Architects, a rant... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 1st, 2007, 08:07 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

So.... Emerson what happened today? Did it get straightened out? Is vindication yours? Did the Yoga mat help?
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2007, 10:58 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

I told the town and the owner briefly the situation, as the archs mis-informed me prior to this meeting as well ("they want the response letter for the comments for the meeting, not the plan"). I brought the plan anyway, and the town started asking why they didn't get a copy prior to the meeting. I told them the archs said not to send it... then informed them of how we got where we are again, proceeded with the meeting, and had it about wrapped up before they got there (15 minutes late... too bad).

I am OK with where we stand now. I had a few chances to correct the archs with their late-arrival, mis-informed questions at the meeting, clarify their poorly-stated questions, and generally regain control of the situation.

Icing: I'm going to be referring that other job to another architect (ahem); I have ot do it quietly, as they got me involved first. In this economy, I can't afford to piss off a client, even a PITA one. Besides, lesson learned: trust no one, and control the situation; never let another profession get involved with managing my work or my contact with the client.

That said, Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke (I had an old boss that said that all the time... it still makes me chuckle)
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:40 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

I distinctly remember ARCH 124 freshman year...course title - "How to piss off Engineers and Construction Project Managers"

It was a great class. I was under the impression that ENGR 1XX was the same class with reversed rolls

Kevin
...one of the many architects on the forum

I enjoy fine dining, long walks on the beach and making engineers lives a living hell...

I'll be here all week folks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2007, 11:11 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieD90
I distinctly remember ARCH 124 freshman year...course title - "How to piss off Engineers and Construction Project Managers"

It was a great class. I was under the impression that ENGR 1XX was the same class with reversed rolls

Kevin
...one of the many architects on the forum

I enjoy fine dining, long walks on the beach and making engineers lives a living hell...

I'll be here all week folks
i don't think you oculd be much worse then project managers who oversell our capability, and then get mad when we can't deliver on their schedule... lets see my basis of estimate that i submitted to you was for 1500 hours, you decided it should only take 600, and placed a bid to the eventual customer based on that, and your gonna come back and ding me on my performance review for not meeting target goals...
Old November 3rd, 2007, 02:03 AM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan01
i don't think you oculd be much worse then project managers who oversell our capability, and then get mad when we can't deliver on their schedule... lets see my basis of estimate that i submitted to you was for 1500 hours, you decided it should only take 600, and placed a bid to the eventual customer based on that, and your gonna come back and ding me on my performance review for not meeting target goals...
You're right. My brother is a project manager for a large construction company and he loves to give me a hard time about being an Architect. I always look at what his issues are when I visit his jobsites...typically it's not the architect's fault why there's problems.

I'm glad the only work I do is for people building homes with virtually unlimited budgets. They usually build with homebuilders ready for a challenge. The experience has always ended up being great for the clients, the builder and me. And we need very little from the engineer that's involved. Most of the time we are able to work out our differences so long as the issue isn't just because he's lazy and doesn't want to figure out how to make it work
Old November 4th, 2007, 05:39 PM
hartman
Edward Hartman
1997 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson00
That said, Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke (I had an old boss that said that all the time... it still makes me chuckle)
That's funny, where in NC are you working? My miss-spent youth was at UNC-Wonderful. We had a Wall of Fame with that exact quote in 1990. It was among 10 other quotes a guy should live by, well back then.

My brother's in The Business around Greenville. He moved from Charlotte, after working with a small Surveying company there for 10 years.

Cheers
Old November 4th, 2007, 07:59 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Some good advice!!

Ron is right on. Lots of people have selective memory.

Andrew's analogy is great. Even if I had the talent I couldn't deal with that side of an architects job.

And Jeff's favorite.. learn the rules, play to win works well for anyone crazy enough to sign an AIA contract...just read one sometime.

And for sure...some architects are better than others just like builders/contractors.

Which brings me to my favorite quote for the daily grind. "Win some, loose some and some just get rained out!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat