Anyone Import+Register in CT? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 9th, 2015, 02:55 PM
sp543
Shawn
None

Anyone Import+Register in CT?

Have been using temp tags while trying to permanently register my 1985 110. Has anyone registered a defender they imported in the state of Connecticut? I guess it is considered a grey market vehicle, so I was told it needs a safety inspection (which should only apply to vehicles younger than 25 years i would think). But on the DMV website it states that a VIN verification is the only thing needed for vehicles over 25 years old and being DOT/EPA exempt, not sure why the safety inspection is necessary. Have gone to the local DMV without inspection lanes/services twice and no one can give me a concrete answer, so I am trying to find someone who has actually done it who can give me insight. I am 1.5 hours+ away from a DMV location with the inspection services, so rather avoid that drive and those associated costs if possible.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2015, 03:40 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

PM Sent.
Old June 9th, 2015, 07:16 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
I have registered quite a few imports. Take all import docs (DMV, EPA, clearances, bill of lading and such), foreign title, foreign bill of sale, proof of duty paid on entering, and proof of insurance. You must do a Vin verification only, some tell you it has to be in Wethersfield because they don't really know so easier to just do a vin verification there while still on temp. plates. I warn you though for one of my trucks the Wethersfield office wanted my Foreign title translated, by their approved translators. I just went to my local branch and got someone who did not ask about a translation and all was fine. If from UK obviously that would not matter. You will not have an inspection and you will be exempt from emmissions testing. Also register it with the Early American plates as soon as possible where they cap your taxable value for the vehicle at $500. I learned this the hard way just because I did not want "Early American" on my British vehicle. The process is not hard but could vary on which branch you go to. What's your closest branch?

Also when you do get your title check it over really well. One diesel truck was printed as gas and 8 cylinders on the title and I had to send away for the correction.
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2015, 07:24 PM
sp543
Shawn
None

Theres another branch closer by about 45 min., will try another VIN inspection location to see if they are familiar with them. If not, it's somewhat on my way to Wethersfield so not a huge deal if I end up having to go there. Thanks for the info and insight.
Old June 9th, 2015, 08:11 PM
damiensdad
Sean Piendel
1966 Series IIa 88"

Registry
Connecticut has switched to "Classic Vehicle" as opposed to "Early American" so no more worries as far as early American on your LR.
Old June 9th, 2015, 10:50 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
I did my 130. Had to have them pull up DMV web page to understand that inspection is no longer necessary by Wethersfield for vehicles over 25 yrs old. After that, sailed through with Vin verification and import docs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
import