Anyone order parts from Rimmer Bros? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 21st, 2015, 02:56 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Anyone order parts from Rimmer Bros?

I ordered a couple parts from Rimmer Bros and they shipped them 10 days ago. I haven't received them yet. I selected Royal Mail priority airmail and after they shipped they said there's no tracking number. That seems a bit odd to me. Every other Royal Mail parcel I've been mailed had a tracking number. The last one came from Britcar and it only took 3 days. Should I be concerned yet? It just worries me because the parts are very nearly NLA and now there might not be an opportunity to re-order them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2015, 03:23 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Same here. I ordered parts about 2 weeks ago and still waiting.
I've had other parts make it in a couple of days.
One thing wouldn't ship by air, so I figure I'll get it by summer. The brake accumulator for a RR.
Old February 21st, 2015, 03:36 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
I order from them often. Have some stuff coming soon. Did you email them to make sure it went out?
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2015, 03:37 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
Same here. I ordered parts about 2 weeks ago and still waiting.
I've had other parts make it in a couple of days.
One thing wouldn't ship by air, so I figure I'll get it by summer. The brake accumulator for a RR.
Good grief. That's like when they shipped my engine mounts via ocean from South Africa. It took 3 months. I hope yours don't take that long!

------ Follow up post added February 21st, 2015 12:40 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdread View Post
I order from them often. Have some stuff coming soon. Did you email them to make sure it went out?
I just emailed them today. The last time I emailed them it was the day they were going to ship them. This was their response: "Thanks for the email, your order should be despatched later today by air mail. Unfortunately this service does not have a tracking number, sorry."

It seems like I really had to be on top of them because I kept having to email them to make sure they were going to ship them.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 01:42 AM
gchinsr
Greg Chin Sr
1996 Discovery 5 Speed

If you ask for upgraded shipping, it comes UPS in 2-3 days tops. It is only 2-4 more for this service.
Greg
Old February 22nd, 2015, 02:21 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchinsr View Post
If you ask for upgraded shipping, it comes UPS in 2-3 days tops. It is only 2-4 more for this service. Greg
http://youtu.be/OCmuATH2yzo
Old February 22nd, 2015, 02:12 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
If you ask for upgraded shipping, it comes UPS in 2-3 days tops. It is only 2-4 more for this service.
Greg
No. I just checked and for this order UPS costs $21.04 more. That kind of negates my reason to order from a UK supplier vs. Rovers North.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 02:14 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
True. Uk as you'll see echoed repeatedly on this site is only worth it for group buys and/or large enough purchases to offset international shipping.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 02:20 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdread View Post
True. Uk as you'll see echoed repeatedly on this site is only worth it for group buys and/or large enough purchases to offset international shipping.
No. Shipping from the UK usually isn't much more than domestic shipping. For this order shipping was only 17.55. The total was $128. From Rovers North it would have been $174. That's about a $50 difference and that's for only 2 items.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 03:28 PM
gchinsr
Greg Chin Sr
1996 Discovery 5 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
No. I just checked and for this order UPS costs $21.04 more. That kind of negates my reason to order from a UK supplier vs. Rovers North.
Did you ask for UPS specifically, or did there offer for shipping upgrade? I have ordered a shite load of parts from Rimmer Bros, and upgrade they offer was always a few pounds more. Perhaps cost/services have changed since last shipment.
Greg
Old February 22nd, 2015, 05:20 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
No. Shipping from the UK usually isn't much more than domestic shipping. For this order shipping was only 17.55. The total was $128. From Rovers North it would have been $174. That's about a $50 difference and that's for only 2 items.
Now lets factor in the cost of customs duties on the import of auto parts....the worry waiting for intraceable parts....

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 07:24 PM
Cajun
G
1987 110

I don't think there is a duty for under $200 entries.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 07:26 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Now lets factor in the cost of customs duties on the import of auto parts....the worry waiting for intraceable parts....

...and the chance to talk to Zak on the phone while ordering your parts - priceless.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 07:47 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

RN is my goto, but I have used rimmer many times. I usually email the guy in the afternoon, by the time I wake up my card is charged and the parts are already at dispatched. Many times I get them within 48 hours of being ordered. They also do a substantial discount if you plan to order many parts, as well as RN.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 08:17 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
They also do a substantial discount if you plan to order many parts, as well as RN.
Wish I knew RN would do that after spending almost 3k over 2 months with them on my Alaska trip.... plus no mug... (I need to reach out to Zak and Jeff Aronson about that...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 01:30 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Did you ask for UPS specifically, or did there offer for shipping upgrade? I have ordered a shite load of parts from Rimmer Bros, and upgrade they offer was always a few pounds more. Perhaps cost/services have changed since last shipment.
Greg
I just went by what they quoted at checkout. I suppose I could have called them but the time zone difference makes it a bit inconvenient. They emailed me today and confirmed it was shipped on the 11th via airmail. I check the Royal Mail website and they must have sent it International Standard because that says "Formerly Airmail." That service does not have tracking, like they said. It says 5-7 working days. Today would be the 8th, or 7th if it actually went out the 12th. It didn't arrive today, but maybe it will tomorrow. Maybe it got held up in customs. I'll just be patient. I'm just really excited.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 01:43 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

That's cool RN offers discounts for large orders. I haven't been ordering anything from them because most of their prices seem heavily marked up, but they do seem to have a good price on the Exmoor Trim seat retrim kits, so I ordered a set. They guy I talked to was very kind and he combined them for a shipping discount. I also ordered a new upper dash crash pad from them and they discounted the shipping on that too. Super nice. I tried ordering one from Merriam Land Rover and they said it's NLA, which is too bad because they wanted about $200 vs. $300 at RN. I called a supplier in the UK and they confirmed it's obsolete. When I ordered it last week RN said they have 4 coming in Tuesday (tomorrow). So if you want one you better hurry!
Old February 25th, 2015, 02:05 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

My package arrived! So I guess if you select royal mail from Rimmer Bros there's nothing to worry about. Details in my build thread.
Old February 25th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Wish I knew RN would do that after spending almost 3k over 2 months with them on my Alaska trip.... plus no mug... (I need to reach out to Zak and Jeff Aronson about that...)
No sightings mugs allowed! But yes, I always give discounts to friends and frequent customers.
Old March 1st, 2015, 12:10 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Three weeks. That's for the RR tailgate cables. They arrived today.

Still waiting for the brake accumulator.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
part, parts