anyone have a rolex serviced in the last six mothes? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 30th, 2011, 07:22 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

anyone have a rolex serviced in the last six mothes?

just curious- i called them about service in june or july and was quoted a a couple prices and sent i my watch in this month and recived an estimate that was higher. for one i was told basic service was $500 or 550(cant remember which but will check when i get home) and the estimate said $600. also was told that replacing the black ceramic on the bezel of a sub was inluded in that price and the estimate says its an extra $51. talked to a lady in customer service today and said prices have not gone up in almost 2 years. all just seems weired to me. anyone have service to a sub that i can compare prices? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2011, 10:24 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
That seems to be what it costs to send it off to the RSC. I think the 500 gets an oil change tune up and polish (literally) I have a 10 year old that has never been serviced and keeps excellent time. Are you having issues with your watch?
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:30 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

500 gets you crown, tube, crystal, polish, service.

Ceramic bezel? Is the watch one of the newest ones? All watches only until recently had steel bezels. You would have to do major damage to hurt the new
Ceramic ones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2011, 11:19 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I bought my Sub new three years ago. I wonder if it's time to send it in.
Old November 30th, 2011, 11:28 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Nah you are good for ten easy. I need to service my dads. Never serviced and bought in 78. Still tells great time.
Old November 30th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Hinckley423
Charles Joerss
1995 D-90 #2812

Registry
I had to have mine serviced because it was running a bit fast. I took it to Betteridge in Greenwich CT and they sent it in for me at no charge. The watch is relatively new, about 1 year old at the time of service but it was under warranty. The service was free and I didn't pay a dime.

That was my experience but our situations are a bit different.
Old November 30th, 2011, 11:48 PM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I bought my Sub new three years ago. I wonder if it's time to send it in.
I would service it in a 7-10 year interval depending on use.
Old December 1st, 2011, 12:03 AM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

it was $550- disassemble, clean, lube, new gaskets, polish, and pressure test. i priced some things out and asked about replacing the black on the bezel ( i thought i was told its some kind of ceramic) and the lady said the black part of the bezel was included-all this before sending it in. i got it in 97 and was keeping great time until i hit it with a hammer(dont ask me how- was at work prying off a nail or something and some how slipped off and came back and hit my wrist some how?)doesnt include crown- $75 or crystal- $135.
Old December 1st, 2011, 12:12 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I own a Relox from Chinatown.... never serviced it
Old December 1st, 2011, 12:12 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Ah 97 has a steel bezel. Personally I wouldn't polish the watch and I would keep the original bezel insert. Showing wearing is cool. I would get a new crown though as to me this is a service item that wears. If it was an old watch I wouldn't but for 97 or newer it is worth it.
Old December 1st, 2011, 08:21 AM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

I always us the same place in the UK, for my Submariner just cost me 350 UKP, takes around 12 weeks at least.
Old December 1st, 2011, 11:59 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Oh man. This thread is bad luck. Out of the blue, my Sub started making rattling noises from inside when I shake it. It's like something is loose inside. Is this normal?

The watch seems to be running fine.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 12:10 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I dropped my watch on a tile floor like five years ago and it did that. I wasn't as fortunate though as mine wouldn't run. Sounds like the balance wheel (not sure exact name) came loose. You are going to need it opened.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 12:25 AM
hunterjah
Jesse Hardin
Past: '97 D90 LE #135

I just had my Omega serviced for $300 so that sounds reasonable. I've always heard different opinions about when to service, but the most common opinion is only service when it stops telling reliable time/stops working

Previous Rovers:
1997 LR D90 LE - #135
1997 LR D90 ST - #1185 (BRG)
2000 LR Discovery SII (Oxford Blue)
2008 LR LR3 HSE (Alaska White)
2012 LR LR4 Lux (Fuji White)
Old December 4th, 2011, 06:12 AM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

Took my Sub in for an estimate and was quoted the standard $600.00. I recall paying $400.00 in 1997. Mine is a 1987 and I was informed the bracelet needed to be replaced. For the cost of replacing the bracelet plus the service I'd almost be better off with trading it on on a new one, but the old school Rolex and all the years I've had it preclude me from doing that.
Old December 4th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
My Submariner is almost 9 years old and I have never had it serviced. Is that a bad thing? I've though about doing it many times but it's hard to spend the $ when there is nothing wrong with it...
Old December 4th, 2011, 11:26 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant_V View Post
Took my Sub in for an estimate and was quoted the standard $600.00. I recall paying $400.00 in 1997. Mine is a 1987 and I was informed the bracelet needed to be replaced. For the cost of replacing the bracelet plus the service I'd almost be better off with trading it on on a new one, but the old school Rolex and all the years I've had it preclude me from doing that.
Trading it on a new one is a mistake. I am not sure which model you have but most likely it is a 1680 which is a hell of a lot more valuable than a new one. This is rolex service so you will pay more. There are other very trained people out there that do the same job for less. If you really were to trade it PM me.

As for ten years and no service, it just depends. On most of the new watches it isn't a big deal. You don't have to worry about the tritium in the hands crumbling over time on these new watches like you did with the old ones. If the hands crumble on an old one they can get in the movement an cause an issue. You want to service a watch because it is like a car. Things wears and everything could use a good lube. Also the crown wears so it may not seal as well if you are constantly resetting the watch. I say anywhere between 10 and 15 is fine.

As I said I have my dad's watch and it has never been serviced in 30 years. I took it to rolex for an estimate and the quoted me 2200 for the service. Thy wanted to replace the band, the bezel and everything else. It is super worn. I just passed and wear it as is. Now that I know more I like the wear. If I have it serviced, it will be movement, crystal, and crown/tube only. The wear is the what makes the watch unique. I will keep the old band and worn smooth bezel.
Old December 4th, 2011, 12:46 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Ten year intervals are pretty standard. My 1970 5513 Sub had a $500 tune-up about 10 years ago by Rolex, they offer suggested replacement stuff that you can just decline. The service was superb, the watch came back spectacular.

Last year it was losing a lot of time and had a hitch in the winding mechanism. I sent it to a reputable guy in Phoenix that the vintage Rolex community recommended and was kind of disappointed in both the quality and price. Assuming Rolex will still work on my watch (there are some vintage pieces that Rolex service centers won't touch) next time will be a Rolex Service Center.
Old December 4th, 2011, 02:44 PM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

This thread is indeed bad luck. The clasp just broke on my Sea Dweller. Maybe it should be deleted. ;-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 4th, 2011, 02:47 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

The clasp on my gmt which is the same as the seadweller is such crap. The stupid expansion link constantly gets caught on crap.

------ Follow up post added December 4th, 2011 11:47 AM ------

Ken

Let me know where you're going to get a new clasp. I need one too but I haven't found any great deals.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
service