Anyone Know this Truck - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 18th, 2006, 04:28 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Anyone Know this Truck

A buddy of mine is thinking about looking at this truck http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...30201215QQrdZ1 and I wanted to know if anyone had first hand knowledge. One question that I have is on the 1 (175) of 500 and the SW on the LR badge. Was there some subset of the 95s that came is as a numbered SW and does this mean that this has been converted to ST?

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2006, 04:41 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

It means it has been converted.
Likely a wreck rebuilt as a ST instead of a SW.

and that is a replacement speedo

The font is different on the replacements vs. the originals.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old September 18th, 2006, 04:50 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Mike what exactly is different on the speedos?

I would be wary of this truck... It is a convert which is fine... but the seller does too seem to be straight forward about it.

for this price too... dunno???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2006, 04:51 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

You could ask a dealership to run the vin and see what they tell you what it is, SW or ST. It could have been rebadged or as mike said, rebuilt. Also a carfax report will most likely confirm the speedo replacement in addition to what the milage may be if thats not the true milage.

If it was a SW, I would also look for the rear seat supports under the rear wheel wells, and if they did remove them, the pillar support bracket will still half be on the rear pillar however, i dont know if this is a stock pillar common to both the SW and ST.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old September 18th, 2006, 04:53 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
thats posted in the forsale section on this BB
Old September 18th, 2006, 04:53 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

also looks like a 1994 cage and doors. the belt rail should be painted body color not black.

If its a ST i dont think it should have cloth seats.

Is that a rip in the body near the tail light?
Old September 18th, 2006, 04:54 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
Mike what exactly is different on the speedos?

I would be wary of this truck... It is a convert which is fine... but the seller does too seem to be straight forward about it.

for this price too... dunno???
The seller is a D-90 member, not that it doesn't make her dishonest, however...why don't you guys just ask her...she might not know.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=9357
Old September 18th, 2006, 04:55 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=9357
Old September 18th, 2006, 05:05 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx25
The seller is a D-90 member, not that it doesn't make her dishonest, however...why don't you guys just ask her...she might not know.
Your right... no dishonesty implied, she may not know about the conversion also didn;t know she was a member not that it changes anything just she shoud be given the oppertunity to respond. IMO I would asks some questions before buying...thats all.
Old September 18th, 2006, 08:46 PM
klcarvalho
Kelly Carvalho
1995 Defender 90 ST White

I knew/know nothing about cars, but I knew what a Defender 90 was and wanted one. I was bored so I decided to look for one. After having a dealer sell one out from under me I looked on eBay and found a seller outside San Francisco with a soft top one that had less than 38K miles at a "Sell it Now" price of $25,000. I bought it at that price thinking it was a great deal because of the low miles, perfectly clean CarFax, told absolutely no rust, and the mechanic that inspected it there listed no issues that were material in my mind. Neither that mechanic or the Land Rover Dealer in Tulsa (nor Midas, Firestone, etc) have ever said anything about this ST/SW issue. I don't know a thing about it...I'm still confused. I put SW on my original sale on this site because that's what the plaque thing on the back said and on my revised listing noted that I'm supposed to call it an ST. I can try looking under the rear wheel wells, but I don't know what to look for. I don't know about the door or seats either (I know there are no problems with either though...seats are in better shape than most photos I've seen, but I know that's not this particular issue). I can only guess that a speedo refers to a speedometer...no friggin clue about the times new roman, arial, etc bit?

I am happy to oblige those who have speculated here by putting whatever disclaimer is most truthful. I will not however say that it has been wrecked/rebuilt unless there's a way to show it absolutely, with evidence, did happen...and thus that I got hosed the first time around.

I am happy also to provide a cut-and-paste of the CarFax to whoever wants it...sure isn't much help to me.

My listing was incredibly detailed and forthright, but limited to my limited knowledge. My price was high originally because I wasn't in a hurry and what the hell right, why not make what I can off it if both parties think it's fair...the price has come down with time (which is why this whole thread started). I will list whatever is most fair and I will respect the opinions of those in the know (as I was an ignorant pleasure seeker).

I am thankful that "themaxx25" had the virtue and character not no assume that it was right to attack mine from the start.

I will wait to revise my ads per the follow-up this response generates. I may also take the D90 off both sales only because I was just sold a Viper that will likely need a new transmission after just three drives since I purchased it from a seller on eBay who mostly likely absolutely screwed me. Don't worry, I'll note the repair if I sell it.
I hope that those of you who think I'm not "straight forward" will take comfort in both the suffering of that cost and whatever effect this ST/SW bit has on my other sale...victim of both, punished by both, and at this point I'm just numb (I don't much care at this point). I apologize for my lack of brevity and my defensive tone.

Personally, I think it's a great car and as a driver/owner I don't give a ____ about what two letters belong on it. As a seller, I'll do what is best for next driver/owner.

Mr. Kelly L Carvalho
Old September 18th, 2006, 09:03 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

It was a Wagon at some point. The tub has the Wagon hardware, etc.
Incorrect rivets in the trim and badge point to repaint, etc.
Ask a lot of questions. Not that anyone is being dishonest, some folks got taken when they bought the 90 and don't know better. They may have just wanted a ST instead.
I'm just saying what I see form the images, not accusing anyone of anything.

The font on the odometer is different, more rounded on the replacements, and quite blocky on the originals. Here is an original, view it next to the replacement.

Follow-up Post:

BTW... CarFax is a joke.
My wife rolled my 97 D90. Insurance claim on it an everything. We rebuilt it into a 110... CarFax report... clean. I told the buyers what we had done and they were cool with it, but CarFax.... total rip off IMO.
See it all the time, rebuild,m roll over fire damage wrecked 90s and 110s... all with clean Car Fax.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09385.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	6808   Click image for larger version

Name:	09_12.JPG.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	6809  

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old September 18th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

Here's a great reference: '95 Defender 90 Station Wagons According to the vin, it was originally a wagon.

Here's the main page: NAS Defender VINs

You can send the site owner an email if you want to update your vehicle's information.

~Art Vigil
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Old September 18th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Monkeyboy

Facinating thread. I've sent update info on '97 SW #0139 .. since its here .. no updates show on the site
Old September 19th, 2006, 01:20 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I seem to recall seeing this truck when I was looking for a 90, and passing up on it immediately because carfax said something along the lines of it have 3-4x the miles of what the speedo said. If I recall correctly, the photo Kelly is using as a avatar was actually a photo used when that truck was originally listed for sale last year.
Old September 20th, 2006, 12:30 AM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

+1 on the carfax issue. My '97SW had over $20K of work done to it after the rollover and has a squeaky clean carfax report.

As did my last BMW after it got sandwiched between two cars thanks to a 16 year old ona cell phone.
Old October 25th, 2006, 09:21 PM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

viN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vigil
Here's a great reference: '95 Defender 90 Station Wagons According to the vin, it was originally a wagon.

Here's the main page: NAS Defender VINs

You can send the site owner an email if you want to update your vehicle's information.

~Art Vigil
Good to know, I found my Vin and it is what is sais it is... monza red like it began...
that is a really good site...thanks for finding it.
-J
Old October 25th, 2006, 09:59 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
It was a Wagon at some point. The tub has the Wagon hardware, etc.
Incorrect rivets in the trim and badge point to repaint, etc.
Ask a lot of questions. Not that anyone is being dishonest, some folks got taken when they bought the 90 and don't know better. They may have just wanted a ST instead.
I'm just saying what I see form the images, not accusing anyone of anything.

The font on the odometer is different, more rounded on the replacements, and quite blocky on the originals. Here is an original, view it next to the replacement.

Follow-up Post:

BTW... CarFax is a joke.
My wife rolled my 97 D90. Insurance claim on it an everything. We rebuilt it into a 110... CarFax report... clean. I told the buyers what we had done and they were cool with it, but CarFax.... total rip off IMO.
See it all the time, rebuild,m roll over fire damage wrecked 90s and 110s... all with clean Car Fax.
I gotta tell ya, I just dont see the difference in the font. I keep going back and forth and it all looks the same to me. If there is a difference it is very subtle.
Old October 25th, 2006, 10:25 PM
UpnOver
David Williams
'97 Yellow ST

Your right I can't see either. Especially since the pictures are at different view. One is zoomed in and the others not.
Old October 26th, 2006, 09:36 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I'm not feeling the love from Carfax either. I signed up for an account the other day to run the VIn on my yellow crisper and surprised to see it shows nothing at all relating to the fire.

Follow-up Post:

Actually now that I think of it, they didnt report the odometer change either.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat