Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 21st, 2007, 11:57 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

ARB locker?

Hi,

I am sure I will look like an idiot on this board.........but everyone is always talking about ARB LOCKERS, where to mount the switches, etc. I went to the ARB web page and did some reading. Can someone explain in in basic terms what they actually do?

My thoughts are that when I lock the diff, I now have both axels spining at the same time. I am thinking the ARB LOCKERS will allow (with the flip of a switch) the left and right wheels on the axel to spin at the same time.......thus completely canceling the negative off-road effects of limited slip?

-----------------------------------------------------

I have done some limited off-roading. Several times on the beach and in sand. A day at Paragon with a trail guide. Off-roading on a friends property. Driven several times in very deep snow. With these experiences, I by no means consider myself an expert off-road driver. The Defender - JUST THE WAY IT IS - is awesome. In the low set of gears, with the Diff locked, I have never gotten stuck. It is hard to imagine more traction then this.

How much better do these ARB Lockers make the off-road traction? I don't think I will ever have need for them - I am just curious at people's responses?

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2007, 02:48 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
I would start there: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm (not trying to insult anyone; just don't want to make any assumption)
And then, I would draw a diagram that shows where there are differentials in a D90: front axle, transfer case and rear axle.
There is no locker (or limited slip) in the front or rear axle of your D90 (at least... that was not the case when it left the factory).
Even if you lock the T-Case differential, if you have one wheel in front and one wheel in the rear that loose traction at the same time, you will not go anywhere.
The ARB lockers go either in front or rear differential (or both) to fix that problem.
Please note that lockers also brings issues when locked (otherwise..... there would be no differential! ;-) ).

So when you say "I now I have both axles spining at the same time when I lock the diff", you actually mean "I now have the _input_ of both front and rear axles spin at the same speed", but that does not say anything about each individual wheel (when turning each wheel will turn at different speed). And then, one will have the tendancy to spin if it looses traction.

And you are right, I've driven many years off road without lockers without much problem (had a winch! ;-) ).

HTH!
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old July 23rd, 2007, 05:51 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Hey Bert, take a look at this: http://www.arbusa.com/air_locker_video.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:56 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
unless you have a locker even the most capable 4wd really is only 2wd
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:12 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

WOW - now I get it! That video is a great explaination.

How much to these things cost? Now that I know what it is - I am jealous of all you guys that have them. CAN you do one axel or always both? I doubt I will ever spurge for them - but now I see just how cool and effective they can be.

Rover4X4 - I have always been proud of my Defenders capabilities.......and have at least used them some. Sorry that I am only 2wd to you I take it you have the lockers....

Flagg
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:14 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
nope. stock. my defender gets me everywhere ive wanted to go
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:41 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
LOL...our Defenders are the most capable out of the box.

If you check out Expedition Exchange, not sure if they are on over priced but it costs about $800 for the kit without the compressor. Another $170 to $235 for a compressor.

Oh, supposedly even with lockers, you'd want to combine a winch and a Pull-pal if you plan on doing any vertical scaling of the Sears Tower.
Old July 25th, 2007, 03:26 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
And no Bert, you don't need to do both axles. I wheeled for years without lockers and did fine. That said, IMHO they do improve your ability to go places if driven wisely. I put them on both axles and they have gotten me out of some places where I otherwise would have been stuck. They are no silver bullet though, so don't expect them to perform miracles.
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Like my uncle once said....

"My son just got a 4wd to replace his 2wd pickup. Now he just goes in deeper before he gets stuck, and it's harder to get him out all the time."

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:42 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
ARBs are rediculous $ Why?
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:30 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
ARBs are rediculous $ Why?
Because market demand drive prices (and probably production cost gives the base price). There is little competition on the selectable locker market.
If people are willing to pay that money, then they will continue charging that much. If it costs them that much to build them and no one was willing to pay for them, then they would quit making them.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old July 26th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Tonka Dok 90
Nick Dockery
D-90-1985 V8 4.2LTR

Smile MMmmm Lockers ???

I have a fully loaded v8 4.2 manual 90 with a rear locker fitted.
Very rarley does it get used BUT when it does it is very well worth the money it cost me.
I mainly go to winch challenge events and it is very useful in these, i dont have a front locker fitted because i found it VERY difficult to steer as when engaged the diff is completly locked.

SO do you get one ?? well it depends on what you are going to do with your D90.
But be very careful when using one, you may find you just dig a bigger hole to get out of.
Old July 28th, 2007, 12:24 AM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Many cool places over the years that would not be enjoyed without lockers and 35s. I can still taste the fish and smell the fire and lay on my back while watching the sattelites slowly move. Bummer I can't go this summer cause of that damn baby coming out thing....lol.....no, I can wait a bit, but I am dreaming of cool shit until I soon dream of clean diapers....
Old July 28th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974
Many cool places over the years that would not be enjoyed without lockers and 35s. I can still taste the fish and smell the fire and lay on my back while watching the sattelites slowly move. Bummer I can't go this summer cause of that damn baby coming out thing....lol.....no, I can wait a bit, but I am dreaming of cool shit until I soon dream of clean diapers....
But remember. Most of those trails were originally pioneered by a CJ-2/3 with open diff's and stock height, back when it was considered poor form to even engage the transfer case :-) Heck, 10 years ago 35's would have been considered unusually large tires with 31's and 33's being the norm.

But the lockers and 35's do make it more reliable and less work to get there.

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:07 AM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand
Because market demand drive prices (and probably production cost gives the base price). There is little competition on the selectable locker market.
Donít forget the value of the US Peso compared with Australian Dollar.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat