Anyone using Geico Insurance? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 31st, 2015, 02:57 PM
Pik1968
Andy
1985 90 LHD

Anyone using Geico Insurance?

Geico just told me they could not insure my 85 ex-Mod 110 because it is RHD.

Did I get a rep that does not know, or has that held true for others here?

Thought I would add it to my regular insurance but may be heading to Hagerty now/

Pik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2015, 03:02 PM
Himalaya
Mark WS
1995 Nas, 86 D110, 97 Hummer H1

I ended up using AllState for my sons 86 exmod. Best to use a local agent, not the main company phone numbers.
Old July 31st, 2015, 03:08 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
I have my home market 90 with Gieco just now, but shall be changing to Haggerty soon, Gieco know mine is rhd

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2015, 03:11 PM
Pik1968
Andy
1985 90 LHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Did you tell them, or did they decode the VIN?

-Jeff

I told them during the Q and A session about the vehicle. The VIN was not an issue after I explained it was a recent import.

Pik
Old July 31st, 2015, 03:43 PM
98 HOO
Josh Smith
1960 Series 2a/D90 Hybrid

Registry
I had my 1982 RHD 109" with Geico for 9 years and have my RHD Series insured with them now with full coverage and agreed upon value. I never have had a claim though, and it has never come up... I wonder if I should ask them....would hate to find out it is an issue if I ever need the insurance.
Old July 31st, 2015, 03:53 PM
Pik1968
Andy
1985 90 LHD

" I wonder if I should ask them....would hate to find out it is an issue if I ever need the insurance"

That's why I am not bothering to try it with another agent, and not tell them unless they ask.
No point having it only to be denied it if you try and use it.

Pik
Old July 31st, 2015, 04:22 PM
98 HOO
Josh Smith
1960 Series 2a/D90 Hybrid

Registry
Just got off the phone with Geico who confirmed there is no issue with my 1960 being RHD. They noted it on the policy to be sure there weren't any future questions and said it is fine as long as it was built like that by the factory and not a "customization."
Old July 31st, 2015, 04:25 PM
Pik1968
Andy
1985 90 LHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 HOO View Post
Just got off the phone with Geico who confirmed there is no issue with my 1960 being RHD. They noted it on the policy to be sure there weren't any future questions and said it is fine as long as it was built like that by the factory and not a "customization."

I will give them a call back then. Thanks.

Pik
Old July 31st, 2015, 04:59 PM
Pik1968
Andy
1985 90 LHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 HOO View Post

Sigh

I called Geico back and explained that other owners of LR used Geico for their RHD vehicles; after checking with the underwriting department, and calling me back...

They will not cover my 1985 Land Rover because it is RHD.

Hagerty here I come.

Pik
Old July 31st, 2015, 05:03 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pik1968 View Post

Sigh

I called Geico back and explained that other owners of LR used Geico for their RHD vehicles; after checking with the underwriting department, and calling me back...

Hagerty here I come.

Pik
So now Geico will revoke all the policies?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 31st, 2015, 05:08 PM
Pik1968
Andy
1985 90 LHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
So now Geico will revoke all the policies?

Oooh I am sure they will keep collecting premiums.

Pik
Old July 31st, 2015, 05:11 PM
tjobringer
T.J.
1994 Arles ST

Registry
Just wanted to throw my $.02 in as an insurance agent. I would strongly recommend talking to a local independent agent about your coverage, especially if it's ROW. The insurance companies I would recommend looking at are Hagerty, American Collectors, Grundy, Safeco and Condon & Skelly. Obviously having them insured on an agreed value basis is very important, check your policy to make sure you have that endorsement on there (no matter the year/make of your Defender). If you have it insured as actual cash value I guarantee the insurance carrier will try to depreciate it was below current market value.
Old July 31st, 2015, 05:35 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Fwiw I've with Amica, but recently asked Liberty Mutual for a quote. Since mines a Series Hybrid they classified it as a kit car and refused to quote.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 31st, 2015, 05:41 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
If you are trying to insure it as a collector car Geico will dole out the underwriting to a third party, namely, American Collectors. AC will in turn make you go thru all the motions, write you a policy and you will figure all is well.
Until, that is, you get a nice note in the mail from the DMV telling you that your vehicle is uninsured and that they would like $175 uninsured vehicle fine to be sent to them as promptly as is convenient.
After lifting your jaw up off the floor you call AC to find out (after much wait time) that your vehicle policy was cancelled because it is modified for off road use. 'But but but...' you say to them, to no avail.
So what I did was go back to my old liability policy that I had with Geico. Truck is insured and costs about $100 a year.
My insurance for collision is a pile of spare parts. I figure that if I get in a wreck and damage the truck I'll fix it if I am physically capable. If I'm not I won't be driving anything anyway.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old July 31st, 2015, 06:29 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pik1968 View Post
Sigh

Hagerty here I come.

Pik
Has anyone spoken with Hagerty recently about insuring a Defender? We currently have 3 older cars with them, and the last time I asked (about 2 years ago), the Defender wasn't an option for them. We have a NAS 110 so I explained the fact there were so few out there and wanted a guaranteed value policy for it, but they said maybe in the future...
Any changes??

As far as Geico goes...I have a motorcycle with them, since it's a cheap policy, but there's definitely better companies out there! Don't forget USAA, if you're former military!! We have 4 cars with them (Including the Defender) and they're awesome! It's just not a guaranteed value policy so that concerns me a bit on the 110...
Old July 31st, 2015, 06:34 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am having trouble finding agreed value ($100k), daily driver coverage for my '94 110. As it's not 25 years old, American Classic and Haggerty won't touch it.

USAA will cover it up to $70k, which I think is close enough, I just worry about proving that high-end replacement valuation.

Semper Fi!
Old July 31st, 2015, 06:35 PM
tjobringer
T.J.
1994 Arles ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyAK View Post
Has anyone spoken with Hagerty recently about insuring a Defender? We currently have 3 older cars with them, and the last time I asked (about 2 years ago), the Defender wasn't an option for them. We have a NAS 110 so I explained the fact there were so few out there and wanted a guaranteed value policy for it, but they said maybe in the future...
Any changes??

As far as Geico goes...I have a motorcycle with them, since it's a cheap policy, but there's definitely better companies out there! Don't forget USAA, if you're former military!! We have 4 cars with them (Including the Defender) and they're awesome! It's just not a guaranteed value policy so that concerns me a bit on the 110...
Sonny, absolutely Hagerty will do NAS 90's and 110's. I quoted them for my '94 NAS 90 but they weren't as competitive as Safeco was. Give them a call, they are the best collector car carrier we represent.
Old July 31st, 2015, 06:39 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Don't the collector policies have certain parameters concerning DD duties, annual miles, etc?
I tend to agree with Bill on this as I insure through Nationwide, but have the bits necessary to build repair as needed- it's the theft that leaves me a tad worried, value wise.

Old July 31st, 2015, 07:05 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
Don't the collector policies have certain parameters concerning DD duties, annual miles, etc? I tend to agree with Bill on this as I insure through Nationwide, but have the bits necessary to build repair as needed- it's the theft that leaves me a tad worried, value wise.
Yes, Hagerty told me they wouldn't insure a DD or off-roader.

Semper Fi!
Old July 31st, 2015, 07:13 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Yes, Hagerty told me they wouldn't insure a ... off-roader.
Good luck finding anyone who will!

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
insurance