apparently people in colorado don't appreciate my 27 year old defender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 13th, 2012, 11:02 AM
TravelerBT
Philip Marshall
none - :*(

Registry
apparently people in colorado don't appreciate my 27 year old defender

Just freekin' hilarious... look what I got in the mail yesterday...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	july13_201202.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	54184   Click image for larger version

Name:	july13_201201.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	54185  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2012, 11:08 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Ha ha. And if you don't?
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:16 AM
TravelerBT
Philip Marshall

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
Ha ha. And if you don't?
"Voluntary action is REQUESTED" So let me translate... total waste of tax payer money...

If they had actually looked at the registration...

1. It is DIESEL in WELD county... no Diesel emissions in my county!!!
2. it is 27 years old and nearly qualified as a classic vehicle... NO EMISSIONS

just asinine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2012, 11:22 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

I had a guy in a Prius about a month ago pull up to me at a stop light and say "Do you know your car is smoking from the tailpipe?"

my response was just "diesels do that"

he got very flustered and pulled away as fast as a Prius could.

Seriously, these self-important a-holes are unbelievable. You're keeping a 27 year old truck on the road, their car is as disposable as a coffee filter.
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:25 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Theoretically you coud be ticketed for a smoking vehicle violation even though you don't live within the emissions area.

Colorado Statutes
Title 42. VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
REGULATION OF VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
Article 4. Regulation of Vehicles and Traffic
Part 4. DIESEL INSPECTION PROGRAM

Current through 2012 Regular Session Legislation

42-4-412. Air pollution violations

(1)(a)A person commits a class 2 petty offense, as specified in section 18-1.3-503, C.R.S., if the person causes or permits the emission into the atmosphere fromI)Any motor vehicle, including a motorcycle, powered by gasoline or any fuel except diesel of any visible air pollutant as defined in section 25-7-103 (1.5), C.R.S.;(II)Any diesel-powered motor vehicle, of any visible air pollutant, as defined in section 25-7-103 (1.5), C.R.S., which creates an unreasonable nuisance or danger to the public health, safety, or welfare.(b)Violations of this section may be determined by visual observations, including the snap acceleration opacity test, or by test procedures using opacity measurements.(c)The provisions of paragraph (a) of this subsection (1) shall not apply to emissions caused by cold engine start-up.(2)(a)The air quality control commission shall determine the minimum emission level of visible air pollutants from diesels which shall be considered to create an unreasonable nuisance or danger to the public health, safety, and welfare. Such minimum emission level shall be based on smoke levels attainable by correctly operated and maintained in-use diesel vehicles, considering altitude and other reasonable factors affecting visible smoke levels. In no case shall such level be less than twenty percent opacity when observed for five seconds or more. On interstate highways, opacity may be observed for ten seconds. Standards for transient conditions with no time limit shall also be established. Not later than December 1, 1979, the division shall develop a training course and qualification test designed to enable peace officers and environmental officers to ascertain violations of such standards without reference to opacity levels and to distinguish between air pollutants as defined in section 25-7-103 (1.5), C.R.S., and steam or water vapor.(b)(I)The Colorado state patrol of the department of public safety shall offer the training course and qualification test.(II)(Deleted by amendment, L. 96, p. 1263, 171, effective August 7, 1996.)(3)(a)This section shall apply only to motor vehicles intended, designed, and manufactured primarily for use in carrying passengers or cargo on roads, streets, and highways.(b)Subparagraph (II) of paragraph (a) of subsection (1) of this section shall apply to all areas of the state except the program area, which program area shall be subject to section 42-4-413.(4)(a)Effective January 1, 1980, the offense of causing air pollution pursuant to this section, upon conviction, is punishable by a fine of twenty-five dollars.(b)Subsequent offenses involving the same motor vehicle within one year of a conviction under the provisions of paragraph (a) of this subsection (4), upon conviction, shall be punishable by a fine of one hundred dollars.(c)Any owner who receives a citation under the provisions of this section may continue to use the vehicle for which the offense is alleged, without restriction, until such owner's conviction.(d)Any fines collected pursuant to the provisions of this subsection (4) shall be divided in equal amounts and transmitted to the treasurer of the local jurisdiction in whose name the penalty was assessed and to the state treasurer for credit to the general fund.Cite as C.R.S 42-4-412

------ Follow up post added July 13th, 2012 09:26 AM ------

And I should add that I'm surprised that I haven't gotten one of those yet. I need to turn down the fueling on my 86.
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:31 AM
TravelerBT
Philip Marshall

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
Theoretically you coud be ticketed for a smoking vehicle violation even though you don't live within the emissions area.

Colorado Statutes
Title 42. VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
REGULATION OF VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
Article 4. Regulation of Vehicles and Traffic
Part 4. DIESEL INSPECTION PROGRAM

Current through 2012 Regular Session Legislation

42-4-412. Air pollution violations

(1)(a)A person commits a class 2 petty offense, as specified in section 18-1.3-503, C.R.S., if the person causes or permits the emission into the atmosphere fromI)Any motor vehicle, including a motorcycle, powered by gasoline or any fuel except diesel of any visible air pollutant as defined in section 25-7-103 (1.5), C.R.S.;(II)Any diesel-powered motor vehicle, of any visible air pollutant, as defined in section 25-7-103 (1.5), C.R.S., which creates an unreasonable nuisance or danger to the public health, safety, or welfare.(b)Violations of this section may be determined by visual observations, including the snap acceleration opacity test, or by test procedures using opacity measurements.(c)The provisions of paragraph (a) of this subsection (1) shall not apply to emissions caused by cold engine start-up.(2)(a)The air quality control commission shall determine the minimum emission level of visible air pollutants from diesels which shall be considered to create an unreasonable nuisance or danger to the public health, safety, and welfare. Such minimum emission level shall be based on smoke levels attainable by correctly operated and maintained in-use diesel vehicles, considering altitude and other reasonable factors affecting visible smoke levels. In no case shall such level be less than twenty percent opacity when observed for five seconds or more. On interstate highways, opacity may be observed for ten seconds. Standards for transient conditions with no time limit shall also be established. Not later than December 1, 1979, the division shall develop a training course and qualification test designed to enable peace officers and environmental officers to ascertain violations of such standards without reference to opacity levels and to distinguish between air pollutants as defined in section 25-7-103 (1.5), C.R.S., and steam or water vapor.(b)(I)The Colorado state patrol of the department of public safety shall offer the training course and qualification test.(II)(Deleted by amendment, L. 96, p. 1263, 171, effective August 7, 1996.)(3)(a)This section shall apply only to motor vehicles intended, designed, and manufactured primarily for use in carrying passengers or cargo on roads, streets, and highways.(b)Subparagraph (II) of paragraph (a) of subsection (1) of this section shall apply to all areas of the state except the program area, which program area shall be subject to section 42-4-413.(4)(a)Effective January 1, 1980, the offense of causing air pollution pursuant to this section, upon conviction, is punishable by a fine of twenty-five dollars.(b)Subsequent offenses involving the same motor vehicle within one year of a conviction under the provisions of paragraph (a) of this subsection (4), upon conviction, shall be punishable by a fine of one hundred dollars.(c)Any owner who receives a citation under the provisions of this section may continue to use the vehicle for which the offense is alleged, without restriction, until such owner's conviction.(d)Any fines collected pursuant to the provisions of this subsection (4) shall be divided in equal amounts and transmitted to the treasurer of the local jurisdiction in whose name the penalty was assessed and to the state treasurer for credit to the general fund.Cite as C.R.S 42-4-412

------ Follow up post added July 13th, 2012 09:26 AM ------

And I should add that I'm surprised that I haven't gotten one of those yet. I need to turn down the fueling on my 86.

it says "Any fuel EXCEPT diesel" or am I reading that wrong?
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:32 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Read it again. Carefully.
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:33 AM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

It's only going to get worse... forget "Zombie Apocalypse" were are heading towards a total "Self Righteous Special Interest Pious Asshole Apocalypse".
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Akitatw4
Tom
1995/D90

Registry
Cool

While my 95 D-90 doesn't smoke from the tail pipe, the driver typically can be witnessed smoking a big stogie whilst enjoying the drive! That also gets some not so nice looks from the whiners of the world.
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftshopduane View Post
It's only going to get worse... forget "Zombie Apocalypse" were are heading towards a total "Self Righteous Special Interest Pious Asshole Apocalypse".
we might already be there...
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:42 AM
TravelerBT
Philip Marshall

Registry
Quote:
Read it again. Carefully.
If I get a ticket for this I am going to laugh at the cop...
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:44 AM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
If it's any consolation... I am in Colorado and I REALLY appreciate your vehicle.
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:47 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
I don't think you have anything to worry about. The fine is only $25.00, and a difficult charge to prove, so I'm thinking it's unlikely that any cop would bother. I've been fined more than that for parking in Denver without a front license plate.
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:50 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerBT View Post
If I get a ticket for this I am going to laugh at the cop...
(II)Any diesel-powered motor vehicle, of any visible air pollutant, as defined in section 25-7-103 (1.5), C.R.S., which creates an unreasonable nuisance or danger to the public health, safety, or welfare

Can't see diesel smoke doing any of that.
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:53 AM
TravelerBT
Philip Marshall

Registry
Don't get me wrong... I am all for the environment... and if there was a reasonable after market urea injection system I would consider giving it a try... Actually, I should hit the Department of Public Health and Environment to pay for it eh?

Old July 13th, 2012, 11:58 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Don't get me wrong... I am all for the environment... and if there was a reasonable after market urea injection system I would consider giving it a try... Actually, I should hit the Department of Public Health and Environment to pay for it eh?

What engine are you running? My 200tdi doesn't create any visible smoke aside from startup. The 2.5na is another story, but like I said, that can be dealt with by backing off the fueling. That really should be done to compensate for altitude.
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:06 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Colorado shouldn't surprise on this. The state did regulate away coal-fired electric generation after all. A few years back while skiing at Telluride, the electric power went out and the lifts had to switch to back-up diesel for a couple of hourse. Of course, there was smoke coming out of the stacks, etc. It was the focus of derision for days around the mountain. Couldn't go anywhere without anyone talking about how horrible it was to have to run the diesels.
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:09 PM
TravelerBT
Philip Marshall

Registry
Quote:
What engine are you running? My 200tdi doesn't create any visible smoke aside from startup. The 2.5na is another story, but like I said, that can be dealt with by backing off the fueling. That really should be done to compensate for altitude.
300TDi, and neither does mine... it idols with no smoke runs at speed with no smoke either...

I see smoke on starting in 1st gear, and there is a puff when I shift... pretty much it...
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:

That would not help the smoke.... Turn down the fueling if you don't want smoke...

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:13 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
In that case increase the fueling before driving through Boulder.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
colorado