anyone have a rolex serviced in the last six mothes? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 4th, 2011, 02:58 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

$600 is right. Ask for NO POLISH, NO NEW HANDS, NO NEW DIAL to maintain the value of the watch. Also, I would leave a scratched bezel.

Ron
Advertisement

Old December 4th, 2011, 10:27 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Why no polish? Does it matter on a 3-year-old watch? My Sub is generally in good condition but the case has some surface abrasions. I'm going to send it in because the rattling noise is worrying me...even though it still runs just fine.

This watch has about 28 saltwater dives on it. I wonder if diving necessitates more frequent service. I've always taken care to soak it in freshawter after a dive.
Old December 4th, 2011, 10:45 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Each time the watch is polished (case) you are essentially wearing the case down. One polish isn't going to do much but most collectors want it unpolished. You will see ads that say never polished or nice thick lugs. If you must have a polish ask for a light polish. They don't go as deep. Keep in mind if you have deep scratches and have them polish it, they are taking metal away. Personally I can't tell the difference. I have never seen a watch I thought was worn down. I will say this, I have had my daily wearer serviced twice by rolex. Both times I had them polish it. The watch came back looking brand new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2011, 01:20 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Polish it if you want to, but mine get scratched up immediately so it is not worth the wear.
Old December 5th, 2011, 08:48 AM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

Barry, upon locating the clasp where it fell, it appears ok and the pin is the problem. So glad I was not diving when this happened. Chris, they are meant to get wet so no worries. Mine has over 1000 dives on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 5th, 2011, 08:55 AM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant_V View Post
Took my Sub in for an estimate and was quoted the standard $600.00. I recall paying $400.00 in 1997. Mine is a 1987 and I was informed the bracelet needed to be replaced. For the cost of replacing the bracelet plus the service I'd almost be better off with trading it on on a new one, but the old school Rolex and all the years I've had it preclude me from doing that.
Don't chuck the old bracelet, I had a new one put on mine was told to keep the old one as it ads to the provenance
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Trading it on a new one is a mistake. I am not sure which model you have but most likely it is a 1680 which is a hell of a lot more valuable than a new one. This is rolex service so you will pay more. There are other very trained people out there that do the same job for less. If you really were to trade it PM me.
Sentimental value alone will keep me hanging on to it. We've been through a lot together.

------ Follow up post added December 5th, 2011 11:23 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjva View Post
Don't chuck the old bracelet, I had a new one put on mine was told to keep the old one as it ads to the provenance
Yup, I've been hanging onto everything that came with it. Receipt, original packaging and documentation and the extra link that was taken out when it was fitted to my wrist.
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:35 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

If you take it to Rolex, they only replace parts on trade in. Band for band plus cash etc. if you want to keep your band you have to fight with them but it is worth it.
Old December 5th, 2011, 02:27 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
If you take it to Rolex, they only replace parts on trade in. Band for band plus cash etc. if you want to keep your band you have to fight with them but it is worth it.
When I had mine done, they swapped out the bezel ring insert for a new one. I requested the old one back and they told me it was a "one-time exception" to return that piece. Not sure how they can enforce that, but I'm glad I requested it, as that bezel is the one I currently have on the watch - much more character than the newer one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
service