Anyone know about early 911 or 912 porsches - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 24th, 2008, 02:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Anyone know about early 911 or 912 porsches

There is a local 912 that I looked at this morning and I am mulling it over. Would love to chat with anyone who is really familiar with them. Really looking for what is a fair price.

Best,

Ron
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2008, 02:50 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Ron, how long do you think you can own an early Porche before swapping it end for end?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 24th, 2008, 05:04 PM
BCR
Brian Richardson
Need a D90 Tdi

I had a few early Porsche's last one was 69 911 Targa - sold it and got back into 4x4s cause it was a very costly hobby

912s are not much cheaper to maintain or fix than 911s also check front pan for rust were suspension bolts up, are tends to collect moisture & rust from inside down.
Graduate of Del Albright's RLTC course
Just Good Trails - Trail Boss
Tread Lightly - Tread Trainer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
912's have the same engine as my '64 356. Very solid engine and low maintainance. Never driven a 912, but if it is anything like a 356 it will be a blast.
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I drove a couple of 912's and they were real dogs.

I owned two Carrera 2 Turbo's (90's version of the 930) and loved them. Anyone into sports cars should do the 911 thing. Its a right of passage.

Jim- I swapped one end for end for end for end @ triple digit speed. Mid life crisis over back to rovers for me.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 24th, 2008, 07:17 PM
JJB622
Jimmy Baker
1997 BRG D90

I love the 993, and dream of getting a signal green 964
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/256/2prya1wzf6.jpg

There's a fair amount of overlap between LR and Porsche- a good amount of people over on rennlist have RR's, and a few have even had NAS 90's

Sorry I couldn't provide any helpful info; I think you should venture into the world of porsche though.
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

RON,

I am the original owner of a 1993 911 RS America. If you were looking at THAT model - I would give it a HUGE thumbs up. I am also the original owner of this 1995 D-90. Guess I hang on to my cars a while

The Defender and the 911 could not be much more opposites in how they preform. They were my only two cars for many years.........I got so used to LEFT HAND IGNITION that I would have trouble getting the key into a normal car

So my 911 is not an OLD old Porsche like you are looking at.........but I will say that I have LOVED my 911 for the 15+ years I have owned it. I could go on and on about this - but now this is a Land Rover Forum, right? The Porsche people in the club, and on chat pages, are very much like us Land Rover people and just as excited about their car and very helpful too.

I think Rennlist is the best Chat Forum for Porsche. Then have a section devoted to the 912. I would get on this page and start asking questions! Good luck. Here is a link......

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/

Hope this helps..........Flagg
Old April 24th, 2008, 11:17 PM
karlusmagnus
Karl O'Donoghue
71SiiA

Ron, you could start with the 912 Registry.
http://www.912registry.org/
All things 912 (same as 911 but 4cyl engine). Often the RS clones use 912 tubs as a base (because its cheaper to buy a 912) upon which to create their period correct hot rod.
Then you could check things out on early 911s registry. I am a member here (same handle as on d90) and it is a great resource. Here is a search for all things 912 in title
http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...earchid=272889

Also you have the pelican parts forum, which is vast and encompasses a wide range of topics on 911's of all types
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/forum...p?s=&forumid=8
I also hang out there quite a bit.

As Flagg mentioned, you also have rennlist and I go there as well for info etc.

For your possible 912, if there was no rust, it would be worth pursuing. At the very least there would be plenty people to take the tub off of you in order to build a 911R or 911ST or 911RS.

There is a 911 for sale now for $200k+ which has 1968 race history in the TransAm series, it was run by privateers. The 1st race was Sebring and they crashed the car, and used a 912 tub to rebuild (even in 1968 it would have been cheaper for them to do that, and as privateers their budgets were limited). From that point on, they won 6/8 races. This is the Tony Adamowicz car. Adamowicz has since removed himself from advocating anything woth regard to this car, as he had a disagreement with the restoration shop and the owner of the car at that time.
I digress. But point is that it was a 912 tub.

Anyway, not having driven the 912, I have heard that they were very light and nimble compared to the 911.
I have a 73 Targa, and it is great fun indeed.
At least go for a test drive.

All these cars I refer to are longhoods or pre 1974 cars, before the advent of big bumpers.
The 1993 RS America is another story. Wicked car. Absof**king-lutely wicked.
Are we allowed asterisk our conversations here?

Oh, and Robert Redford had a green one in Spy Game!

BTW, this weekend one of the largest Porsche swap meets in the world is on at Hershey PA.
Swap on saturday and auto-X on Sunday.
I'll be going down Fri evening.
Always lots of cars and a bunch for sale too, of all types. Worth a trip if you were serious about checking out all possibilities.

All the best,

Karl.
Old April 25th, 2008, 01:59 AM
evilfij
evilfij

JimC: almost made it a year without wrecking the lotus and have not done it yet :-). I "almost" well not really, swapped ends on the test drive. Hit a "little" gravel and drifted around a turn because I forgot manual brakes are not "quite" as good as lotus brakes so I went into the turn a little fast (no I did not lift!).

The guy is asking 7k for it.

The pans look solid. D/s floor has been patched (1ft x1ft or so and looks like a decent job) and I found a couple spots that were soft (one small one by the gas pedal and one by the tube for the headlights). The biggest rust spots are the bottoms of the front fenders. Both will need patches (D/S has been patched but was done poorly).

The good news is that it runs like a top. Guy says it has an engine out of a 67 that he went over. Leaks a little. New tires, new exhaust, new conversion to dual circuit master, new tires.

The bad news is the paint is horrible. A 20 year old repaint that is nasty, but the interior and door jams (original paint) is really nice. All the rubber seals are shot, interior is about a 7 (all there and pretty nice but seat springs worn, no radio etc.)

It is a "3 gauge painted dash" 1965 with the 4 speed -- no 5 speed :-(

My dream car growing up was a 1976 turbo carrera, but now I only like the non-bumper cars. Unfortunatly, without galvanized tubs, almost all around here are rusted away or hacked back together.

I may offer 5k-5500 and see if he bites, but I really want to know what is a decent price (keeping with my cheap bastard ways) but I also know that, worse than defenders, there are not a lot of these around.

Ron

BTW: Looks like I am driving to Hershey this weekend (barring work emergency). PM me your info Karl and I will meet up with you. Thanks. Look for a puke/baby shit green lotus driven by a somewhat large man wearing a brightly colored lilly pullitzer polo shirt.

Flagg: If you want to part with the 93 RS america, I am all ears. I went to the dealer and was like, sell me a new GT3 for sticker, they told me no. I said, do you ever think they will make another RS america, they said no. I said, well get me an 08 C2 with no options (sorry allocation gone). How about an 09? (no order info yet). I have not seen an RS america for sale in years.

Follow-up Post:

BTW part 2: they also made 912s in the late 60s in a color very similar to the lotus autumn gold I have. If it were that color, I would have cut him a check sight unseen.
Old April 25th, 2008, 07:05 AM
karlusmagnus
Karl O'Donoghue
71SiiA

PM sent.

BTW, that autumn gold looks like Chartreuse to me, a greenish color which is gordeous in person.
Or Sambezi Green perhaps.
Old April 25th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110

Jim- I swapped one end for end for end for end @ triple digit speed. Mid life crisis over back to rovers for me.
I swapped ends in the 356 years ago at 100mph while racing my buddy in a BMW (young and dumb days). I got VERY lucky and screeched backwards halfway up someones driveway and did not make contact with anything. Lessons learned that night: one. never be so stupid again. two. never let off the throttle while in the middle of a sweeping cuve in a rear engined car
Old April 25th, 2008, 10:22 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Karl,

YOu will see it in the parking lot at hershey tomorrow.

Ron
Old April 25th, 2008, 11:30 AM
94Rover
KCB
NONE

Please elaborate more regarding the Porsche event tomorrow and Sunday. I am looking for something auto related to do this weekend and as much as I love Porsche the above mentioned event sounds great....

it's not an event limited to Porsche owners exclusively is it?
Old April 25th, 2008, 01:48 PM
evilfij
evilfij

http://www.cpa-pca.org/swap/

I am just going to drive down and show up and see what there is to see.

Ron
Old April 25th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Hershey

If you are anywhere near Hershey tomorrow - and into Porsches - you should go.

If the weather is nice it is the largest annual all Porsche event on the East Coast. My RS will be there. You will not miss it if you walk through the Porsches. Here is some shots................don't look for the plate - my club put the 0000 plate on to try to get cover shots for their magazine. I also will not have the green/black whees on. But I wanted to show my car when I drive it on the street, or the track / autoX.

1993 RSA, Black, no sunroom, no decals, SS rool bar..............that should go a long way toward you spotting my car. But there might be 6-700 other cars! Perhaps see people tomorrow.

I love my Porsche, and the club, and people that love them, just as much as my Land Rover........They are both such opposites - but each have so much heritage, function, design, and ability at what they are designed to do.................

Flagg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AutoX-01.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	13080   Click image for larger version

Name:	boats.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	13081  

Old April 25th, 2008, 03:40 PM
evilfij
evilfij

So is the 912 worth 7k?

Dare I bring my checkbook to hershey?
Old April 25th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I can't say weather the 912 is worth 7K. Have not seen it, don't know the market value. Start asking on these web pages, and ask around at Hershey.

Leave your checkbook at home. Research the Porsche you want carefully. Do not jump in to anything. Don't buy ANYTHING without a pre-purchase inspection. Just like Land Rovers - you want to know what you are getting into.

If you see something you love - take some photos - and get the number. If you love it, it can't be that far, because everyone drove there.........

Flagg
Old April 26th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Bringing your checkbook sounds like something I'd do (done it)... now I recommend taking flagg's advice.
Old April 29th, 2008, 10:58 AM
94Rover
KCB
NONE

http://www.cpa-pca.org/swap/

How was the event? I didn't get to go, and the weather Saturday was GREAT! I was on the phone all morning Saturday trying to find someone to ride with me (all Porsche junkies like me) and everyone wanted to go but just couldn't get away. Even @ noon on Saturday I was still trying to figure out a way to justify driving to Hershey.
Old April 29th, 2008, 11:39 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Weather was good, people were nice. I saw a decent delaware plated orange early 911 and a cool green 356 but I bought neither. Porsche people are even weirder than rover folks so I fit in ok.

Ron

Follow-up Post:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=356237

Coolest thing I have seen in porsches. Owned by a D-90 source member. Scroll to post 7.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat