Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 4th, 2005, 10:49 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

ARB bumper saves a D-90

Hi, y'all,

This happened just before Xmas, but I'm just getting around to posting this now.

Anyway, my 7-yr. old and i were returning home from shopping one afternoon, we were on the 2-lane U.S. highway a few miles from home (U.S. 26 for anyone familiar with the area). The speed limit is 55, even though there are surface cross-road intersections.

I was approaching one and saw a Toyota Camry stopped at the stopsign on the cross road. He was looking at the eastbound traffic, but hadn't looked in my direction (westbound traffic) in a while. Iinstinctively I let up a bit on the pedal, but wasn't too concerned; I was sure he was going to check both ways before proceeding. What does he do instead? At the last possible moment, he guns the Camry into the intersection. Not much I could do to avoid hitting him; if I had stood on the brakes and kept going straight I would have plowed into the driver-side door.

Instead I slowed down as much as I dared and still have steering control, and veered left as much as a could; fortunately there was no oncoming traffic. He dropped from sight below the window as he got closer; and after what seemed a very long moment I heard that sick sound of scrunching metal. The was a shoulder and a pretty steep dropoff on the left side, and at one point I was deciding whether I could keep it on the shoulder (i.e., right steering input), or heading down the dropoff was inevitable such that I should try to head down it straight (i.e., left steering input). I thought i could keep it on the shoulder, and was successful.

So my right front corner hits his left front corner. As you can see, the ARB got pretty mangled, but other than some sheet metal, the rest of the '90 was OK, and it was drivable. I must have been going about 40 mph when we hit. His car had to be towed.

Oh, the guy was 82 years old. I got the feeling talking to his kids that they've been concerned about Dad's drving for quite some time, and I think this will put an end to his driving career.

BTW, I popped the plastic rivets and took off the fender eyebrow, as it was rubbing up against the tire. I'm glad I didn't cut it off: the body shop says those dull black/gray eyebrows are no longer available, and the only ones available are gloss black. Sitting in the back of the '90 on a few sunny days, the eyebrow straightened itself out again, and can be re-used.

Oh, my son and I weren't hurt (hurray for seat belts), and old guy just bumped his head on the steering wheel but they took him to the hospital just in case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wreck1.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	2440   Click image for larger version

Name:	wreck2.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	2441  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2005, 11:00 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Is the chassis still straight?
Old February 5th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

WOW Barry! Glad everyone is OK! I am like you I try to avoid rether then hit stright on, but sometimes you have to bit the bullet and take a hit. Looks like the ARB held up well. Any pics of his car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2005, 01:10 AM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

wow...

glad you are all ok..

makes my decision pretty solid re: ARB.

hope things are well,

-dan
Old February 5th, 2005, 01:25 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
Is the chassis still straight?
Yea, hard to see in the pics, but the ARB actually split where the attachment plated weld on to the rest of the bumper. In other words, it took about as much stress as it could, without transfering it to the chassis. The chassis horns are still in the same place.

Needless to say, I was impressed with it design. About the only bad thing you can say about them is the bite that they take out of the approach angle.
Old February 5th, 2005, 02:26 AM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

so no damage to the frame??? how to tell for sure?? do you know what they do to check?

-dan
Old February 5th, 2005, 08:36 PM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

Glad to hear there were no major injuries. Glad I have an ARB like that sitting on the floor in the garage. More incentive to put it on the truck.
Old February 5th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

There are ways to tell if the chasis is still straight by using a plumb and dropping down points onto a flat level floor and doing some measurements--a manual will tell how to do this. I am glad no one was injured--sorry about the truck. Don't worry about matte versus gloss eyebrows--the gloss turn matte after about 2 years. I was told that "matte" never existed in the first place, but that is unconfirmed. I do know that mine I put on 16 months ago is now matte.
Old February 6th, 2005, 01:24 AM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

i see...

hey barry....what was the total cost of damages to your car? mine looks very similar..

-dan
Old February 6th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Britt Easterly
Britt Easterly
97 Defender 90

I know the intersection your speaking of past Hillsboro. I've often wondered why they put that in the middle of the highway. Glad all made it.
Old February 6th, 2005, 11:39 PM
greenoval
Deborah Davis
1997 D90 LE

We've driven that highway many times and even crossed it a few. Always scares the s**t out of me.
Old February 7th, 2005, 02:51 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

interesting comment about the eyebrows. I'll have to see if I can find some old pics of mine and see what they looked like.

The estimate was $3200.

the intersection in question is the first blinking light you get to on Hwy. 26 when heading westbound toward the coast. the road doesn't even cross the highway at a 90 degree angle, so yea, it can be tricky checking for cross-traffic.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, arb bumper, bumper, d-90