Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 8th, 2015, 10:15 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhelemt View Post
They cost what they cost. Personally I wouldn't put any real money into a ROW, or a salvaged NAS. Low end builds okay but I honestly think for resale a clean no questions truck is the safest way to go.
Curious why you think that?

I had an NAS 90 and felt I was going down the path of modifying it too much. IMO, the NAS vehicles should be stock or close to stock and built with bolt on items.

If you want a diesel, 3 door with semi-custom axles (as I did) then build a UK or ROW truck.

------ Follow up post added May 8th, 2015 10:16 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
From what I recall they'd tried that before and they just didn't move off the lot.
Crazy - you could get a build to look just like that '97 but with a much better engine and probably cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2015, 10:19 AM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

If you saw the budget on one of these and how many man hours and $ in parts, $150k doesn't seem so unreasonable. I'm on my 6th Defender restoration now and the $ and time disappear real fast on these projects. These are for the guy thats doing well financially and has always wanted one of these but doesn't have the time or skill set to build one
Old May 8th, 2015, 10:24 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
If you don't ask....you can't get... The thing about an asking price is that you can always come down, and price is relative...if someone has millions that price is like $10,000 to us.. What about ferraris that sell for like 2.5 millions dollars, you can't even drive those things, but people do.. And besides, eBay is more of a nation...nay...worldwide marketing tool that a selling tool..
And it is asset that is still worth at least something at the end of the day. The type of person that will buy this spends just as much on entertainment. I heard of a recent sports day trifecta: Rangers game in NY then jet to TN for the Derby then jet to NV for the fight. I would guess that day alone was half the cost of this build and could probably be more depending the late night spend in Las Vegas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Bargain when you consider that's a 1997 and Land Rover Paramus has this 1995 D90 with wayyyyyyyyyyyy more miles for more money haha

Used 1995 Land Rover Defender 90 Soft Top For Sale in Paramus NJ | | Glen Cove, Parsippany & Newark

Holy mother of bermabrite! WTF is happening here? If these prices don't get under control, I know i'm gonna wake up one day to an empty oil stained driveway. I don't want Freddy and JoJo to jack my shit!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old May 8th, 2015, 10:33 AM
jason1st
Jason Crandall
2006 LR3 2012 SC 1983 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Ten View Post
If you saw the budget on one of these and how many man hours and $ in parts, $150k doesn't seem so unreasonable. I'm on my 6th Defender restoration now and the $ and time disappear real fast on these projects. These are for the guy thats doing well financially and has always wanted one of these but doesn't have the time or skill set to build one
Yup.

If you want a truck with this level of attention to detail it will cost you this much.

As for using a NAS and swapping the frame..... I agree you're killing the reason to buy a NAS truck. It's no longer NAS if you ask me. Buy a truck with a galvanizable original frame or don't buy it.
Old May 8th, 2015, 11:24 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Well, I hate to admit but Shayne-o is right on..

Has anyone ever sold a used car and the buyer said "No! I must pay you more than asking price!!

I sold a Dodge Caravan to a Nigerian prince for well above my asking price.
Old May 8th, 2015, 11:28 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
I curious from a liability standpoint how these 10-passenger conversions obtain insurance with 10 souls, especially with upwards of 8 sitting sideways. This is a legitimate question, even for the shops making the conversions who IMO would be deemed the vehicle's manufacture by the courts. Just follow the controversy of the 15-passenger vans (which the big 3 stopped producing a long time ago) that are banned by many states, churches, organizations, and Canada I believe. Even the EU placed a ban on the fitment of side facing seats in new vehicles I believe in 2005.
Not worth placing in my garage or the $20k(?) in profit to the conversion shop.
Old May 8th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
I sold a Dodge Caravan to a Nigerian prince for well above my asking price.
So you were the one?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
I curious from a liability standpoint how these 10-passenger conversions obtain insurance with 10 souls, especially with upwards of 8 sitting sideways. This is a legitimate question, even for the shops making the conversions who IMO would be deemed the vehicle's manufacture by the courts. Just follow the controversy of the 15-passenger vans (which the big 3 stopped producing a long time ago) that are banned by many states, churches, organizations, and Canada I believe. Even the EU placed a ban on the fitment of side facing seats in new vehicles I believe in 2005.
Not worth placing in my garage or the $20k(?) in profit to the conversion shop.
I wonder what Copley's official stance on this issue would be...maybe it is sold as an off-road only vehicle(beach runner)

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old May 8th, 2015, 11:44 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Sure you can fit 8 people in the back, but will they fit comfortably? No. Look at Jimmy's trip log across the US when he bought his green D90. It sucked for those in the back. The truck doesn't appear to have been built for long distances for 10 occupants. Even if you tried to pack 10 people into that thing, you wouldn't go far since you wouldn't be able to even fit 10 backpacks along with those 10 people. This is for the guy who wants to drive his wife, 4 kids and 2 dogs the 2 miles to the beach and try to cram in a couple of boogie boards. The seats are set up to configure your seating however you'd like...maybe use the first 4 seats for occupants and pack up the rear four or vice versa, or seat someone every-other seat or something.
Old May 8th, 2015, 11:55 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Sure you can fit 8 people in the back, but will they fit comfortably? No. Look at Jimmy's trip log across the US when he bought his green D90. It sucked for those in the back. The truck doesn't appear to have been built for long distances for 10 occupants. Even if you tried to pack 10 people into that thing, you wouldn't go far since you wouldn't be able to even fit 10 backpacks along with those 10 people. This is for the guy who wants to drive his wife, 4 kids and 2 dogs the 2 miles to the beach and try to cram in a couple of boogie boards.
Understood. But at the end of the day, the shop converted a 5-passenger vehicle to seating for 10. One can get t-boned exiting your driveway and I don't see how the conversion shop could indemnify themselves from the subsequent litigation (your kids' friends' families). That decision is what I don't understand. It is not worth potentially losing EVERYTHING for whatever profit was made on the conversion.
Old May 8th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Understood. But at the end of the day, the shop converted a 5-passenger vehicle to seating for 10. One can get t-boned exiting your driveway and I don't see how the conversion shop could indemnify themselves from the subsequent litigation (your kids' friends' families). That decision is what I don't understand. It is not worth losing EVERYTHING for whatever profit was made on the conversion.
^^ Exactly ^^

They even have accidents on ACK.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old May 8th, 2015, 12:27 PM
alecbeard
Alec Beard
1972 Series III

I understand the concept of supply and demand, and I understand that these vehicles cost a lot to build, but it's not a good thing for the 99% of us who aren't rich. Those "inflated" prices trickle down. The problem is that there's no cheap option anymore (except for buying a Disco, of course.) Look at a Jeep. You can build a $100k Jeep that's worth every penny, but you can also find a jeep for $1k that drives and stops and everything else. But with Defenders we're at the point where you can't find one for under $20k, which makes it a Ferrari-type collectors item rather than a truck you want to get dirty. That's all I'm saying.
Old May 8th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecbeard View Post
I understand the concept of supply and demand, and I understand that these vehicles cost a lot to build, but it's not a good thing for the 99% of us who aren't rich. Those "inflated" prices trickle down. The problem is that there's no cheap option anymore (except for buying a Disco, of course.) Look at a Jeep. You can build a $100k Jeep that's worth every penny, but you can also find a jeep for $1k that drives and stops and everything else. But with Defenders we're at the point where you can't find one for under $20k, which makes it a Ferrari-type collectors item rather than a truck you want to get dirty. That's all I'm saying.
You may be forgetting that Heeps are a dime a dozen, you see them daily, everywhere. Of course they're cheaper when there's 100x more of them in the states. Defenders will never drop to those prices.
Old May 8th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
1997 Defender for $145k. Land Rover Defender Defender 110 Convertible | eBay Only in America. Himalaya doesn't even charge that much.
Nope. Thats cheap for one of those conversions. Some have been closer to $250,000. Keith is a regular here but they don't do the conversions.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 8th, 2015, 12:50 PM
jason1st
Jason Crandall

Quote:
They still build Jeeps in the U.S. They don't build Defenders.

The problem isn't people restoring them. The problem is "supply and demand". Your comparison is Apples and Oranges.

Now they don't build them anymore at all. So expect prices to keep rising.
Old May 8th, 2015, 12:50 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
$500,000 for Stinger's latest 911 "conversion" coming to VA. I hope NOVA.
Old May 8th, 2015, 12:51 PM
alecbeard
Alec Beard
1972 Series III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
You may be forgetting that Heeps are a dime a dozen, you see them daily, everywhere. Of course they're cheaper when there's 100x more of them in the states. Defenders will never drop to those prices.
I know. And it's a damn shame. But don't mind me, I'm just an old man, lamenting the way things are going.
Old May 8th, 2015, 01:13 PM
alecbeard
Alec Beard
1972 Series III

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1st View Post
They still build Jeeps in the U.S. They don't build Defenders.

The problem isn't people restoring them. The problem is "supply and demand". Your comparison is Apples and Oranges.

Now they don't build them anymore at all. So expect prices to keep rising.
How about the old Ford Bronco? Can I make that comparison? They're also ridiculously overpriced. Ditto for the Land Cruisers.

Anyway, I'm not really looking for a lesson in economics, just looking for some agreement that the rents are too damn high. And they are too damn high.
Old May 8th, 2015, 01:16 PM
jason1st
Jason Crandall

Quote:
How about the old Ford Bronco? Can I make that comparison? They're also ridiculously overpriced. Ditto for the Land Cruisers.

Anyway, I'm not really looking for a lesson in economics, just looking for some agreement that the rents are too damn high. And they are too damn high.
I have a lot of collectible cars. I love cars. Most I bought 2009-2011. I got them all cheap compared to what I can sell them for now.

Everything is more expensive now than it was 5 years ago.
Old May 8th, 2015, 01:29 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
$500,000 for Stinger's latest 911 "conversion" coming to VA. I hope NOVA.
Sweet Jesus. Hey, Rus, if this comes anywhere close to us let me know. I'd love to see her in person. I owned a 72S 10 years ago and weep when I peek at the prices today.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat