anyone have experience with rpi? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 30th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

anyone have experience with rpi?

I e-mailed rpi over a month ago with interest in an engine. After 3 weeks without hearing from them I called and spoke to Holly. He was knowledgable and helpful about just what would be a good choice for me but said I needed to go thru the e-mail thing to go about ordering. I'm still waiting for a reply...
Do they normally take this long to reply? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

I had hoped to order a 4.6 long engine. The idea was to stick it in over a weekend then be able to rebuild my engine at my leisure for a future project.

I'm not in a big hurry, I just don't want to waste time waiting if I'm not going to hear back from them.

Thanks for any help!

Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Shipping is a killer, I know that for a fact. I think I paid $120 shipping for a cam, lifters and timing chain.

Might want to look into domestic sources for a good used 4.6 such as CarCannibal

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 30th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Sometimes RPI lags on email, Chris (the boss) takes a holiday, but I've also had daily exchanges with him both before and after the purchase of a chip. Try him at: mobile at v8engines dot com. Also give him your phone numbers -- he called me several times just cause it was easier than email!

Doug W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2005, 07:58 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Hans, it seems to me I read on a thread here that people had decent luck using air freight to ship engines over here, picking them up at the airport. Maybe with Doug's new contact info. I'll be able to get ahold of them and find out!

Thanks for the help guys!
Old March 31st, 2005, 09:27 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Hans no offense but you got screwed on shipping I had great luck with RPI even after I got the parts I called about technical problems and they got on the phone with me and got them answered, even emailed me some pics to show me exactly how to do it. I have ordered parts from them on monday and got them on thursday the same week.
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:04 PM
jabber
m j

Prices from Car Cannibal for a 4.6

Rebuilt 4.6 short block - $3,350 w/o 4.6 exchange

Rebuilt 4.6 long block (Defender 93-95 Conversion w/ performance cam and
heads Upgrade) - $4,750 w/o 4.6 exchange

Used 4.6 long block (GEMS). $2,850 and 78K
Old March 31st, 2005, 02:54 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Thanks, jabber! It's nice to have choices....
Old March 31st, 2005, 03:16 PM
jabber
m j

No prob...

Hey, why not consider going with a Tdi??
Old March 31st, 2005, 03:24 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I don't get it. Why not go with a 4.2? It's a direct fit to a 3.9 and requires far less changes.

Old March 31st, 2005, 03:28 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Just for curiousity sake, but if you had a GEMS 4.0 from the 97 year could you essentially just buy the rebuilt 4.6 and drop it in place of the old 4.0. Or are there more substantial changes that are less obvious?
Old March 31st, 2005, 03:43 PM
jabber
m j

From what I hear the 4.0 to 4.6 is a straight drop in.
Old March 31st, 2005, 04:00 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Don't you have to change to a 4.2 or 4.6 ECU in order to run the 4.6 engine?
Old March 31st, 2005, 04:04 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

What about a Supercharged 4.6? Seems just wild enough to work
Old March 31st, 2005, 08:27 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

jabber, I think I'd be fooling myself if I thought I had enough time to do a tdi conversion. Although the idea of diesel power is intriguing, I'm afraid I'd be an old gray beard by the time I was done! HA HA

David, the biggest reason I haven't considered the 4.2 would probably be my own ignorance. I'm anything but an engine guru. The people I know who rebuild engines regularly have a great deal of knowledge about domestic engines, but not rover engines. They can't understand why I don't just stick a chevy v-8 in it! Rover logic is a dangerous thing... My other source of info has been the internet, if you knew what a computer feeb I am you would understand why I haven't seen info on the 4.2.

I spent a lot of time on rpi's site and I guess I just got comfortable with the thought of a stage 1 4.6 long engine. It seemed to be so much more engine than my old 3.9 that I was content with it. I understand that it will require re-chipping and possibly a new MAF sensor. I was told that the rest of my ancillaries would readily switch over on to the new engine. We talked about engine performance at my altitude and possible changes to the intake manifold/trumpets that might be benificial, but didn't get into it to any great depth. I asked about going to a serpentine belt system and was told that the old v belt system did a better job with the oil pump.

Much of what you know may be over my head, but if you would care to share any advice, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks to all,
Rod
Old March 31st, 2005, 09:19 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I'd still go with a 4.9 Stroker built into a 3.9 block :-)

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 31st, 2005, 09:43 PM
jabber
m j

Honestly Rod,

We should meet up for beers with some of the other guys that have done Tdi conversions.... From my research and asking around the Tdi is fairly simple to do.... depending on your budget. You could probably source a good Tdi for around 5-6K..... That's bought and ready to install!

I think the 4.6 is a great idea too. But again... It would depend on your budget.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.... I think it ultimately depends on what you want.... Balls out performance, or bullet-proof and great gas mileage.

I'm flyin out to Chicago this weekend, but will be around next weekend. Then there's Moab the following weekend...
Old April 1st, 2005, 08:32 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Rod, I noticed the other day that Britishpacific.com was offering 4.2's at a low cost (around $3K), brand new with no core. My understanding is they are direct swap in, and if I'm not totally smoking crack, their was an article about 4.2's in the latest Land Rover Monthly for NA. All the same running gear as your 3.9, and won't require chipping your truck. As drop in as it gets. Giving you at least 200HP, if you don't take it to a machine shop.

Hopefully someone here can speak to the reliability of the 4.2. I did some searching on Pirate and came up empty. I'm pretty sure they were in early Range Rovers (Classics), specifically the LWB model, but that's moving beyond any knowledge I have.

Remember at the end of the day, it's a buick 215 block. So their are more options out there than you may think.

EDIT: Also, Mike H. can speak to what a pain it is to convert from 3.9 to 4.0/4.6. He's dealing with it now.

You can find some engine data on the 4.2 here.

Old April 1st, 2005, 09:23 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Mike, is it true that you need a 4.2 ECU for the 4.6 engine? I have a 4.6 in my shed waiting to be rebuilt and any info you can give me would be appreciated.

TIA
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:41 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

jabber- I'll be out of town next weekend. Maybe after you get back from Moab! It sounds like you might be interested in a tdi yourself? I'm always ready to listen and learn if you think we can round up a tdi guy (I never need an excuse to blow the froth off a couple frosties, I'd be up for that any time!)

David, thanks for the research. That sounds like a hell of a good price for what should be a comparable engine. If its an easier install, all the better. You've given me some good info. to compare with, thanks a lot!
Old April 1st, 2005, 12:04 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

John what are you putting the 4.6 into? I think the 4.2 & 3.9 ecus will wok for each other. 4.0 & 4.6 will work for each other.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat