Anyone have a jeep jk unlimited? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 24th, 2012, 12:28 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Anyone have a jeep jk unlimited?

Thinking about one as a daily driver (4 door) instead of my 90.
Thoughts ?
Pros/cons?
Issues?

I'm looking at a 2013

Basically I need something I can haul all my dive gear in, take the kids to school in, driver to work, etc.

I regularly drive to FL with Anton of gear and the 90 is getting outgrown as far as size goes and range.
I was looking at getting a trailer and a diesel for the 90 but at that cost I might as well buy a new jeep and put the miles on that.

------ Follow up post added November 23rd, 2012 10:31 PM ------

If your wondering, I'm keeping the 90 too. This would be an addition.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Got one of the first ones when they came out in 07. Actually really liked it. Pretty practical in a Roverish kind of way. Did a lot of traveling from FL to TN and a couple of Keys trips. I have to say the 90 spent a lot of time in the garage when I had the JK. It was a lot of fun and the targa tops on the hard top was a fast and easy way to go topless. I had a bearing go at 60k. My mechanic fixed it but said I should probably pass her on. They have better motors now though. Wife is really wanting another now so... Bottom line is they are the closest thing to a new 110 out there that we can get. Will probably have another one soon in my drive.
Old November 24th, 2012, 08:37 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Thanks Burke, that is what I was thinking. Resale is strong on them so ill keep it 2-3 years and buy another is the plan.
you don't have a hard top that you bought from a chris in PVB do you? If so small world. Not to mention were in st aug right now at the beach (no 90 though this time though)

95' D90 - daily driver..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Ha! Yes I bought that top from Chris years ago. Ended up putting it on one of my dads 90s that he sold. If you end up in PVB I'll spot you a beer or two.
Old November 24th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Bought my Rubicon new in '07. She has a little over 80K on the clock now, without a hiccup. Works well for my needs (hauling kids, occasional farm work, camping, wheeling). And I really don't mind driving it long distances. All in all, one of my favorite vehicles that I've owned, next to the Defender.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-133041076.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	509.5 KB
ID:	61436  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old November 24th, 2012, 10:03 AM
knobby97
Will
None (currently), past 99 Disco II

I've got a 2008 JKUR that I use as the DD and kiddo shuttle. The room is definitely a plus over a 2 door, but the 3.8 V6 is gutless. I ended up installing the RIPP supercharger and long tube headers, but am thinking that I might have been better off going with a LS swap. I also scored front and rear leather seats out of a 2010 since they weren't an option in 2008. If you get a 2013 make sure to get the new 3.6, it gets better mpg and blows the 3.8/42RLE combo out of the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 24th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Mine was Rescue Green as well. Love that color. Too bad they discoed it...
Old November 24th, 2012, 10:16 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

One of the car rags just did a comparo between the JK-U and the G wagon, picking the JK hands down- even at $70k less. Pretty well sums up the current offerings, as well as issues like noise, ride, ergonomics, etc.
I had an '07 Rubicon with soft top and solid door lowers/ soft uppers and it was a bit noisy. I have an '11 HT, with top and fenders body colored, 37's, etc and it splits DD duty with the 'burb as well as wheeler and is quiet as a church mouse, comfortable, and a lot of fun to drive. It lacks the romance of the Defenders, but also lacks a lot of the short comings as well. I feel like it is an evolution similar to the step from Series to Defender, when comparing Defender to JK. But I too keep a couple Defenders, and actually enjoy them more by asking less from them if that makes any sense.

Oh, and my JK-U is d/c'd Sahara Tan.

Old November 24th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Hinckley423
Charles Joerss
1995 D-90 #2812

Registry
I've got a 2012 Sahara Unlimited and I really like it. It has the Pentastar V6 which is a good engine for it IMO. The back seats are not very comfortable but they fold completely flat which is useful. Mine's got the hardtop and the soft top. I put the hardtop on for the winter and it makes the interior pretty quite. Even with the Pentastar, it isn't particularly fuel efficient but then again, I didn't expect it to be. Overall, It think it's a really good truck and certainly worth considering for another car. If you want more info or feedback, send me a PM.
Old November 24th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

If you can hang in a few months, the 2014 come out very early next year with massive power train improvements.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 24th, 2012, 05:02 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Can you point to anything? It's not going to be a keeper as long as they bring a new d to the us

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old November 24th, 2012, 05:39 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
IDK, I have driven my bro-in-law's JK 4 door and it is smooth and quiet but just doesn't compare to a Defender. One thing I don't like at all is trying to get in and out. The boat sides were a PITA for me. Plus the seat felt so low.

That being said, if Jeep put a diesel in one, I might have to take a look at it. You can get 37's on them just by placing an order to Quadratec.
Old November 24th, 2012, 09:11 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
If you can hang in a few months, the 2014 come out very early next year with massive power train improvements.
Like what? The Pentastar eng. is way better than earlier eng.
Why not buy a 110? Plenty of nice diesel powered 110's available for Rubicon plus a few options money. I mean a new Rubi with options and a nice lift is pushing $50k. Which seems obscene to me.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:30 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Thanks, I bought my wife a q7 RSI, and took her LR3. Problem solved

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old December 2nd, 2012, 08:43 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Should read TDi not RSI

95' D90 - daily driver..