Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 20th, 2012, 08:46 PM
StphNieuw
Stephan
Former owner of a 84 D90 RHD 2.5 NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij

Easier, yes, but the plaster and trim is amazing and I would like to save it. Basically the house has not been touched (other than keeping a roof on it) for 100 years. We are talking original sinks, toilets, closets with hooks in them rather than rods, etc.
Charm has its limitations, and also a big opportunity to go wrong. Trust me on that one, stuff normally breaks the 4th week after your moved in. Make sure you budget for stuff breaking. The difficulty often is finding matching parts, i.e. glass nob door handles, moldings etc.

Next time you are there check if any closets line up on each floor, when I was pulling new electrical line I was able to pull it from the panel in the basement to the 2nd floor via the closets on each floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2012, 09:09 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Got home too late for pictures.

I think it might be too much, but I will link the pictures when it hits MLS.

I am kicking myself for not doing a full price offer on the last one which had been redone.
Old May 20th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
grow a set Ron. You are young and can afford it-go for it (says the man camping/calling home a house dating to the 1790's)

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2012, 09:24 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ron, like others have said I definitely would not shy away from the project...as for a couple of other points brought up, I may have missed it but not totally sure where the house is. I assume it is in the Philly/DE area. Geothermal is a nice option but for that climate will really only benefit you in the summer time as the winters will be cold enough that you will need to supplement with oil, gas or electric heating which is more or less a pick your poison argument of cost vs benefits. Also, I agree that PEX would be a good system for you as the pipe runs can be continuous for longer lengths without the need to glue or solder joints. Many people are afraid of PEX because the problems it had 8-10 years ago but like many products outside of the Rover world, they have made great advances with the quality of the fittings and we are actually seeing it as the preferred material for new construction in many of our high rise applications locally. As for copper, don't bother...CPVC and PEX are easier and cheaper to install and offer the same, if not better, performance and lifespan, particularly in a house with minimal insulation.

As a general contractor by trade, I think that you are smart enough to handle managing the project yourself and saving that money but it would probably benefit you in the long run of both time and money to employ professionals for MEP (mechanical, electrical, plumbing) work. In something like this project it is not a bad idea to have an insured company performing the work, although I assume you will be carrying a separate builder's risk policy/rider. If you want a more economical way to go, ask around and you can probably find a crew of electricians and plumbers who will do work on the side. This may push your schedule a little longer but it really comes down to how you define value. Not sure about your jurisdiction but most will require a plumber's license number if you are modifying or adding plumbing to the house.
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:06 PM
evilfij
evilfij

It is on the main line so inspections out the wazoo and crazy money to get stuff done. All I really care about is the electrical, the plumbing, structural issues (seems to have none at the moment--I guess 2ft thick stone walls last), and roof (which seems to be dry albeit clearly leaked in the past).

I can do paint, plaster, framing, sink plumbing, shower plumbing, small electrical (although I forsee a 40k bill to get it all up to code with romex and a 400 or 600 amp service).
Old May 21st, 2012, 01:11 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Buy it Ron.

I'm actually just amused at how many of us have Rover money pits and house money pits. I've got a couple 1907 Coast Artillery officer's quarters out in WA and, though the initial build quality was amazing, so too are the costs for fixing every little thing. I love the places though, and that is about the only thing that keeps me from selling everything for loss and moving on!

Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:02 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

150 years old? There couldn't have been too many Civil War era houses that had electricity originally. (Edison himself was only 15 years old in 1862.) If it did I'd think it would have been a DC current system anyway. (AC current was first used in a large commercial scale at the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago, much to Edison's dismay.)

When was the electricity put in your house? The house I live in has an inspection sticker in the electric panel dated 1910 and still has the original solid copper wiring throughout it. We've been advised against tearing the quality copper wiring itself out. Assuming yours may have first been outfitted somewhere around the turn of the century, then you may have copper wiring running through it as well. Might be worth it to get some professional guidance and retain what you can.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:01 PM
evilfij
evilfij

It appears to be pre or circa WWI era.

Knob and tube. Some rooms do not even have outlets. It has twist or button switches for lights and some rooms do not even have lights.

As I understand it, all this stuff is fine for 15amp or below, but anything more and you have issues. The big issue is that it is all a mish-mash and I like things that plug into the wall.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:07 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
It appears to be pre or circa WWI era.

Knob and tube. Some rooms do not even have outlets. It has twist or button switches for lights and some rooms do not even have lights.

As I understand it, all this stuff is fine for 15amp or below, but anything more and you have issues. The big issue is that it is all a mish-mash and I like things that plug into the wall.
Don't get rid of those switches.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:26 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Don't get rid of those switches.
Why not?

I was planning on keeping them all in a box and hoarding like everything else (this place is a hoarder's paradise).
Old May 23rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

They are cool. They can be cleaned up, I have only seen them in use in one house in my town and I thought they where a nice touch.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 04:56 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

A few thoughts:

When I bought my 1938 Cape 10 years ago it was in similar shape. It took 2 weeks of monkeying around trying to pull cable behind molding before I said f it and tore out the walls. It took a year of doing it myself evenings and weekends, but at the end I rewired, re-plumbed, insulated, wall boarded, put in new HVAC including the ducting, etc and had essentially a new house. Anything less would have been a compromise and I would do it the same way again.

We put an addition on the house last year and I did the wiring and finish plumbing, floors and finish carpentry ourselves. That's the stuff that's easy to do and will save you real money. The wiring estimate was $12K, I did it myself in a weekend. Save wall board and insulation for the professionals.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:52 PM
usadventureracing
Brett

My house is from 1885, we have been living in it for 10 years and love it as old house have great character. We also put on an addition and I have done and still working on the finishing work, saved tons of money. I say go for it.
Old May 24th, 2012, 09:04 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
My house is 90 years old, I did alot of work but some was done before me.

Does the house have an open basement and attic? If so that will make your life alot easier as you can pull your electric up and down through them (limiting the amount of wall demo you have to do) ( you wont want to run plumbing in the attic obviously)

Side note -
knob and tube is actually a very efficient method to carry electricity, however once you start putting insulation and other crap around it it becomes very dangerous (its efficient b/c the lack of insulation on the wire helps it dissapate heat really well and thus you can carry more current through a smaller wire.

Plumbing wise, copper or PEX is fine. PEX is alot cheaper, and its very tough stuff (even if it is a plastic basically). With the price of copper these days its hard to justify it. You probaly have some galvanized piping which corrodes from the inside and really ruins water pressure (not to mention you should see how nasty the inside of a galv. pipe looks after just a few years.

Electric:
Get a new panel obviously, I'd even look into running a 200A service if your putting in Central Air down the road, its not a ton more $ Replace your panel with combo ARC fault breakers (especially in an old house, these sense and trip on small arcs (say from a picture nail in a wire) that might not trigger the breaker to trip on normal short circuit but are enough to start a fire. Also get a whole house surge protection in the panel (look into an Eaton | Cutler-Hammer panel with a CHSPT2ULTRA surge protector) http://www.eaton.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcS...=BR00404001EMy

I can get you a good price on one if you want (I work for Eaton)

My house is alot smaller, like 1500sq ft, so its hard to compare prices. But if I had to throw a number out there, with it all said and done I'd gues ~15-20K for the plumbing and electric by the time its all said an done.

------ Follow up post added May 24th, 2012 09:10 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
It is on the main line so inspections out the wazoo and crazy money to get stuff done. All I really care about is the electrical, the plumbing, structural issues (seems to have none at the moment--I guess 2ft thick stone walls last), and roof (which seems to be dry albeit clearly leaked in the past).

I can do paint, plaster, framing, sink plumbing, shower plumbing, small electrical (although I forsee a 40k bill to get it all up to code with romex and a 400 or 600 amp service).

Remember - there is new construction code and renovation code. What you dont touch DOESN't need to be brought up to current code. Also - renovation code is usually a lot less strict than new construction code.

a 400 or 600A servcie is overkill unless you are cooking meth in the basement Your never going to have every load in the house on at any one time. 200-225A service should be fine for 99% of people.
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:20 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Open basement, attic is actually a real third floor with 8ft ceilings. 15k-20k would be dirt cheap in my book. I was thinking 3x that for plumbing and electrical.
Old May 25th, 2012, 02:11 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Open basement, attic is actually a real third floor with 8ft ceilings. 15k-20k would be dirt cheap in my book. I was thinking 3x that for plumbing and electrical.
I don't think it would be that much. Maybe a little more than 20 but not nearly 3x as much
Old May 25th, 2012, 02:14 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Ok good news. I can dump 250k into this place and get it back out of it so ....
Old May 25th, 2012, 02:15 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Still no pics?
Old May 25th, 2012, 02:19 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Just came up on MLS

http://www.pennsylvaniahomes.com/del...6059193/photos

http://www.sawbuck.com/property/Phil...-833-Buck-Lane
Old May 25th, 2012, 02:32 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Wow you're right - it's like a living museum inside. Does the furniture come with it? I'm going to have to say that the new kitchen and bathrooms, etc. will be way more expensive than the electrical and plumbing will be for this one. Looks really cool - I thought it'd have more than an acre out in PA though!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat