Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 9th, 2015, 12:22 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Ya know he's keeping an eye on this thread....
I haven't made any comments in this thread. I reserve my opinion to myself. But I will say that everyone is entitled to express their own opinion freely.
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2015, 12:29 AM
PabloCocito
Pablo Cocito
1987 Defender Tithonus

You could build one out of parts from the LR heritage catalogue for that money...
Old May 9th, 2015, 07:37 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Paging Mr. Fancypants...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2015, 08:10 AM
alecbeard
Alec Beard
1972 Series III

We are experiencing record high prices for classic cars. Hopefully (for buyers) this bubble will burst.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/12/au...oats.html?_r=0
Old May 9th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Himalaya
Mark WS
1995 Nas, 86 D110, 97 Hummer H1

Thought I would pipe in.
Truck is priced appropriately. A complete new build is not cheap. It amuses me to see how many of you guys gripe, ridicule and complain.

Then you all chime in with "good price" on the old tired worn out units for sale on this site, when for the same money you can buy a new car.

Its very expensive to build a nearly all new truck. Those who have done so know it.

Theres a NAS 90 for sale around the corner from me. Guy has been asking 45K for it. 189K miles, not a straight panel on it. The dash has been boogered, the rear crossmember rusted out. Ohh.... good price!

Feel free to jump on me now.
Old May 9th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I would say most people would agree with you there, Mark.
Old May 9th, 2015, 09:19 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I agree with Mark... Personally, as I mentioned,if you don't ask you can't get and everything is relative... There is a reason it wasn't advertised here..... More power to him if he can get it and I'm pretty sure he will.. It is a unique vehicle and I'm sure it is well sorted, and as such there is a price to pay for that.. Actually after thinking about this truck and the heritage special edition defender90 1997 I was going to do for a customer I think I am going to give him his deposit back and get more for it than I was initially selling it for..alot more.. Besides, he wanted a soft top in yellow anyway, I think I will find him one and put him in that instead..
Old May 9th, 2015, 09:23 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
Old May 9th, 2015, 09:26 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy View Post
See... I told ya...lol...
Old May 9th, 2015, 09:30 AM
chuckc4
chuck b

To be fair, there is also the value added in building a nearly new truck. And, there is extra value added in a Himalaya. Not only is the Himalaya a sweet vehicle, but it is an upgraded vehicle, worth more than the sum of its parts. I am sure everyone gets that.

There is an old 109 around the corner from me that has been for sale for about 7 years now. It is a collection of scrap. The guy wants $12,000 for it. Bad price, still for sale.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
Thought I would pipe in.
Truck is priced appropriately. A complete new build is not cheap. It amuses me to see how many of you guys gripe, ridicule and complain.

Then you all chime in with "good price" on the old tired worn out units for sale on this site, when for the same money you can buy a new car.

Its very expensive to build a nearly all new truck. Those who have done so know it.

Theres a NAS 90 for sale around the corner from me. Guy has been asking 45K for it. 189K miles, not a straight panel on it. The dash has been boogered, the rear crossmember rusted out. Ohh.... good price!

Feel free to jump on me now.
Old May 9th, 2015, 10:03 AM
alecbeard
Alec Beard
1972 Series III

You're missing the point. The price is appropriate. It costs a lot to build. I would charge the same amount. The point is that only the 1% can afford it. The problem is the gap between the rich and the poor. The point is that a Rover and a Bronco was once a sign of normal working class people getting dirty and banged up and now only rich people can do that. It's a work truck, not a museum piece. But I guess there's always a Discovery
Old May 9th, 2015, 10:07 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

Or work harder to earn more money.... HUE166 was a work truck and cheap when first made too...probably couldn't buy that truck for less than a million now.. But we do get the point..
Old May 9th, 2015, 10:13 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
Quote:
See... I told ya...lol...
wow nothing gets by you shaYne!
Old May 9th, 2015, 10:17 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

Hey now.. Back off there Mr fancy pants..... And it's shaYne... With a Y... As in Y is he such an a-hole..
Old May 9th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Himalaya
Mark WS
1995 Nas, 86 D110, 97 Hummer H1

Heres my prediction.
When LRNO finally gets their head out of their arse and re-introduces the Defender to NA market, it will no longer quite resemble the Defender we know. Old defenders will retain value, or to go up. The crowd who buys the new Defender, what ever that will be.... will not be interested in the old boxy style. They probably wont even know what they are.
The same was true with the FJ cruiser. I pulled up to a traffic light several times with the soft top troopy and they didnt even look over. No idea. The appreciation for cool trucks by those in the know, those who lust after and those who want to drive something that no one else has will continue forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Himalaya508.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	120273  
Old May 9th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Hey now.. Back off there Mr fancy pants..... And it's shaYne... With a Y... As in Y is he such an a-hole..
Hope that was not a question but more a confirmation Shayne

We all know WHY you are the #1 ASSHOLE

😀
Old May 9th, 2015, 11:23 AM
alecbeard
Alec Beard
1972 Series III

I, like all of you, love Rovers and would buy one of these expensive ones if I could afford it. They are beautiful machines, worth every penny. I'm just part of the disappearing middle class, bemoaning our stagnant incomes and rising expenses. The revolution is coming, Comrades.
Old May 9th, 2015, 12:04 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
There was a 30-40k mile NAS D90 that sold here a couple of months ago for $14k. There are still options for the "middle class" but it usually takes a little more effort to find the deals. Plus these days every Tom, Dick and Harry is in the flipping game so most of the "deals" go to those buying on speculation. But honestly, most without the "disposable income" to afford a regular market-rate defender should likely park their money elsewhere anyway, as the purchase price is just the entry fee to spend many more thousands of dollars maintaining it.
Old May 9th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
A couple of observations here not even relating to this example in particular.

First of all, I remember one of Bobcat110's "surfcaster" builds that was ongoing for what seemed to be a year. It was much like this (a 3-door 110 that originated from a NAS 90). Occasionally, I'd stop into the shop and though there wasn't a team of scientists toiling over it, something was always going on with it.
It did take an incredible amount of time to build. I believe Copley sold all of those for big money as well.
There will be many opinions regarding how many hours it could/would/should take to build something from the ground up, but I imagine it would take the better part of 1,000-1,200 hours (factoring in all the fuck off time that goes on and including sub-labor etc.). You're looking at roughly $100,000 in labor/shop time cost alone. I'm not saying it's a sound investment at all, but at the end of the day a ground-up build takes a ridiculous commitment (capitol, time, patience). I know there are many who could build a Defender from the axles up in a weekend (I've seen the time lapse videos too), but it's different with a custom-spec build where parts don't directly bolt up and you're adding amenities.

Okay, so now that we've established the cost (not value mind, you but cost) is north of $100,000, lets talk about value. There is a certain group of folks out there that simply don't have the time to embark on a custom build and deal with talking to shops for a year. These are the same folks who buy the new $5MM spec. house rather than build their own dream home. They are the same folks who buy a new Hinckley rather than scour the country for a deal. Why do you think you see newly ordered/delivered Ferraris selling for 25% over invoice from flippers? (they are here NOW and that means something).

(Note, "they" is not this guy, not that there is anything wrong with being "they"). A $145,000 Defender that is truly turn-key represents value to them because their time is measured by the minute and would be wasted scouring the forums for the right deal. Also, these folks have more toys than just Defenders. So, if you have three homes in different areas each with cars/toys and the like, as well as maybe a boat, or two or three, can you start to imagine the amount of time it takes to manage and care for all that shit?

It's hard for most to rationalize because most have one home, one or two cars and Defenders is one of under five hobbies.

To somebody who's free time is limited and precious and earning 7-figures, spending $25, $50, or $100,000 over what most here would consider "good value" for a Defender is actually a bargain. I'm not saying they don't care about money, it's actually the opposite, but they penciled out the math and their time is simply worth more. Again, this person is NOT me, but you've got your head in the sand if you think they don't exist in large numbers.

I always liken Defenders to boats. You could spend $20,000 on a 40' boat and you could spend over a million on a 40' boat....and everything in between.

This particular example is geared to a very narrow audience and there is a 99.8% chance that this truck will be on one of the islands. The season is beginning and the demand for everything on ACK and MV is off the charts again.

(as an aside, the one good thing about the recession years is the fact that getting your needs met on ACK was a heck of a lot easier and cheaper)
Old May 9th, 2015, 07:06 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
I always liken Defenders to boats. You could spend $20,000 on a 40' boat and you could spend over a million on a 40' boat....and everything in between.
Great post Jackie - hit the nail on the head.

Funny about the boat comment. The dude at West Marine asked me what boat I had as I have been in a lot (buying wiring supplies). Nope just an old Land Rover.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat