Anyone near Portland? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 1st, 2017, 07:25 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

Anyone near Portland?

I have a car my gf is interested in I found for sale there and was wondering if anyone could check it out for me in person.
FL to Oregon is a bit of a drive for me.

Thanks!

Cliff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2017, 11:22 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
I'm in Portland and could check it out although my knowledge is limited to 90, 110 and d1 but I could put eyes on it for you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BUY SOME HATS --->

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 2nd, 2017, 12:23 AM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

Sent you a PM, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2017, 01:00 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

There are some mobile inspection services available. I don't know how thorough they are. A carfax is helpful. If it has always been in the west it probably doesn't have any rust issues.
Old August 2nd, 2017, 01:08 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

This is in Camas

Ive seen the carfax, one owner, looks good.
Just want someone to put eyes on it, and maybe even handle the sale.

Ive never bought a car across the country before, how best to handle the transaction, get title, take possession other than in person?
Old August 2nd, 2017, 03:21 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
I bought a couple of Porsches long-distance. Had them inspected & shipped to me. Worked out great. If you ship, I recommend Montway. They are a shipper, not a broker- and provided excellent service.

Hope it works out!
Old August 2nd, 2017, 11:37 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

Well this sucks.
Emailed the guy, agreed to his price, asked him where the car could be seen, which he didnt even give me until 11am this morning EST.
He said we had a deal, I specifically asked that we did and he said ok.

Spent time today transferring money so I could wire to him once my friend who was taking off work early as a favor to go see it for me gave the ok this evening, multiple quotes for shipping..
Hours of my time today and then at 4pm he emails me and says, "sorry, sold it".

What the ****.... wasted my, my friends, the shipping co's time at best.

Looked like just what I was looking for, but how can you buy a car in less than a day across the country? Especially when the seller acts like this?

I did reply to him that I was "displeased" at best.

Think Im going to put this on the back burner until the end of the year. Last year a ton were for sale in December.
Have to say I am a bit PO'd.
Old August 2nd, 2017, 11:53 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
That's just a crap move on the seller's behalf. Happened to me as well, but I was able to guilt the guy back into our deal.

There was no way you could have operated any faster without taking on total loss risk! Just BS. Sorry man. What was the vehicle and we can keep an eye out?

Also was doing a ppi for a member in Portland last spring. Was a HD LR4 and had sat on the lot for 2 months. Member found it and I was there the very next day. As I arrived, it left for a test drive. I waited around to see if their credit was fair enough. What a bummer that it was ;-)
Old August 3rd, 2017, 12:01 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

That does suck. It's too bad you encountered a bad seller. A friend of mine recently arranged to purchase a vehicle across country and the seller held it for almost a month on good faith without a deposit until he could fly out to pick it up. It worked out well for him. Hopefully you'll find a good seller like that.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 01:42 AM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

Yeah, this guy was a Dr supposedly...

The car she wants (dont laugh) is a 2005 Chrysler Sebring Convertible Limited, dark Gray metallic, under 65k miles with light colored interior.
No accidents
No rental history
All options
Full service history

This one was a one owner as well with clean carfax, and... he wanted $3600 for it!
I guess thats why it sold so damn fast.

They only made that color in 2005, and maybe 1 out of 500 you see are that color.
Ones you do see seem to be former rentals, beat up, a billion miles...
In a year of her looking, this is the 2nd one found. The other ones paint was poor.

Wasnt allot of money, but Im cautious and not going to wire money unless someone I know sees it in person to verify.
The pics were sweet.

Here in FL crap is selling for twice that.

So if anyone comes up with that car on craigslist or anywhere please let me know!
Old August 3rd, 2017, 02:58 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
That's a tricky set of parameters for a 2005, but imho the best looking Sebring body style. I only found one at 80k that fits, but I'm sure you've seen it, and many others, five ways from Friday. And although I'd prefer a hardtop convertible, the body style they were finally available on was a bit too crossfire.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 03:05 AM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

She wants it since it has more room than the newer ones, and tons compared to any newer convertible. Has a trunk that can fit some luggage too.

We had wanted to plan a trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway this fall in it should we find one.

I did the entire length of it, including the Shannandoah part back in 1992 in my Porsche 928.
Was allot of fun, but that road is better suited for top down cruising to really enjoy it.

She is open to black metallic or inferno red if she has to, but they are a distant 2nd choice.

There is one 2004 Limited in inferno red with only 6k miles on it in Chicago and they want a crazy $13k+ for it.

Where did you find the 80k mile one?
Old August 3rd, 2017, 03:20 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Minnesota:

http://www.acmotorsminnesota.com/veh...5906&version=2

Also a black one just listed at 41k still too fresh for an image.

http://www.redhoagland.com/VehicleSe...ts?search=used
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-752645714.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	277418  
Old August 3rd, 2017, 02:46 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

Thanks for those, need a Limited since they have the heated seats, traction control and autostick.
Sometimes the Touring has one of those, but Ive never seen a Touring with all 3
Old August 4th, 2017, 01:30 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Has she considered other convertibles? She could get a BMW or Mercedes of similar vintage that has those features for similar money. Much better quality cars. Don't be afraid of higher miles if it's been well maintained and cared for.
Old August 4th, 2017, 01:45 AM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

for $3600?

I didnt mean $36,000

Since we plan to drive it up the parkway and eventually a roadtrip out west, we want something any shop can fix cheaply should something go wrong. Some have water pump issues at around 75k miles, thus wanting something under that. Leaks into the oil and causes sludge which kills the engine.

I can fix just about anything, but on the road would be at the mercy of mechanics.
Thats why Im going LS in the D90, a few times on my trips from FL to CO and WY I had something that needed replacing, and one time had to have it shipped from the UAE!

Most dont have the trunk and interior room of the Sebring. We have sat in allot of convertibles and while we dont "love" the car, it has the most room, most trunk space and best mileage out of anything we can find. For the money, if well maintained you cant beat it. After 2006 they got smaller.

I had rented a ton of them over the years out west and they did great for hitting national parks etc.

She would love a 2013 SL63 in white, but not as a travel car.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat