Are there LHD and RHD transmissions? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 10th, 2008, 10:37 AM
jessejames4
Jesse Parris
1/18 scale LR Def 110

Are there LHD and RHD transmissions?

I'm looking at the ebay Land Rover here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LANDR...QQcmdZViewItem

This is something I didn't think of before but I noticed in one of the photos that the shift pattern on the 5 speed is reversed for a LHD setup. In other words, this LR was originally a RHD with first gear starting out on the upper RIGHT, and reverse being in the lower bottom left, completely opposite of US specs.

Can the shift pattern be flipped inside the transmission, or are there LHD and RHD transmissions?

[I have no affiliation with the seller]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2008, 10:40 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
They are the same
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:41 AM
jessejames4
Jesse Parris
1/18 scale LR Def 110

So what are you saying? You just change out the shifter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2008, 10:48 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
? Even with the enlarged version of the photo with the gearshift I cant see it well enough to figure out what you are looking at. Do you realize that different LR trans have different patterns? LT77's have reverse in the upper left, R380's have a reverse in the lower right. Janey had a cool H-pattern LT85(?).

Nevertheless, there are no LHD and RHD trans, they're all the same.

Follow-up Post:

Simulaneous postings here. You dont change out the shifter at all, you just angle the stick differently. Come to think of it, that solves lots of problems in this world.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM
jessejames4
Jesse Parris
1/18 scale LR Def 110

Thanks for clearing that up. No, I did not know that that there are different reverse locations for the LR transmissions in that year. I assumed that if the driver was sitting in the RHD position then looking at the pattern in the photo, to me it appears that it's a standard "H" with the reverse on the bottom left, and that reverse can be in the right upper or right lower position. So, not a far jump to assume that first gear would be in the upper right.

I guess the better assumption in reading your post is that 1st gear is always at the top left of the "H" regardless of it being a LHD or RHD vehicle. I've never driven a RHD vehicle so since a lot of parts are flipped for a conversion from RHD to LHD, it's not too much of a stretch of imagination to also change out the shifter.
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:06 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Once you get it apart, you can see how easy it is to change, the shifter handle is the same. The shaft is splined so you just rotate it wherever you want. A RHD truck isnt that awkward really, since the shifter is angled into a convenient position.

Old January 10th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
A RHD truck isnt that awkward really, since the shifter is angled into a convenient position.

For me I think the more difficult reconfiguring would be the whole 'slouch to the left, lean on the window, clutch with the same side as you lean, gear in right hand' relaxing way to drive. I'd be uptight and out of sorts like a student driver the first few weeks.
Old January 10th, 2008, 05:16 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Janey is RHD and 1st is top left as usual.
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Smile

When I convert my 110, I'm going to leave the shifter in its rhd orientation. When off road in the lower gears the r380 shifter in my 90 seems to constantly be touching my leg, and in the way somewhat-just a little too close. Could be because of my size but this is one of those many little things I'm looking forward to.....
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:32 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You should be able to place it wherever you want, the shaft is splined and has lots of adjustability.

Old January 11th, 2008, 02:03 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I really wanted to put a LHD hand brake in Janey and a RHD one in the D90.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
lhd, rhd, transmission