receiving a generally undesirable truck that has been polished to look nice and sell to an uneducated buyer. Lipstick on a pig...
I'm sure your NAS is overpriced...not based on what you bought it for, but for what someone would now pay for it. Overpriced or overvalued....not sure there's much of a difference there.

Quote:
You trailer your truck
Twice...in 75k miles have any of my Defenders been trailered . Well, three times if you count my NAS when it tried to catch fire within 2-miles of it's original purchase point!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 10th, 2016, 10:54 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

I mean, are we really ignore the fact that Barry and I agree on something? Seriously nothing? Barry I feel like that scene from Step brothers where Will Farrell and John C Riley realize they where kindred spirits!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2657990760.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	358.0 KB
ID:	177953  
Old December 10th, 2016, 11:04 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
My whole thing with Arkonik is that you could spend that money with someone like Brian, for example, and get an awesome build with desirable components. Not some ribbed roof 2.5 NA turd with a spray painted engine bay.
Old December 10th, 2016, 11:10 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
I mean, are we really ignore the fact that Barry and I agree on something? Seriously nothing? Barry I feel like that scene from Step brothers where Will Farrell and John C Riley realize they where kindred spirits!
It was bound to happen!
Old December 10th, 2016, 11:12 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Awwww Shucks!!! Here is our LS3 that we just delivered to our customer... Had a $115k in work with us which is about 40k cheaper then most of the builds I have seen. Anyway Barry don't say anything about the LED's I know they are Wipaks... At the end of the day it is about managing expectations, it's safe to say a truck that cost $150k should have matching keys or that proper paint. If you spent $150 on a Maserati and there where paint issues you would call them out in a heart beat. Why are expectations different just because it's a defender? We repainted an entire truck because the capping where a different color and we couldn't match the paint to save our lives... It's all about standards, granted we only built four trucks this year... But if you can't get one right why strive for a 100?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2119578751.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	493.7 KB
ID:	177961  
Old December 10th, 2016, 11:14 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
It was bound to happen!
I'll spring for the matching "Judy Tenuta" t-shirts!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 10th, 2016, 11:58 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
Awwww Shucks!!! Here is our LS3 that we just delivered to our customer... Had a $115k in work with us which is about 40k cheaper then most of the builds I have seen. Anyway Barry don't say anything about the LED's I know they are Wipaks... At the end of the day it is about managing expectations, it's safe to say a truck that cost $150k should have matching keys or that proper paint. If you spent $150 on a Maserati and there where paint issues you would call them out in a heart beat. Why are expectations different just because it's a defender? We repainted an entire truck because the capping where a different color and we couldn't match the paint to save our lives... It's all about standards, granted we only built four trucks this year... But if you can't get one right why strive for a 100?
What's the deal with the cage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat