Anyone use enclosed trailer for their 90? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 11th, 2006, 10:43 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

A very experienced Rover guy we all know said " You would have to be stupid to haul a Rover with a Rover".

He was speaking generally of course but I agree. This subject comes up often with lots of opinions. What does a D 90 and enclosed or open trailer weigh? What does a Rangie weigh?

Just doesn't make sense to me no matter what the owners manual says.
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2006, 08:45 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

I have towed my boat around town with no problems. (27' Ocean master (6500lbs + trailer) and 26' Southport) The truck has balls to pull it well, surprisingly strong pull.
But I sure wouldn't want to tow it to far. Just doesn't feel like that what its designed for. Excessive tongue weight on the air suspension doesn't seem smart.
Recently, my left front air shock had been sitting low and not rising after speed bumps, I went to tow a heavy load and finally got it to throw a code, then the dealer finally believed me and replaced it.
I have decided to get a flat car trailer....
Old December 12th, 2006, 01:26 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

For what its worth, my thoughts on towing:

1 Never Ever exceed the Manufacturers recommendations towing weight. When you take out the car carrying the Single mother of two kids when you canít stop at an intersection, you will not be able to live with yourself, and you may have to become the wife of Bubba (your cell mate).

2 Why risk towing your precious 90 with something that is less than adequate to do so.

3 I work in the highway construction business. I see too many Dumb Asses do dumb things on the roadways, and too many times it ends up killing innocent people. The Dumb Ass that causes the accident almost never dies.

The lawyer representing the orphaned kids will rip you apart on the witness stand. It would go somthing like this:
Q Sir, do you recognize this book?
A. Yes itís the ownerís manual for my truck.
Q. Is there a section in this manual that covers towing?
A. Yes on chapter 4
Q. Sir, can you identify these photographs?
A. Yes it is the VIN plate on my truck. And the VIN Plate for the trailer I was hauling.
Q. Does the Vin Plates have the Max Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVW) Stamped or Printed on them?
A. Yes they do.

This will be a short trial.

With that said, there is nothing wrong with towing your truck, just be smart about it.

My dad tows his 90 to Rallies and other events. He uses a flat deck trailer pulled by a Dodge Ram 2500 long bed. It tows so well, you forget that it is behind.

My neighbor has a Rock Buggy and Aftermarket Jeep parts business. He pulls a 5th wheel enclosed trailer all over the country (Moab, SEMA, etc) with up to 2 Buggies or Jeeps in the back. He uses an F-250 Dually to pull his toys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2006, 01:56 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Ok,
I guess I do need that 2008 King Ranch F-250 after all!
Old December 12th, 2006, 02:49 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Cummings
Old December 12th, 2006, 02:53 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Cummins
Old December 12th, 2006, 04:02 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

I drove one and like it, tons of power.
It's hard not to buy a ford, my brother-in-law gives me A-plan pricing.....

He actually got to hang out with Jay Leno last week...had a private showing of the new Mel Gibson movie with 3 other guys from Ford, Jay took him back to the garage and showed them some of his auto collection.....
Old December 12th, 2006, 04:33 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Bryan, can you send me a couple of those trees you have growing in your yard? You know, the ones that grow money? I think they'd look nice down here. ;-)

Good luck with your sweet new Ford. And Range Rover. And D-90. And Mustang. And boats. lol
Old December 12th, 2006, 05:03 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverboy
Bryan, can you send me a couple of those trees you have growing in your yard? You know, the ones that grow money? I think they'd look nice down here. ;-)

Good luck with your sweet new Ford. And Range Rover. And D-90. And Mustang. And boats. lol

ha if you only knew. when I die I hope to come back as bryan tate.
Old December 12th, 2006, 06:39 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
Cummings

I like my Cummins I just hope the rest of the truck doesn't fall apart around it. The auto transmission is crap for hauling but hey it's what I got.
Old December 12th, 2006, 08:07 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

I tell you what Aaron...I'm kicking myself in the ass for all those years I wasted smoking dope and drinking Blackened Voo Doo while going to art school. (kick) I shoulda gone to dental school... (kick) I shoulda gone to dental school...

Bryan...post pics of your 90 already....Jeeze...
Old December 13th, 2006, 08:29 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
The cummins is nice the well driller I work with has one its got 343K on it, its had a couple transmissions and lots of brakes but its hard to beat the cummins. It would be nice to have it in a Silverado with the Allison transmission. The only trucks we use everyday are Chevrolets. And Ill say the Duramxa doesnt want any of the 8.1 V8
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:34 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Ok, Still working on the photos...(unless you can shrink them for me)
Tommy, The car swapping is from alot of sweat equity working in the garage, (and some in the mouth)
I just get lucky on some Horse trading.....

Tom, you know the deal. You have to sell a toy to get a toy. (the play money philosophy)
Make a 110 (and owe nothing on it)----trade the 110 dead even for a new RR sport. (still no car payment) Then trade the sport for a slightly used RR

So to keep it going I need to trade/sell the RR if I want a truck

The mustang story ...trade a Glock and a homebuilt Ar-15 for a '65 mustang fastback.
I strip it down over a few months, get the body shop to fix the rust, and get a sweet 351w built-up and began to reassemble the car.
Meantime, a local "One Tree Hill" star is looking for fastback. So, I trade it for a low mile, late 80's 911. He gives it to his Girlfriend/Future fiancee/future wife/now Ex-wife (all in 9 months) From there the car gets totally pimped out and is on MTV "My Life" and mentioned in several mags. I still see that red/white GT 350 cruising around town...I laugh at the rust bucket that it once was...
So, there is my justification...
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:41 AM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

LOL....Bryan, you are my hero man. I swear to God. I don;t know where you find the time...all this with a new baby to boot! I'm lucky if I find time to shower before 10:00 a.m. everyday.

You traded your mustang to that blonde kid? And now his hot little p.o.a. ex-wife is still driving it around town? Too funny. What mags was it in? I'd love to see it. I draw the line at watching "my life" though.

And before you trade in the RR, talk to me. I'm in the market for something else and I don't know what yet. I swore off LR's but you never know.

Now take some pics of the 90 dammit. With all that spare time you have you need to figure out how to shrink your pics. ;-)
Old December 16th, 2006, 07:01 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

pics as promised

Here she is finally
Attached Images

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags