ARKONIK's Response to: Homeland Security took my 110 - Page 18 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 30th, 2015, 10:54 AM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
The one question I would like to see answered by each of the three visitors is a simple yes or no answer. Would you buy a truck from Arkonik?
Don't you mean WHY would you buy a truck from Arkonik?

Personally, after seeing one of their trucks up close, and photos of others, I would not risk my money on their product.

Putting it into perspective, if you were going to hire a company to renovate your home, and you came across a renovation company with the same track record as Arkonik, would you hire them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2015, 10:55 AM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
The one question I would like to see answered by each of the three visitors is a simple yes or no answer. Would you buy a truck from Arkonik?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
..........edit

So would that a be a no...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
If you are spending that much money why not go to ECR?
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2015, 12:10 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
If you are spending that much money why not go to ECR?
Good question...
Old November 30th, 2015, 12:24 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Alright, I just saw the review after posting my question. The review is unbiased by my reading and does highlight both the good and the bad.
For those who care here is my take.
A Defender is a tool much like a hammer or a rifle. It is made to be used and enjoyed. It isn't a Lamborghini or coveted RN mug. People who pay top dollar for a "collectors" truck are not looking for what 90% of us are looking for. I don't get the $100k Defender or the $100k Rangie but each to their own. Also, people who own $100k resto-classics don't use them as daily drivers. If they did they would PROBABLY experience similar issues too.
Thanks to the trio who went to see their operations first hand.
Old July 29th, 2016, 03:01 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
So I just got back from spotting Rovers in the UK, but I don't think I saw any of the Arkonik vehicles, unless from a distance. However, I ran across one today in Portland.

Looks like a good build. No rust, quality paint and body. I just can't figure how you get it into the USA with a 300Tdi!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28019589683_8479887181_o.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	154737  

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old July 29th, 2016, 05:04 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
No rust, quality paint and body.
You can't really judge a paint job if it is recent. Poor quality paint work really starts to show over time. The paint on my truck looks like shit. When I bought it a few years ago there was only one tiny bubble the size of a quarter on the tub. Now that bubble has spread the length of the tub and there are many other paint issues.
Old July 29th, 2016, 06:19 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
You can't really judge a paint job if it is recent. Poor quality paint work really starts to show over time. The paint on my truck looks like shit. When I bought it a few years ago there was only one tiny bubble the size of a quarter on the tub. Now that bubble has spread the length of the tub and there are many other paint issues.
agreed

Likely the 300tdi was installed stateside
Old July 30th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 95 RRC

We have have one that came into my buddies shop, it is a really clean build. To get technical about the paint they are struggling with the same issues we are.... Solvent pop and the clear shrinking back, it also has some tiger striping in the metallic on the fenders(they are a different shade all together so they could have been done at a later time)... The total build is really clean and one of the nicest defenders I have seen on the road, the only kicker is the little 2.5 with what appears to be a warped head and over heating! Other then that, a really nice truck
Old July 30th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
the only kicker is the little 2.5 with what appears to be a warped head and over heating!
Big surprise there...

This has been my problem with them all along. They are selling polished turds built from undesirable/inferior components. I understand that they are limited by what they can get through customs, but that is exactly why I think they should be avoided.
Old July 30th, 2016, 09:56 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
I don't understand why for that price they haven't exported NAS shitboz discos, rebuilt the 3.9s and 4.0s and installed them in the 90s 110s with approved engines? Assuming that's legal, if not, for that price why the he'll can't they do the same thing stateside. I'm sure there is a shop that would happily swap in a NAS disco V8 that was fully rebuilt for the 10-20k they charge for a full engine rebuild that has only 500 miles of life in it.

------ Follow up post added July 30th, 2016 09:57 AM ------

Quote:
So I just got back from spotting Rovers in the UK, but I don't think I saw any of the Arkonik vehicles, unless from a distance. However, I ran across one today in Portland.

Looks like a good build. No rust, quality paint and body. I just can't figure how you get it into the USA with a 300Tdi!
Is this at a shop near a pizza place? I flew a t38 to Portland not long ago and while eating a pizza at some place noticed a Rover shop across the street.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old July 30th, 2016, 10:12 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
not legal...needs to be same type of motor that was fitted when manufactured.
Old July 30th, 2016, 10:30 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
I don't understand why for that price they haven't exported NAS shitboz discos, rebuilt the 3.9s and 4.0s and installed them in the 90s 110s with approved engines? Assuming that's legal, if not, for that price why the he'll can't they do the same thing stateside. I'm sure there is a shop that would happily swap in a NAS disco V8 that was fully rebuilt for the 10-20k they charge for a full engine rebuild that has only 500 miles of life in it.

------ Follow up post added July 30th, 2016 09:57 AM ------

Is this at a shop near a pizza place? I flew a t38 to Portland not long ago and while eating a pizza at some place noticed a Rover shop across the street.
Dude, we need to talk. I'm one of the plane spotters at PDX, and the locals love the T-38's. Next time you are in town, I'll buy you a beer ...if you have long enough on ground to meet regs.

https://flic.kr/p/9VnB7d

This is at Ship's Mechanical. Doug is sometimes on this board. He's been doing Rovers for something like 40 years. One of the founders of the PCRC. It is under the approach to 28L, just south of the Costco. If you saw a Rover shop near pizza, maybe you were at Columbia Roving downtown? Good people there as well.

I was wondering if anyone would notice that it's at a shop -- says something, maybe, about the vehicle? Hummmm....

1965 IIa SWB
Old July 30th, 2016, 12:25 PM
havens51
joseph
97 NAS D90 ST, 88 D110, 66 109 sold

Registry
Quote:
Big surprise there...

This has been my problem with them all along. They are selling polished turds built from undesirable/inferior components. I understand that they are limited by what they can get through customs, but that is exactly why I think they should be avoided.
Hey Dude, I think you need a wake up call.
Avoid anybody you want, but let's not avoid the objective truth.

These are the facts by my personal experience and by the reckoning of this board as I understand it:

Let me start by saying that I have no particular affection for Arkonik . I do, however, love my truck that was restored by them. Mine and two others of which I am directly familiar are good sound restorations. Is Arkonik capable of bone headed mistakes, short cuts, and oversights?
Yes.
However, I have two friends that have had "American " restorations to their 88 and 109 respectively. Both spent big money, one by a local guy in Texas, the other by an " expert" outfit in CT.
Do you want to talk about "polished turds"? All components painted the body color including door latches, vent adjusters, etc. No stays in the front doors, problem after problem, Etc., etc.
The 109 arrived after a 3 1/2 year "restoration " and the new batteries keep dying due to a rats nest electrical system that has to be done over.
Do you honestly think the big name American outfits are immune to unexpected things like blown heads, etc.? Think again, my friend.
Calling names without an objective over view is not often a good look.
You can do better than that.
Old July 30th, 2016, 12:44 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Jimmy has seen their work up close and can offer a honest opinion of what he's seen…
I've also worked on one and it had some much turd polish on it wasn't even funny…

But if posting up vague descriptions of complaints from your friends about US shops is going to help you face the reality that in a year or two your gonna need to paint your truck, or repair something done half-ass…knock yourself out
Old July 30th, 2016, 12:48 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
... I'm one of the plane spotters at PDX, and the locals love the T-38's. Next time you are in town, I'll buy you a beer if you have long enough on ground to meet regs.

If you saw a Rover shop near pizza, maybe you were at Columbia Roving downtown? Good people there as well.
Loved the T-38's ever since they got mocked up as Russian "MiG's" in Top Gun ;-)

If you are eating pizza near Columbia Roving, I think you'd have to be looking at it from across 405. Only a couple dive bars near Columbia Roving iirc.
Old July 30th, 2016, 01:49 PM
havens51
joseph
97 NAS D90 ST, 88 D110, 66 109 sold

Registry

I've owned the truck for over a year and I truly enjoy it. Paint is just fine. I can only report on my truck and two others. It seems like we are both utilizing a limited sample size from which to draw conclusions.

"Vague"? Ok, my friend waits 3 1/2 years to have his long time family owned 109 fully restored.
It arrives with a dead battery. I helped replace the battery and the new one died within a week. The truck is now in the shop and my friend has not done more than 50 miles on the restored truck. This is a heart break

I trust that is less vague.
Old July 30th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Glad you are happy with your truck. No doubt are there a lot of shady operations in the US as well. Just curious, how many miles have you put on your truck? Next time I go outside I will take some pictures of the paint issues on my truck which took over 3 years to surface. I'm not saying they do poor quality paint work, just my experience (working in the auto industry) is that the vast majority of non-factory paintwork is pretty bad.
Old July 30th, 2016, 02:31 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

less vague would be having a set of balls and telling everyone who did the work that you're willing to disclose as so "poor"...
Old July 30th, 2016, 02:35 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
My truck has paint issues. It was painted in the UK by a dealer who is a bit iffy. They seem to have used good equipment and good paint, but they did not prep correctly -- painted right over the original. Probably scuffed it up a bit first is all. So any of the corrosion that was there, is now getting worse.

Well, the original paint was really faded, and the new paint is a blue that I don't like, so I'll end up painting it myself some day anyway.

As I said in my post, that is the only Arkonik that I know I've ever seen. It looked good. That's all I know. But then... it was at the shop!

1965 IIa SWB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat