Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 8th, 2015, 01:38 PM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

Jason -

Tell us about your collection!

It's absolutely true that anything that could be regarded as "collectible" has gone through the roof... to the point that very few can enjoy the experience anymore. This is true of all kinds of cars: only three years ago, you could pick up a 964 in great shape in the mid-$teens and the rarest for under $50k. Now those cars sell within hours of being posted on rennlist for two and three times those figures. When I had cable and watched the Barrett Jackson auctions, I watched the muscle car market skyrocket in the course of just a couple of years in factors measured in the tens of thousands. And who would have thought you could top $60k for a Grand Wagoneer?!

One fun thing to do when you have nothing else going on: log into archive.org and check out some of the listings from 5 and 10 years ago. Will it slow down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2015, 01:40 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecbeard View Post
I understand the concept of supply and demand, and I understand that these vehicles cost a lot to build, but it's not a good thing for the 99% of us who aren't rich. Those "inflated" prices trickle down. The problem is that there's no cheap option anymore (except for buying a Disco, of course.) Look at a Jeep. You can build a $100k Jeep that's worth every penny, but you can also find a jeep for $1k that drives and stops and everything else. But with Defenders we're at the point where you can't find one for under $20k, which makes it a Ferrari-type collectors item rather than a truck you want to get dirty. That's all I'm saying.
$1k for a Jeep? Maybe for an XJ parts truck. And you can get a Defender for under $20k although a UK 90.

But I know what you mean. Searching CL I noticed CJ's are inexpensive. I haven't driven CJ in decades but a TJ I drove a few years ago didn't hold a candle to my NAS90. I just was looking at a very nicely done CJ Scrambler and it looked like a golf cart compared to a Defender. The frames are half the size and the interior seem really small although I do like the flat metal dash a lot. The 285's on it looked like 35's from a distance.

LR Series and CJ's are probably a closer match in price but I would guess restore costs on a Series would easily pass a CJ any day of the week.
Old May 8th, 2015, 01:44 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I will say I am enjoying the values going up or at least watching them go up but I can see it sucking for new people. When I bought my truck it had 46k on it and I paid 29 for it. At the time I laughed and thought I am literally paying what the car cost new when it was 13 years old. For 29k it still seemed reasonable to buy and use as a daily driver. Now with the prices so high I doubt people are buying them to just use.

As for the car market in general, last May I was offered a 76 911 turbo for 65k. It needed 20 to 25k in work. At the time I thought maybe when I was done I could sell it for 115. It seemed to risky for me. Another guy bought it, did the work and one week after completion sold it for 215k.

The market is nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2015, 01:56 PM
alecbeard
Alec Beard
1972 Series III

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
LR Series and CJ's are probably a closer match in price but I would guess restore costs on a Series would easily pass a CJ any day of the week.
There are still some bargains out there, but some vehicles are untouchable. The Defender is on top. Next comes the early Broncos. Those skyrocketed in the last 5 or 10 years. Right behind them is the Toyota Landcruiser FJ40. The Series Rover is up there too.

CJs are still a pretty good value. Jeeps aren't considered rare or exotic here in America. You can find one for pretty cheap and swap out the axles and do all kinds of work before you get to $20k. But if you're going to do all that swapping, you may as well buy an early YJ Wrangler for at most $3k and build that up.

One off-road vehicle which is mostly still off the radar is the International Scout. There are nice ones that cost a lot, but you find some unmodified on Craigslist for cheap. Wagoneers and early Cherokees can also be found for pretty cheap. They're pretty solid trucks.
Old May 8th, 2015, 02:22 PM
jruti
Jon Ruti
'94 D-90, #20

Registry
We need a new sticky up entitled "ECON 101." Nothing insane about Copley's pricing. What's insane is basing part of your economic analysis on "fairness."
Old May 8th, 2015, 02:26 PM
alecbeard
Alec Beard
1972 Series III

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruti View Post
We need a new sticky up entitled "ECON 101." Nothing insane about Copley's pricing. What's insane is basing part of your economic analysis on "fairness."
I wasn't trying to start anything. Just looking for someone to say, "Yeah man, I hear you, shit's too expensive. Back in my day, blah blah blah" You know, a little camaraderie. I never said anything about fairness. I don't begrudge anyone money for their hard work. I was just bitching about how expensive things are. What, you don't ever do that?
Old May 8th, 2015, 02:27 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

These threads pop up from time to time when Copley lists expensive trucks. Nothing new.
Old May 8th, 2015, 02:36 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1st View Post
I have a lot of collectible cars. I love cars. Most I bought 2009-2011. I got them all cheap compared to what I can sell them for now.

Everything is more expensive now than it was 5 years ago.
I loved the days when cash was king and although interest rates to borrow had dropped substantially by 2011/2012, prices hadn't yet adjusted upward.
Old May 8th, 2015, 02:59 PM
jason1st
Jason Crandall
2006 LR3 2012 SC 1983 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I loved the days when cash was king and although interest rates to borrow had dropped substantially by 2011/2012, prices hadn't yet adjusted upward.
Me too. My biggest problem now is I don't want to buy anything because I think it's all too expensive. I miss everything being cheap. It goes in cycles. It'll be back. I think it's gonna be few years though.
Old May 8th, 2015, 04:35 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
There are still some bargains out there, but some vehicles are untouchable. The Defender is on top. Next comes the early Broncos. Those skyrocketed in the last 5 or 10 years. Right behind them is the Toyota Landcruiser FJ40. The Series Rover is up there too. CJs are still a pretty good value. Jeeps aren't considered rare or exotic here in America. You can find one for pretty cheap and swap out the axles and do all kinds of work before you get to $20k. But if you're going to do all that swapping, you may as well buy an early YJ Wrangler for at most $3k and build that up. One off-road vehicle which is mostly still off the radar is the International Scout. There are nice ones that cost a lot, but you find some unmodified on Craigslist for cheap. Wagoneers and early Cherokees can also be found for pretty cheap. They're pretty solid trucks.
Agree - and all of them are glorified tractors! I grew up with FSJ Cherokee and Wagy's and early Broncos. They were plow vehicles and used for work and off road.

Funny you mentioned the Scout. That was my favorite of the 4x4 wagons back then - a Scout II with Centerlines and BFG AT's and of course CiBie lights! I also noticed they are not much money. But most are rusted pretty heavily. Sounds like IH power plant and drivetrains on then are bulletproof. I have a secret want for a IH Scout II with diesel power (Ford 6.9?)
Old May 8th, 2015, 04:55 PM
alecbeard
Alec Beard
1972 Series III

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Agree - and all of them are glorified tractors! I grew up with FSJ Cherokee and Wagy's and early Broncos. They were plow vehicles and used for work and off road.

Funny you mentioned the Scout. That was my favorite of the 4x4 wagons back then - a Scout II with Centerlines and BFG AT's and of course CiBie lights! I also noticed they are not much money. But most are rusted pretty heavily. Sounds like IH power plant and drivetrains on then are bulletproof. I have a secret want for a IH Scout II with diesel power (Ford 6.9?)
Exactly. Broncos were glorified tractors.

I've been looking recently at the early Scouts. http://imganuncios.mitula.net/1971_i...7691557369.jpg Looks kind of like a Bronco. Nice and boxy. Could make a pretty nice and rare rig.
Old May 8th, 2015, 05:20 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

My Dad has an old 76 scout terra. He drives the shit out of it. It was his work truck when he was logging back in the 90's Some of the skid paths he drove that thing down to get to the forestry sale they would be cutting were marginally passable by the loader but he could get that dam scout back there somehow..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 8th, 2015, 05:47 PM
xjahx
JAH
'93 NAS 110, '94 NAS ST, '85 90 PU

Registry
Nantucket is 14miles long, 3.5miles wide, max speed 45mph but only if headed to Siasconset. 13 feet of max elevation above sea level. Only curves are on way to Mad. 25mph in to town and out to most southern beaches and the Brewery. I imagine that only then has this vehicle seen the rear seats used to capacity.

The question of liability is an interesting topic. The attorneys would cast a wide net (custom garage, Copley, driver) and see where the shit sticks.

Accidents do happen on the islands, MVY and ACK. We lose about 1-3 people on average per year 2/2 primarily mopeds.
Old May 8th, 2015, 06:18 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
The builder of the vehicle can not control its destination or use. It could be in South Beach FL tomorrow or Aspen the following week.
Old May 8th, 2015, 06:27 PM
xjahx
JAH
'93 NAS 110, '94 NAS ST, '85 90 PU

Registry
I agree, Down Shift. I was just commenting on the islands, with their disproportionate number of these custom rigs and my experience having lived on them for 4 years.

The vehicles are obviously inspected by the state (most states) and licensed for road use across the US.
Old May 8th, 2015, 08:53 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Quote:
I wasn't trying to start anything. Just looking for someone to say, "Yeah man, I hear you, shit's too expensive. Back in my day, blah blah blah" You know, a little camaraderie. I never said anything about fairness. I don't begrudge anyone money for their hard work. I was just bitching about how expensive things are. What, you don't ever do that?
Yeah man, I hear you, Shit's way too expensive!

Park some cash and wait for the current bubble to burst.... Thankfully for purists, people are fickle! Especially the monied lot.

There seems to be a lot of potential risk selling a 90 rebuilt into a 110. I am sure any ambulance chaser would love a case where one of those was involved in an accident and there was an injury. I imagine the parties involved in building and selling are all well insured and insulated from liability as best they can be.

Honestly, you can be bankrupted in this country if someone trips on their own shoelaces while slurping down the last bit of ICEE in their cup if the fall on your property. How many NAS 90's have been rebuilt and had their titles knowingly scrubbed squeaky clean? I Imagine there is liability there, if you can follow the trail.
Old May 8th, 2015, 09:05 PM
alecbeard
Alec Beard
1972 Series III

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc4 View Post
Yeah man, I hear you, Shit's way too expensive!

Park some cash and wait for the current bubble to burst.... Thankfully for purists, people are fickle! Especially the monied lot.

There seems to be a lot of potential risk selling a 90 rebuilt into a 110. I am sure any ambulance chaser would love a case where one of those was involved in an accident and there was an injury. I imagine the parties involved in building and selling are all well insured and insulated from liability as best they can be.

Honestly, you can be bankrupted in this country if someone trips on their own shoelaces while slurping down the last bit of ICEE in their cup if the fall on your property. How many NAS 90's have been rebuilt and had their titles knowingly scrubbed squeaky clean? I Imagine there is liability there, if you can follow the trail.
Thanks man!

Yeah, I never thought about the modification angle. I try to stay away from any missing or complicated titles.
Old May 8th, 2015, 09:37 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy View Post
those people are crazy
That's too funny!
Old May 8th, 2015, 09:46 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

sounds about right.......

try building one....
Old May 8th, 2015, 11:28 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
That's too funny!
Ya know he's keeping an eye on this thread....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat