Anyone use enclosed trailer for their 90? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 11th, 2006, 10:29 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Anyone use enclosed trailer for their 90?

My d90 is lifted and on 35's, squeaks into the garage.
I am looking for a trailer, thought if I could find an enclosed trailer tall enough to hold the d90 it would be great to have. Hoped to doulbe it up as a camper.
I thought I could add some windows, maybe a window unit a/c, grill etc.

Tow the d90 to an event, unload and set up camp inside.

Anyone seen or made anything like this?
I don't know if an enclosed trailer could be that tall? (I think 7')
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2006, 10:43 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

it is tough to get them in the trailer, and getting in and out of the trailer is tough, besides your range rover wouldn't be able to pull it.
Old December 11th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I was about one second from buying a toyhauler for my Truck. It is extremely difficult to find one that will actually work for a truck application. I found one used made by Santek that had upgraded to 5k axles, reinforced floor, and 7 foot door. It was wide enough by .5in and long enough by about 12in. It was perfect. It slept 4 with a sink, fridge, ect. I ended up not buying it mostly because it was a hassle to store where I can just keep my open trailer on my property.

If you are thinking of pulling with a range rover, don't. It won't even make it onto the freeway. I was seriously worried about my 3/4 ton 454 Suburban being able to handle the load.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2006, 11:30 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"If you are thinking of pulling with a range rover, don't. It won't even make it onto the freeway."

BS unless you are in the mountains. D-90 on trailer behind disco or LWB was fine.
Old December 11th, 2006, 11:48 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Aaron, why did you have to spoil my thread? LOL
Not that this matters, but Uhaul says I can pull my d90 with my 04 RR (their trailer weighs a ton)

I guess I need to go weigh the d90. A local shop says they have some that are 7" high that may fit the bill. (you can get them wired and with heat/air....I bet that costs out the butt)
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
"If you are thinking of pulling with a range rover, don't. It won't even make it onto the freeway."

BS unless you are in the mountains. D-90 on trailer behind disco or LWB was fine.
BS?!!? What are you talking about? No way with an enclosed 24 foot toyhauler and D-90. Your looking at over 11,000 pounds with water and gear. It is not safe to pull that with a range rover. A 2006 Range rover has a tow capasity of 7,700 pounds. Were not talking about some open 16 foot trailer here, were talking about a sleeping quarter equiped enclosed car trailer. Don't be a fool, buy a tow rig that was meant to tow if you are going to get anywhere around 7K and up on weight.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:18 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I was on I40 in NC and saw a MKIII RR pulling a yellow Defender. THe Defender had to be on at least 35" rubber it had Safari Gard tire carrier for sure, it was an open trailer obviously. it was east bound I was west bound so couldnt really get a good inspection. I think the RR can handle towing a Defender, Id be sure and have trailer brakes and synthetic transmission fluid. The longer the wheel base the better, anything but a powerstroke...

Follow-up Post:

you could do like monster trucks do and put it in the trailer on some like 215/75's or something.
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:23 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

thing is why? better solution, buy an RV with a diesel pusher, and get an open trailer. Problem solved. If you are gonna tow with an enclosed, 5th wheel is the only way to go. Can you do it otherwise yes, but you will be miserable.

If you hadn't spent all that money on your 90 you wouldn't have this problem
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:25 PM
evilfij
evilfij

"were talking about a sleeping quarter equiped enclosed car trailer."

Well I thought we were talking about a standard enclosed trailer, like a haulmark which I think is what btate is after. In my experience they do not weigh much more than an open trailer.

I did not mean the things that you can camp in front and drive ATVs into the back of.
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:25 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

I'd buy a either a Ford F-250 powerstroke,Dodge 2500 cummins(my favorite), or chevy 2500hd duramax these all can tow very well. And with people tricking out these hauling rigs you could find a used that has upgraded trans,engine,drivetrain that gets good MPG towing and increased towing capacity
Old December 11th, 2006, 02:35 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Ok,
I went and looked at the enclosed trailers, the problem would be storing the trailer in a neighborhood. (compared to a flat trailer, that hides behind a small fence)
So flat trailer is my best bet. I am waiting to see the '08 F-250 diesel in late January....
Old December 11th, 2006, 03:07 PM
evilfij
evilfij

The 04 RR will happily tow the 90 on an open trailer, especially on the east coast.
Old December 11th, 2006, 03:13 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
and if it becomes too much you can always take it off and drive it a few miles..
Old December 11th, 2006, 03:24 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
The 04 RR will happily tow the 90 on an open trailer, especially on the east coast.
It will do it, but I don't think happily will be involved.
Old December 11th, 2006, 03:29 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
no kidding, i might do it if i was leasing.....
Old December 11th, 2006, 03:59 PM
evilfij
evilfij

"It will do it, but I don't think happily will be involved."

Have you ever towed with an 03-05 RR?

They do quite well. Good brakes, EAS keeps it level and stable, decent enough power, good enough wheelbase.

Sure it is not a cummins 3500 or an F550, but it will be more than adequate.
Old December 11th, 2006, 04:14 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

have I towed with one, no. is it adequate for the flat east coast yes. Would it be fun, no. I have towed little single axle trailers all the way up to tractor trailers with backhoes and equipment. A range rover will do, it will just not be comfortable. I have a gmc with a gas that is more equiped to tow, but it still sucks, So I use the f350 to tow the 90. Just because it can doesn't mean it is supposed to. Plus Bryan and I are friends and I don't want to see him tear up his RR.
Old December 11th, 2006, 04:24 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Maybe I have a different perspective. I really enjoyed towing with the 05 RR. It was much better than towing with either:

1. The LWB
2. 5 speed disco I
3. Auto disco I
4. The D90
5. K1500 5.7 Gas Vortec Suburban (brakes suck on these, if you don't have to stop its great)

All this being said, sure a 6 speed CTD is the way to tow, but for occasional use, an 03-05 RR will do the job more than adequately. Other than the comfort issue, I thought the D90 towed the best of the non-new rovers I have/had.

I don't understand this whole comfort thing. I mean unless you are doing something like driving through really heavy traffic or in snow, towing on the east coast you can go well over the speed limit in pretty much any rover pulling rover set up, especially an 04 RR (bet a blown 06 would be even better!!!!)
Old December 11th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Saying something CAN tow a trailer and saying something SHOULD are very different things. The lightest fully Enclosed trailers available are 3k pounds. At least that is the lightest I could ever find when I was looking. A cheap super-light open 16' is 1000LB. So take 3K and add that to the 3,560 weight of a bone stock D-90. Then add all the parts/bolt-ons and gear that are no doubt loaded in the truck and you are pulling 4,500 worth of truck on a 3,000LB trailer. Hello 7,500.

It is nuts to subject a LR drivetrain to that kind of stress. There is a reason 3/4 and 1 tons come with dana 60 or higher rear axles.

I mean jeeze. I struggle big time going up to the hammers on slight grades with a very light d-90, a very light trailer, and a 454 Suburban.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 11th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Jase
Jase
pending

2nd what Buck states, can and should are different. I'm on the east coast and its an aggrevation and safety issue to all traffic when someone's under sized tow rig can't pull a slight grade near the speed limit.

A 1000lb 16ft would be a piece of crap. Buying a D90 and putting it on a Malwart trailer is foolish. My 18" open trailer weighs 2700.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags