Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 30th, 2015, 08:06 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Arkonik Operations Review

At the behest of Andy Hayes (CEO of Arkonik) three forum members – Craig J (Jonesy), Jason L (nathanwind) & John E (Phoenix37) traveled to the UK. Our goal was to objectively and independently review Arkonik’s operations, meet the team, gather information, and report our findings….all in an effort to assist informing forum members and the general public of the inner workings of the Arkonik organization and the vehicles that they are selling for importation into the USA.

We traveled there with a few preconceived convictions, but also with the goal to keep an objective and open mind to review the rebuilding process and assess the operations against the highest of standards. Our first impressions of the operations were extremely encouraging, the facility is quite large…and with over 30 people employed by the company it is quite an extensive outfit. Immediately, we were given complete unhindered and total access to each and every facet of the company, employees, vehicles, and premises…and enjoyed this continued unconditional access for the entire duration of our week-long visit.

Right off the bat we were eager to see the vehicles, and on the first day were met with four examples that were currently in road test/QA prior to shipment (a process that takes about 500-miles and a couple of weeks to complete), as well as a number of other Defenders in various “stages” of tear down & build-up. The vehicles (all destined for the US market) in this specific test/QA status were as follows:
- An Epsom Green 110 with 3.5l V8
- An “Audi” white 90 with 3.5l V8
- A Willow Green 90 with 3.5l V8
- Their own “Arkonik” model 90 with 3.5l V8 (built by the team, not to customer spec but their own)

We were able to actually drive the Epsom Green 110 about 90 or so miles over the course of a day, around some local “A” & “B” roads (essentially the UK version of secondary & tertiary roads). The 110 performed quite well, and we even managed to hit what some would call gale force rain and wind on the drive. While we were anticipating some excess water ingress during these inclement weather conditions (since we know that essentially all Defenders “leak”), we only noticed one or two small points of water coming in around the door tops and the bottom seals. The vehicle itself was quite impressive, both in fit and trim and also performance – we all noticed that the freshly rebuilt 3.5l V8 it had under the hood was stronger and perkier than any we have experienced stateside.

This “experience” of a 3.5l V8 actually putting a smile on our faces (since it can be a notoriously underpowered V8 based on what we had been used to), caused us to immediately seek out their master engine rebuilder that was there on staff for some sort of explanation as to the cause of the improvement in this otherwise anemic motor. We were informed there was no ‘magic bullet’ per se, as they use standard factory parts in their 3.5 rebuilds. No upgraded or performance camshaft, no high compression pistons, or any other significantly upgraded parts other than a Weber carb (which, to be honest was refreshing to hear…as adding in high performance parts in an otherwise stock motor can have consequences such as overheating/etc). The reality was that the engines simply all go through an extensive rebuild, and brought back to new by the team - it would seem their “touch” on things, which comes with DECADES of experience was all it needed. Keep in mind that their staff has been working on these motors since they were NEW back in the 1980s (whereas many mechanics here in the states have not had such a luxury since the steady flow has only started to come in recent years with the import of 25+ year old vehicles into the USA).

While we were certainly impressed by all of the vehicles, we did identify some areas where Arkonik could improve during the build process, as well as in the QA process – catching some items that would be obviously “wrong” from an ‘Enthusiast’ perspective – but not so noticeable if you were not a Land Rover aficionado. For example, most casual observers wouldn’t notice that the wing seams are painted – rather than pull them all apart down to individual panels, Arkonik has been painting them whole (presumably to get a cleaner “look” with no obvious seams). So, we gave feedback from a technical perspective to change their current approach, as well as a few other areas that we believe would make their finished product even that much better.

Here are some examples of the type of corrective items that we helped them with in the area of improvements, in each instance of ALL items we identified – Arkonik advised they are taking corrective actions against the issues immediately:
- Disassemble ALL panels completely before paint (as mentioned above)....i.e. tub, front wings, seatbox, bulkhead, etc...and paint each panel SEPARATELY prior to reassembly.
- Carpet is glued down in all horizontal areas (such as footwells) – it should be removable.
- Breather tubes were located on the back of rocker covers, not firewall, with no bend or hook in them – all
were changed and will be relocated into the correct factory locations.
- Crimped & spaded electrical connections should be marine grade quality with heat shrink tubing
- Some bolts were incorrect sized (too long), and need to be sized correctly for all applications (including
on the driveshaft flanges).
- Differentials should be removed completely from axle tubes prior to paint.
- Currently they are using band new Td5-style doors for their builds, we urged them to consider switching to a galvy frame Td5 door (as there are some domestic manufacturers in the UK that are offering this option), or consider upgrading to the Puma-style doors that likewise already have the galvy frames as standard in order to avoid any potential corrosion/rust issues from the internal steel frames.

While we felt in most cases we were a little nitpicky, a lot of the bigger stuff is sorted out and is done very well:
- Breakdown of the vehicles is all done in-house.
- All Paint work & Prep work is done in-house (with their own paint booth & high-tech paint mixing room).
- Engine rebuilds are all done in-house (again by some seriously qualified individuals).
- Trim work and fitting is all done in-house.
- Bulkhead repairs and finishing is done in-house.
- Supply chain for donor vehicles…they had a good 20-25+ original vehicles already on-site, and based on our discussions even more than that already purchased throughout the surrounding areas and the European Union waiting to make their way back to Arkonik for future builds.
- Extremely competent staff, very well organized, clean shop with separate dedicated areas (as mentioned in the above bullet points) for initial tear down, mechanical/engine build areas, body prep areas, paint work & mixing, interior & trim work, QA, showroom, mini-parts department, and of course sales/accounting/general offices/etc.
- Whereas, Gearboxes are outsourced as is frame treatment – all done to very high standards.

An important aspect that needs to be pointed out is that none of us identified glaring misses or large areas of concern – such as the forum may have seen in the past from older Arkonik builds, or other forum vendors of late.

Here are some extremely positive items that we observed:
- Roughly 25 people are involved in the following areas:
o Teardown and chassis prep
o Engine rebuild
o Drivetrain refit to chassis
o Paint prep and bodywork
o Painting
o Trim fitting and final assembly (interior fitting, seats, hardware, electrical, door/roof fitting etc.)
o Quality Assurance and road test
o Final QA and vehicle prep for shipping
- Together with support staff:
o Management
o Sales
o Service
o Customer Support
o Finance/Admin
o Supply Chain
o Operational Management (NOTE: the current operations manager for Arkonik is an ex-McLaren Automotive executive of 12 years, before that had been with Honda for 10+ years, and also was a previous Land Rover employee…he was brought onboard within the last 6 months to insure the highest quality control).
- Arkonik offers all buyers a comprehensive 6-month bumper-to-bumper warranty.
- Customer Support and service is white glove door-to-door, with covered transport service from the port of entry, literally to the door of the customer.
- We observed that in many cases Arkonik will continue to support (at their cost and discretion) all of their trucks even AFTER the warranty expires.
- Arkonik will fly technicians to the USA to support warranties and has done so twice to rectify issues before at the request of owners.
- All doors used are new OEM equipment fitted to each vehicle, in many aspects of the rebuild NEW OEM parts are used instead of the ones from the donor (panels, doors, bullkheads, etc…).
- Some of the rebuilds only the frame and engine are kept from the donor – parts assessed not being up to quality desired for their operations are NOT reused on their builds.
- OEM parts are used when quality is required (ie new door hinges, latches, etc) and other aftermarket parts (Bearmach, Britpart etc) are used where quality is on par with OEM and price means it is more cost effective (ie wiper arms).
- Attention to detail and the knowledge of staff is outstanding.
- All personnel are passionate, enthusiastic and very knowledgeable about Land Rovers.
- All personnel are focused on customer satisfaction and support – making the vehicles special.

What we observed was nothing but top notch, and while Arkonik is hampered somewhat by what they can bring in due to current CBP and EPA regulations the vehicles are built to the best quality they can. What we observed may not be our cup of tea from an ‘enthusiast’ perspective, but the vehicles are built to a higher standard and while we would like to see panels not covered in filler with pop rivets,spot welds etc…the customers for these trucks tend to want a flawless finish. Along these lines, based on our feedback and input it is very likely that Arkonik may be offering an “Enthusiast Line” in their vehicle options very soon, that will cater more towards the liking of those of us devoted to the inherent imperfections of the Defender…leaving intact the spot-welds, ripples, and other such “blemishes” that appear on even the new genuine factory body panels…basic steel wheels…and other such simplistic options that make a “Defender” a “Defender” (at least in the eyes of the purist).

In conclusion, we found their operations reflect the quality, support and service we would like to see in a truck that we would want built. While there is still room for improvement, as always in any operation, the staff and the company as a whole are prepared to continue to build bespoke vehicles to high standards for customers primarily in the USA who demand nothing but the best. Also, they were more than willing to hear what we had to say, incorporate those changes into their process, and ultimately will present an even better finished product that will help these Defenders live another 25 years (and weather it better than they did the first 25). But more importantly, they *understood* what we had to say, the changes we are in the process of outlining, and agreed that they would be beneficial to their company, their product, and their customers.

We would like to thank the Arkonik team and Andy Hayes for the opportunity to come to the UK and review their operations, and for hosting us with some recreational events as well. We’d also like to encourage any members of the board that want to contact us directly with any questions, inquiries, or the like to please feel free…we’d be more than happy to share our experience directly with any interested parties as well.
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2015, 08:25 AM
kimberly
kimberly
1957 LR S1 88"

Registry
Thanks for the write up Jonesy! and thanks to you, John, and Lav for putting eyes on the company!
Old November 30th, 2015, 08:30 AM
speedpin
Adam
1985 130 Gen IV

Registry
Craig, Thanks for the post! Good to get an "insiders/buyers" perspective and not just the blind postings from this side of the pond.
Thanks guys.
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2015, 12:53 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Thanks guys... I appreciate the fact you recognize we went over there to provide everyone here an unbiased opinion of their operation. We have no dog in this fight. Those of you that know me personally know I spend enough of my life in an aluminum tube for work that a plane ticket is certainly not enough incentive to solicit an endorsement of any kind. Not to mention a week away from family/work obligations etc.

Just trying to call it like we see it. Im personally disappointed to read some of the hostile comments/statements on the other thread directed towards long time board members who are merely trying to provide you the benefit of what we observed. Sad to see this board headed down the Dweb path...
Old November 30th, 2015, 01:11 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Craig / Jason / John - thanks for taking the time out of your personal and professional schedules to make this trip and ensuing write-up happen. Appreciate the sacrifice and information provided on behalf of the community.
Old November 30th, 2015, 01:16 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I was obviously one of the three that went over to the UK, and likewise volunteered to take a hiatus from my family, job, kids, and day-to-day life in order to give an honest assessment of their operation for the benefit of the U.S. Defender community as we recapped in our statement above.

To understand Arkonik I think you need to look past just Andy even though it's his "baby". But it's also important to understand that Andy is very attached & personally involved in both the company that he created as well as the people that he employs - in fact many of the folks that work for him have known Andy for decades, or in some cases their entire lives. Because of this I'm sure that Andy may have come across as a little strong initially...but who wouldn't? Do they need to improve upon a few things? Sure they do...but mostly from what I witnessed mainly the small technical details - ie the "little things" that will drive an enthusiast batty (as we've already witnessed over in the other thread)...but to be honest their target customer (who is admittedly a different clientele than the enthusiast) would likely not even give a second look to. I've provided them with direct feedback as well regarding these items and my suggestion(s) for changes/tweaks.

But I was also somewhat surprised to discover a few things as well, namely the "6-month bumper to bumper warranty" that goes with every build they do - I had no idea such a service was being offered by them to their clients. And I'm happy to see that he is doing the right thing and addressing head-on any customer issues that do arise, and hope that he continues to do so with an "above and beyond" approach - after all, customer satisfaction is the name of the game in ANY business.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find that he was doing essentially everything in-house...teardown, motor work, prep work, (obviously) build-ups, interior trim, A/C, their own mini-parts department, paint mixing & paint work, etc. Based on prior experience, it seems like MANY shops outsource things such as motor work and paint work, which can leave room for issues and/or things out of your control. With Arkonik this all done in-house, and with some seriously talented individuals may I add.

As well as it seems they've been painted with a broad brush of builds in the "$100K-$150K range"...which is not the case either from what I witnessed - the builds to date seem to be more in the $60-70Kish range (which *includes* transport, RoRo shipping, customs duties, import fees, delivery to the customer door in the States, and so on). Is that still quite a chunk of change? You bet...but anyone that turns wrenches on these vehicles themselves knows how quickly the parts cost alone can add up, and I've got overly detailed spreadsheets on all of my Rovers to prove it ....and mine aren't even rebuilds/restorations. Heck, look at Wolf Fabrications 110 build...I'm sure he had $70K+ in parts alone on that truck.

Anyone that would like to chat or discuss our experience in more detail, feel free to call/email/etc myself or Craig & John anytime - I'd be more than happy to spend time talking with folks about our visit and assessment.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old November 30th, 2015, 01:37 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Nice write up guys, well said. I also had the pleasure of meeting most of Andy's employees and enjoyed talking with them. I have nothing but good things to say from my experience with Andy and his shop.
Old November 30th, 2015, 03:56 PM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

This is why I love this forum . You guys rock. Good info.
Old November 30th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Awesome. Every vendor/importer should have a profile like this.

Also glad to know you didn't find any chemical weapons...

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old November 30th, 2015, 04:47 PM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Great write up / review! Thanks for taking the time to give an important data point in this discussion.

Out of curiosity, did anyone get a feel for how long most of these employees had worked for Arkonik? Having been involved with that mess at ULC, turnover of staff was a telling stat when it came to quality. Not to mention the canary in the coal mind for problems at the company itself. Granted Andy would have access to a number of mechanics with vast Defender experience, so training and staffing would be less of a distraction. Andy may have a commitment to excellence, but if its not shared by everyone in the organization it will eventually catch up with some of the restorations.
Old November 30th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Great leg work guys! And well written! ( should I be surprised at Jonesey's command of the King's English!) well thought out, and clearly not written over a pint!
Old November 30th, 2015, 05:06 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Is that still quite a chunk of change? You bet...but anyone that turns wrenches on these vehicles themselves knows how quickly the parts cost alone can add up, and I've got overly detailed spreadsheets on all of my Rovers to prove it ....and mine aren't even rebuilds/restorations.
These spreadsheets are very helpful, and very depressing.
Old November 30th, 2015, 05:09 PM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
Great write up, thx for taking the time out of your schedules for the community!

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway
Old November 30th, 2015, 05:10 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverenvy View Post
Great write up / review! Thanks for taking the time to give an important data point in this discussion.

Out of curiosity, did anyone get a feel for how long most of these employees had worked for Arkonik? Having been involved with that mess at ULC, turnover of staff was a telling stat when it came to quality. Not to mention the canary in the coal mind for problems at the company itself. Granted Andy would have access to a number of mechanics with vast Defender experience, so training and staffing would be less of a distraction. Andy may have a commitment to excellence, but if its not shared by everyone in the organization it will eventually catch up with some of the restorations.
Its a good question Michael and one were also keen to know the answer to.. If you see Jasons follow up above he noted that many of these guys have been with him for years and known him for longer... I really liked his guys..They would fit in well with anyone that actually uses these trucks as they were intended. The parking lot is full of hard core trail rigs and hybrids... His guys eat, sleep and breathe rovers and wheel them hard on the weekends.. My kind of folks.
Old November 30th, 2015, 05:13 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Good write up…so would you drop 75k with these guy's...
Old November 30th, 2015, 05:15 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
So, where did all the crappy trucks that they have done come from? Just the unfortunate builds that were done on Wednesdays?

Not trying to witch hunt, but we do know there's junk out there from them too.
Old November 30th, 2015, 05:17 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Frank I have a simple philosophy to my rovers... They might look like crap but they go like hell and most rovers would have a hard time keeping up with me on or offroad...

Thats kind of the opposite of the trucks they build.. That said if i was in the market for a shiny tricked out defender i wouldnt hesitate to order one from them... I know first and foremost that when i send my money Ill receive a legal truck in the time frame I'm given and that it seems has been more than half the battle with alot of the shops we've seen crash and burn recently.
Old November 30th, 2015, 05:32 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN38 View Post
So, where did all the crappy trucks that they have done come from? Just the unfortunate builds that were done on Wednesdays?

Not trying to witch hunt, but we do know there's junk out there from them too.
Fair question Scott and one we all wanted to know the answer to. We all spent a good deal of time doing recon before going over there. I personally spent hours on the phone and email speaking to folks with first hand knowledge of their vehicles.

The feedback i received was that the trucks were clean, looked great but lacked quality parts and drivetrains.. Re use of old doors etc. There has no doubt been an evolution and they are now using all new doors, doing engine rebuilds in house and using more OEM parts.

As was said above the thing i was most impressed by was the bringing in a guy with 12 plus years at McClaren Automotive group (and if you know anything about McClaren its a very small team building a super car) to oversee each and every build.. He took all of our notes and comments seriously and has already made changes to their process in the short time he has been there.
Old November 30th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I would like to see you three go to a US based shop and do a comparison of the work. I'm pretty confident that the end product of one built here will be much better since customs wouldn't be a concern. That way the vehicle won't end up with a carburetted V8 or Ribbed roof.
Old November 30th, 2015, 06:08 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I would like to see you three go to a US based shop and do a comparison of the work. I'm pretty confident that the end product of one built here will be much better since customs wouldn't be a concern. That way the vehicle won't end up with a carburetted V8 or Ribbed roof.
Here's the thing...how many restoration shops (not just service, but full resto) can you name on BOTH sides of the pond? I bet you can barely fill up one-hand, that's the exercise I went through so we're talking limited options here regardless. Sure there are a lot of shops that will turn a wrench on a Rover/Defender...but there's not many folks out there doing a full tear-down & resto.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat