apparently people in colorado don't appreciate my 27 year old defender - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 18th, 2013, 01:33 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
So I get to the Colorado clean air inspection place today and proceed to tell the tech that my Defender is on an exemption list so it's not tested on the rollers but a tail pipe inspection. I'm told there is no list, and I call BS. I ask to speak to manager, he says never heard of it. I show him their website on my phone and they are dumbfounded that such list exist. Manager calls his supervisor, who calls corporate office. Corporate confirms the exception list but says they test the Defender all the time on the rollers and that going forward the 90 will be taken off list.
What a load of shit and complete waste of time. More money wasted to tell them how to do their job.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2013, 01:49 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
I have had some epic battles over the years with Envirotest and the CDHPE but that always involved tire size issues on my Jeep.

After spending way too much time fighting with them to abide by their own published rules, I now put on a pair of smaller diameter rollers to get my e-test done.

And now with the 110 I have resorted to pulling my front drive shaft every year. I think I'm up again in April. This is on a 1986 truck that "should" be eligible for collector tags-- had the Ritter administration not eliminated the rolling 25 year collector plate eligibility several years ago.

Just thinking about it annoys the hell out of me.
Old January 18th, 2013, 01:49 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Just lock the t-case and watch it shoot off the rollers. If the run it with the center diff spinning it will trash the t-case.
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2013, 01:52 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Just lock the t-case and watch it shoot off the rollers. If the run it with the center diff spinning it will trash the t-case.
Nope, they have AWD dynos available. Hell nearly everyone here owns a Subaru or AWD Audi.
Old January 18th, 2013, 01:56 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
Nope, they have AWD dynos available. Hell nearly everyone here owns a Subaru or AWD Audi.
That sucks.
Old January 18th, 2013, 02:05 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
This is on a 1986 truck that "should" be eligible for collector tags-- had the Ritter administration not eliminated the rolling 25 year collector plate eligibility several years ago.
You want to talk about pissed, I had no idea that they were making that change, I went down to the DMV and put the title in my name and got a temp tag so i could get my emissions test and was told that it qualified for the collector plates and the exact cost. Went back the following week and was told they passed the bill on friday and I could not get the collectors plates. I wanted to hurt the person at the DMV sooo bad.

Still pissed
Old January 18th, 2013, 02:36 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
This is hilarious. So after an hour of waiting on these clowns, my 90 passed but my gas cap did not. So now I have to go buy a new gas cap come back and they have to do the test all over top to bottom again. Colorado government blows.
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old January 18th, 2013, 02:47 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Did it go on the dyno?
Old January 18th, 2013, 02:49 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
You want to talk about pissed, I had no idea that they were making that change, I went down to the DMV and put the title in my name and got a temp tag so i could get my emissions test and was told that it qualified for the collector plates and the exact cost. Went back the following week and was told they passed the bill on friday and I could not get the collectors plates. I wanted to hurt the person at the DMV sooo bad.

Still pissed
And every time you have to get an e-test I bet you get pissed all over again!

I keep hearing rumors about Envirotest going away, but I can't see that happening with the current regime.

------ Follow up post added January 18th, 2013 12:51 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
This is hilarious. So after an hour of waiting on these clowns, my 90 passed but my gas cap did not. So now I have to go buy a new gas cap come back and they have to do the test all over top to bottom again. Colorado government blows.
Oh and that's one other thing. They stole my gas cap once. Removed it for testing and didn't put it back on. I didn't discover it for about a week or so (cap is hidden from view behind my license plate on the Jeep). So, I went down there and they showed me a whole box of gas caps that they had purloined and invited me to take one. The one I got wasn't the one they took, but it works.

Now I always check for presence of the gas cap before leaving.....
Old January 18th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

I don't know if this is still accurate, but I copied it from a post on the Solihull Society Forum.

"I just had to have an emissions test again, and was reminded of something I finally learned several years ago -- maybe not here, so I'm posting this. Defenders don't have to drive on the rollers to pass an emissions test! (If you've ever gone through that, you know that they can buck around a lot, even when strapped down.) It turns out they're on a short list of vehicles that are exempt for safety reasons. Of course center staff don't typically know or volunteer that, but if you tell them they can look it up (as you can too on the Air Care CO website) under "IM240 Exceptions". Then you just get a simple tailpipe test at idle, with no problems. Very useful to know.
Old January 18th, 2013, 03:49 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Did it go on the dyno?
No it didn't have to go on the dyno, just the exhaust 2 step test. Passed this time with a new gas cap. Spent a total of 2 hours doing all that this morning now I get the joy of going to the tag office.
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old January 18th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I have had problems with the techs before as well. You have to bring in the exemption list or they won't know what you are talking about. If you run through a roadside sniffer i think twice in the six months prior to your tags expiring you will be exempt from having to go to the center. You can go online and find the locations, but there is always one at I-25 and 6th ave.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
colorado