Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 30th, 2015, 08:13 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
So since y'all dragged me into this…I'll ask my question. Where are all the photos of the shop and all?
Thinking there will be a professionally produced infomercial released in short time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2015, 08:15 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Thinking there will be a professionally produced infomercial released in short time.
They should get the guy who does the Icon ones. Those are awesome.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old November 30th, 2015, 08:16 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

They were specifically not to disclose pics of the shop...ECR has spies...lol..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
I'm still not sure why I always get dragged into all these conversations, but if you wanna see my shop it is here:
You guys get dragged into this because you set the bar and every restoration shop thinks they will be the next ECR.

I'm really glad you chimed in about water leaks.
Old November 30th, 2015, 08:19 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
I think that regardless of who paid for it ..these 3 guys have been a staple in this community and I'll bet my last dollar that their opinions and thoughts on arkonic can't be bought or biased..
Yeah, made it clear my opinion was they were not biased. Just wanted to clear the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
oh yeah...forgot about that..

Sorry thought the terms of the trip were common knowledge by now.

Flight and a few nights hotel were paid for by Arkonik...i paid most of my expenses and hotel for the remainder of the week. All told i spent close to 2k for the week i was over there. Not all expenses paid and certainly not my idea of a vacation. For a guy that commutes coast to coast for work free ticket and few nights hotel don't mean shit to me.. Trust me i was ready to get over there and go all John Quinones on the guy but the truth is its a legit business building blingy trucks that have no personal appeal to me but apparently there are plenty of people over here that like that kind of thing.
"Common Knowledge" and "Black and White" are two different things to someone who comes here 2 months later on a Google Search, hence why I asked. Glad you guys did it, and it was a good group they (Arkonik) picked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 30th, 2015, 08:32 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Actually to be honest, I did not expect to find an operation on the level of what we saw. I was expecting to see maybe a little bit more of a primative facility, outsourcing of motor work & paintwork, and not nearly the organization or infrastructure that we witnessed. Not that there would be anything really wrong with the aforementioned, as some of the best mom & pop shops churn out great work.
Sounds like they
have either turned around their operation or put up
a good front. If
you do math of average UK salary for 30 guys they only
need to sell 8 $150k vehicles to cover that. Obviously more
expenses exist so they'd have to do more business to cover

shop, taxes, etc. Remember
Urban Land Cruisers? I
can't predict what will happen, nobody
knows, but your guys overall review was
somewhat similar to how I described ULC after they

did work for me. About a year later
I regretted having recommended them because they
couldn't
keep it together. Time and any future disgruntled buyers' posts will tell.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old November 30th, 2015, 08:43 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Anyway. Thanks for the review. Are they planning any US branch of their business? The whole concept of taking you guys out there is kind of neat when you think about how much money real companies spend of PR and advertising. They seem serious. But I think the reaction in the other thread is mostly from all everybody knows of them are their past issues. So it's natural for the response to be skeptical.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old November 30th, 2015, 08:56 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
To be perfectly honest with you all skeptical is what we (all 3) were, and not to mention unbiased and objective. We made it infinitely clear that while Andy was paying for our flights, plus hotels he is not "buying an endorsement". Like John said, we footed a lot of the expense ourselves.

Some of you have asked if I would buy one of their trucks - the answer is absolutely not, not because of quality of the work - just because I would never spend that amount of money on a Defender. BUT, if you ask if I would be happy to endorse their work and feel like they do a great job...then unequivocally it is a YES...for all the reasons we have all stated.

Frankly, I feel as if my integrity is still in good shape after the write up and our experience. My liver, well that is another story for the campfire...remember to ask ... we do have some good stories.

And thanks to those who have given the three of us a thumbs up.
Old November 30th, 2015, 08:56 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Reckon I can name at least Five Rover resto facilities in New England, and a bunch more that focus on mechanical first then bodywork as necessary.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 30th, 2015, 09:07 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
So since y'all dragged me into this…I'll ask my question.

Where are all the photos of the shop and all?
Pics...pretty much some quick panos I took around various parts of the shop, and a couple of the outside of the building/yard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	+shop.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	135986   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3565.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	135987  

Name:	IMG_3570.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	135988   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3610.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	135989  

Name:	IMG_9699.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	135990   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9700.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	135991  

Name:	IMG_9702.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	135992   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9712.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	135994  

Name:	IMG_9707.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	135997   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9708.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	135998  

Name:	IMG_9704.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	135999   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9709.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	136000  

Name:	IMG_9710.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	136001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9706.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	136002  

Name:	IMG_9731.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	136003  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old November 30th, 2015, 09:18 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Pics...pretty much some quick panos I took around various parts of the shop, and a couple of the outside of the building/yard.

Pics always prove it happened.

Lets hope these guys stay around longer than British Bulldog. (See how many of you old farts get that reference).

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old November 30th, 2015, 09:20 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Sounds like they have either turned around their operation or put up a good front. If you do math of average UK salary for 30 guys they only need to sell 8 $150k vehicles to cover that. Obviously more expenses exist so they'd have to do more business to cover
shop, taxes, etc. Remember Urban Land Cruisers? I can't predict what will happen, nobody
knows, but your guys overall review was somewhat similar to how I described ULC after they
did work for me. About a year later I regretted having recommended them because they
couldn't keep it together. Time and any future disgruntled buyers' posts will tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Anyway. Thanks for the review. Are they planning any US branch of their business? The whole concept of taking you guys out there is kind of neat when you think about how much money real companies spend of PR and advertising. They seem serious. But I think the reaction in the other thread is mostly from all everybody knows of them are their past issues. So it's natural for the response to be skeptical.

Matthew I'm with you...and just to make sure I'm clear, the absolute most important thing here to be frank - is making sure the U.S. customers are treated properly, and get a proper product.

I had not seen ULC's operation, but I'm not sure he was as organized and professional as what we saw (again just guessing, and from what I heard). Also, the main difference I would bet are the people that ULC employed - I would doubt they had any folks on staff as committed to Rovers as some of the people we spoke with. Besides the fact that a fair share of these guys actually drive Rovers to work, they had a bunch that would go out and go wheeling/etc. They also had one guy on staff (that I kept calling the 'Rainman of Rovers' : ) that would take the parts manual home on the weekend to read it...READ IT!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old November 30th, 2015, 09:33 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
What really turned me off in the other thread was Andy himself. He made a lot of exaggerated claims and when confronted refused to admit it. When directly asked about issues with the trucks, he danced around the subject. He came across as a typical used car salesman. Any and all BS to get a sale and make you happy. Hopefully he is just the problem and not a representation of the way the company is operated.

I'm with Charles though. The proof is in the pudding. Let's see some happy owners. All I've seen are unhappy ones.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 30th, 2015, 09:38 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Here is my final take away thought on this whole thing... A number of you have said its clever of Andy to bring us over in the hopes that we would validate his operation and he would generate more business because of it... I don't think thats his angle and if it was I think he will be disappointed. his customers are not on this forum.

By and large the trucks he builds don't appeal to those of us on this board. Im still having nightmares of seeing a little 75hp 19J with a power steering pump, huge alternator and a/c compressor bolted to it! but if you want to legally import a 1988 diesel defender thats what you're going to get.

I think the true benefit to Andy is two fold...

Firstly, he was given the benefit of having 3 hard core American (wannabe in Jonesy's case) enthusiasts picking his operation apart for a week and telling him what and how he could improve and do differently.. And i tell you it was relentless.. After the first couple days he must of thought it was a huge mistake to bring us there. This was my first time meeting and spending time with Lav and man he was a dog with a bone on some of these builds.. but that benefit is only realized if he takes the advice to heart.

And secondly and i think the most important benefit to Arkonik of our visit is that we are able to confirm that there are 30 plus people hardworking people in the south of England that you would gladly be sharing beers with after a day on the trail.

They've been demoralized by what they are reading on this board. Its got to be really hard to be passionate about these trucks and what you do only to come home at night to read that people think you are crooks and con men and your work is sub par. From what we witnessed that couldn't be further from the truth.
Old November 30th, 2015, 09:43 PM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

Quote:
Pics always prove it happened. Lets hope these guys stay around longer than British Bulldog. (See how many of you old farts get that reference).
Great point! Went to their shop before it got weird, and I think I have the '98?!? national rally tee shirt with their logo on it- I'll have to dig it up.

Well played sir.
Old November 30th, 2015, 09:43 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
What really turned me off in the other thread was Andy himself.
Agreed. Why is it that we can't stand so many of the frontmen for these shops? (ECR/Safari excluded, of course).

Either way, Lav's opinion is more than enough for me.
Old November 30th, 2015, 09:49 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I full trust Lav as well. John ehh.
Old November 30th, 2015, 09:53 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I full trust Lav as well. John ehh.
you're just pissed because you owe me dinner....two weeks and this truck still hasn't sold.

Land Rover Defender Base Sport Utility 2 Door | eBay
Old November 30th, 2015, 10:04 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
you're just pissed because you owe me dinner....two weeks and this truck still hasn't sold. Land Rover Defender Base Sport Utility 2 Door | eBay
McDonald's or kfc?
Old November 30th, 2015, 10:09 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
McDonald's or kfc?
I thought he preferred Long John Silvers?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat