Anyone know what happened to George? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 11th, 2015, 09:30 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

George just needed to go down a different path. While I have no idea how much stock he had but glad it's at Safarihp. They've always done good in my book.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2015, 11:39 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I wondered how long George would keep up what was basically a one-man enterprise run for his own amusement. I bought some stuff from him a month or so ago and now I'm really glad I did! Glad to see Steven has been successful enough to buy George out and let him move on. Hopefully Stephen will adopt some of George's "best practices" by periodically mailing out complementary Cajun care packages and keeping margarita machines running in the office.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 12th, 2015, 07:19 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Wow, that was fast. I just spoke to him about two weeks ago. Funny story. He answered the phone and said he was John. I laughed and went along with it. He confessed later as we were putting the order together he wasn't John and said he has to screen his calls sometimes cause he gets too many Boner Pill salesman calling him these days.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2015, 08:56 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
George was the king of caller id. He used to answer my calls "US Customs".
Early on in our relationship when I was fixing my NAS 90 up after a tumble I called to buy something and he said
"yeah I have it but you don't want to buy it from me, call up TNTLR and buy it from Bill, he's $x cheaper".
Always a trip to work with.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old May 12th, 2015, 09:28 AM
WildBoar
Derek Borror
109 withdrawals filled by a 110

Registry
George was "rarer than rocking horse $hit" and it was always entertaining when discussing parts with him on the phone. Hope he is doing well these days.
Old May 12th, 2015, 09:48 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

George use to answer the phone "Portsmouth Naval Hospital" when I called.
He would sometimes tell me not to buy a part from him because it was "ridiculously expensive" in his opinion.
Like UD stated, George would often keep up with who was doing what and give all sorts of advice on where to locate a part or service in the community.

If someone called up bad mouthing another parts supplier, George would "egg them on" and after they were finished tell them that he would love to help solve their parts supplier issues, but he wasn't taking on any new customers.
A take off on an MD not taking any new patients.
When the caller would ask why, George would tell them that he needed a certain amount of time to allocate to each customer and just couldn't provide the best service if he had too many, especially ones that took up a lot of his time talking trash about his competitors.

George has a very nicely warped sense of humor, that often requires concentration.
Sometimes he would ask "tell me your latest goober story, Robert you go first because mine will be just as good".

I'll leave the Smedley Feathermore story for Bobeck to tell while sitting around the campfire.

I hope George is well and happy, living a very long pleasant life...
A true icon in the USA realm of Land Rover parts logistics.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old May 12th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
hahaha - for me it was always "Immigration & Deportation" - loved speaking with him, even though he was always busy he would sit on the phone and swap a yarn or two about some innocuous thing.

Fair Winds and Following Seas mate.
Old May 12th, 2015, 10:49 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Man this thread is sounding too much like a Eulogy...
Old May 12th, 2015, 11:58 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I remember one time I called from my work number and he answered saying that he was some kind of classified facility. I was like, "huh?"

We had a good laugh afterwards .
Old May 12th, 2015, 12:05 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Man this thread is sounding too much like a Eulogy...
George is leaving the community in that his business has closed.
That means we may never speak to him again.. a eulogy of sorts is what's happening.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old May 12th, 2015, 12:27 PM
rtgoldenb
Tyler
1997 D90 NAS

Registry
I was just over at George's house on Friday picking up a new brake master cylinder. He was leaving for a 40 mile evening cycle.

Interestingly enough, my buddy had this card left on his white d90 in the Quarter...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7254.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	120491  
Old May 12th, 2015, 12:30 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Bah! Now where do I get my Russian tractor parts from?
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old May 12th, 2015, 01:43 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

The end of an era. Such a bummer. Every time I called George, he had some funny fake business he'd answer with and it would always throw me for a second, make me look down at my phone to see who I'd mis-dialed. Long before Defenders NW and SafariHP existed, he was the man for hard-to-find Defender parts. I'm sad to see him gone but hope he's enjoying himself. Knowing George, I'm sure he is.

/
/
/
/
Old May 12th, 2015, 03:03 PM
willr
WILL RAGSDALE
NONE

Rds

I hated to hear the news, I have enjoyed dealing with George over the years. He has always been a great source for parts and info and he is a funny guy. Hopefully, he is moving on to better things. I am glad to hear that RDS is being bought by Safari HP. Stephen and his folks are a great resource.
Old May 12th, 2015, 03:38 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

After a 3am blowout with a grossly overloaded truck myself and Bryce have finally arrived back in Orlando.

George has been a great mentor to me over the years and is someone that I respect deeply. We've been discussing a buyout for some time and I am thankful that we were is a position to make this move happen.

In good fashion George took great care of us while there and we left nothing but a few shreds of paper behind.

As soon as we get the truck unloaded we'll be in business as RDS Parts Inc. The web site will be back soon and we'll be working towards moving the parts side of our house into RDS Parts.

As for George he is going back to being a rodeo clown with Landers acting as a booking agent.

More to follow as we get everything unpacked and into inventory.

Big thank you for all the phone calls from the community wishing us well on this endeavor. As for our off time in The Quarter we did every tourist thing we could squeeze in.

And NO I did not take a picture of George as I know better.

------ Follow up post added May 12th, 2015 03:39 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtgoldenb View Post
I was just over at George's house on Friday picking up a new brake master cylinder. He was leaving for a 40 mile evening cycle.

Interestingly enough, my buddy had this card left on his white d90 in the Quarter...
We happened to be standing in line for a tour and he was parked there.

Old May 12th, 2015, 03:43 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Congrats Stephen, I really happy to see a hand off between two great guys. You'll carry the torch well.

And you don't need a picture of George. This is him:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2486367273.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	120513  

Old May 12th, 2015, 04:04 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I think Land Rover must have heard George was retiring and that was the sole reason they decided to start the LR Heritage Division. That and the plan I have to finally get back going on my Series IIA restoration - George probably figures he's gotten enough of my money over the years and doesn't need any more. George if you're reading this I hope you realize how much everyone in our little community has enjoyed working with you over the years - your encyclopedic knowledge of these weird boxy little British workhorses has helped all of us tremendously. That and the sudden turn that any phone conversation with you is liable to take - proof that you can run a business and have some fun at the same time. I've enjoyed spending time and money with you.

Safari HP has some very big desert boots to fill. George is a rock star in the Land Rover world.
Old May 12th, 2015, 04:10 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I wish I knew you guys were going to be in town. I think a member from Tejas was in New Orleans this weekend as well as I. I hope you got to see the sights. Here is one pic that should be safe here that I took from Sunday afternoon.

Name:	image-3585602370.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	379.4 KB
ID:	120514
Old May 12th, 2015, 04:25 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Congrats to both of you. Sounds like it will work out well for everyone.
Old May 12th, 2015, 04:50 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I wish I knew you guys were going to be in town. I think a member from Tejas was in New Orleans this weekend as well as I. I hope you got to see the sights. Here is one pic that should be safe here that I took from Sunday afternoon.

Attachment 120514
You mean this chick......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pasties.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	120515  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat