Anyone own a Toyota MR2 Spyder? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 21st, 2017, 08:50 AM
CJ's FJ
CJ
1985 90

Registry
A client approached me yesterday morning about buying my BMW. I don't drive it much but had planned in keeping it forever. I don't need the car so I thought what the Hell, why not let him take it for the day. He contacted me in the afternoon and asked if he could give me cash and his Spyder for my F30. His car is red with a bunch of TRD stuff (not the body kit) and has 37,000 miles. I told him to bring it by and I'd drive it over the weekend. I ran a few errands with it last night and it's a fun little car and is easy to drive. I thought maybe I would give it to my wife. For those with experience with these cars, is there anything that I should know? I suppose I could join a Spyder forum but you know how weird people are are car forums . Thoughts?

BTW, he thinks his car is worth around 9-10K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2017, 11:04 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
MR2 Spyder = 1997 Toyota Corolla with no rear seats, a drop top, and the engine shoved in the back. Reliability is similar to a Corolla because it's basically....a Corolla. Except a lot less practical.

Compare it to a 90's Miata or a 4-cylinder Z3.

In terms of "value" or "equity of the trade" there's no use asking us.
Old October 21st, 2017, 11:19 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

If you don't use the BMW, you probably wont use the MR2 either.

Make it a straight cash deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2017, 11:46 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Mr2 is fun but Ive always prefered a miata after owning both. Parts are cheaper and easier to replace.
Old October 22nd, 2017, 01:52 PM
CJ's FJ
CJ
1985 90

Registry
Thanks guys. Who knew a rear engine two seat Corolla could be so fun. We took it and the Jeep to the park today as it may our last 75° day of the year.
My parents who are recently retired met us there. My Dad said that they have been looking for something like this (unbeknownst to me) and they have decided they want it...I guess that's that. Have a great weekend!
Old October 23rd, 2017, 06:45 AM
Orb
Ed
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ's FJ View Post
Thanks guys. Who knew a rear engine two seat Corolla could be so fun. We took it and the Jeep to the park today as it may our last 75° day of the year.
My parents who are recently retired met us there. My Dad said that they have been looking for something like this (unbeknownst to me) and they have decided they want it...I guess that's that. Have a great weekend!

They are going to love it! I've had mine since new in 2002 and it still gets more looks and compliments then any other vehicle my family has owned...including our NSX!

I've never had to put any more money into it other then usual maintenance items. If you put a cat back exaust system on it (I did and probably would not recommend it, minimal power gain but does reduce some weight) you will get check engine lights from the O2 sensors. There are work arounds but its a PITA to deal with.

If you take the Toyota badging off and get yourself the J-spec logo people go nuts trying to figure out what it is

Attached Images

Old October 23rd, 2017, 09:48 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I hope it turns out to be a good car for them. Personally, I would research it and other options thoroughly before committing to it. It’s better to make a well informed decsion rather than an impulse purchase. We had an 03 Z4 3.0i and it was a great car. Beautiful engine, great handling, and overall very refined. I suggest reading other forums to learn other people’s opinions. The people on the forum I’m linking suggest to also try a Honda S2000. It’s also pretty easy to find a roadster with low miles. Our Z4 had 16k miles.

Bmw Z4 Vs Toyota Mr2 Spyder - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
Old October 23rd, 2017, 10:28 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Honda S2000s are great... that would be my recommendation.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old October 24th, 2017, 07:07 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I like Honda’s and the s2000 would be my preference over a Miata.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat