Anyone have a BMW M Coupe in the stable? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 22nd, 2014, 12:53 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

OP, have you driven a Focus ST? Might sound funny but it is the best handling FWD car I have ever driven. They have tuned the chassis pretty aggressively and it has ludicrous lift off oversteer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:26 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
May I suggest a lotus? I commuted in an elise for nearly four years. I am now fat and old and am selling off my exige S (seems like a done deal). It has a rover like quality to it.
Leaking?
Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:42 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
it shouldnt leak it has a toyota engine?

i really like those little cars
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2014, 01:21 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede View Post
Leaking?
No, but they do have oil cooler line failures (recall has fixed it). They don't seem to leak at all, except for minor water ingress issues that are easily fixed. Lots of exposed metal, uncomfortable, minimal extras, marginal at best AC and heat, quirky, great resale, terrible stereo, handmade and shows.

Very defender like. Sort of like if land rover made a sports car it would be a lotus elise or exige.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 07:49 AM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
I have got pretty bored with my commuter... 80 miles a day in an anemic Japanese station wagon is wearing on my soul. The 110 won't cut it as a commuter until I get the OM617 install done. I'm strongly considering just throwing practicality to the wind and trading my daily driver for yet another semi-rare, out-dated and unreasonably expensive vehicle... The BMW M coupe or z3 coupe from 1999 through 2002.

Anyone have one? Owned one in the past? Any experience?
Its no M Coupe, but I do have an E30 318is for sale. Semi-rare? Check. Outdated? Check? Unreasonably expensive? Not even close. Fun as hell to drive? Yep. Needs a little bit of TLC though, but as far as practical and fun daily drivers go, it would be tough to beat IMO. If that strikes your fancy, PM me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140523_074903.png
Views:	134
Size:	477.2 KB
ID:	95609

Kent
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:29 AM
gliebig
Greg Liebig
95 D90

I love those M Coupes. If I only had a larger garage and more $.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:01 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Imho the m coupe is a nice car to dream about and admire, but a huge liability to own.

You could own one, but you couldn't drive it without causing it to lose monumetal amounts of value. That and beyond its rarity, it is incredibly cramped and very low powered for what it is. The s54 models are better in the power department, but they are much more expensive. It is miata sized on the inside and that's not good. The rear suspension is an old school design, which by itself isn't that bad, but it does underscore how outdated that platform is. That and parts will be breaking on it since they are all reaching the age of rotting componentry.

Replacing a beater for commuting with the m coupe is a great dream, but not worth the reality.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:26 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Imho the m coupe is a nice car to dream about and admire, but a huge liability to own.

You could own one, but you couldn't drive it without causing it to lose monumetal amounts of value. That and beyond its rarity, it is incredibly cramped and very low powered for what it is. It is miata sized on the inside and that's not good. The rear suspension is an old school design, which by itself isn't that bad, but it does underscore how outdated that platform is. That and parts will be breaking on it since they are all reaching the age of rotting componentry.

Replacing a beater for commuting with the m coupe is a great dream, but not worth the reality.
Other than agreeing M coupes are cramped, I see the balance of your points differently. To call it low powered -- especially the S54 variant, is just plan crazy. As I mentioned before, these are Frakensteins with a patchwork of E36, E46 and one off parts. It is not a finesse car, a chick's car or a tuner's car. The M Coupe is a beast with gobs of NA torque that needs to be tamed. That is half (all) the fun. For depreciation, check out how the 10-yr older M E30s have ~ doubled in price the last few years. The M Coupe will hold its value just fine. Bonus? They are reliable and easy to work on. Parts are plentiful, too.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:11 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
No, but they do have oil cooler line failures (recall has fixed it). They don't seem to leak at all, except for minor water ingress issues that are easily fixed. Lots of exposed metal, uncomfortable, minimal extras, marginal at best AC and heat, quirky, great resale, terrible stereo, handmade and shows.

Very defender like. Sort of like if land rover made a sports car it would be a lotus elise or exige.
I was joking Ron, I figured you were referring to its sparse accoutrements, but it is funny to hear things like the water ingress, etc. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Other than agreeing M coupes are cramped, I see the balance of your points differently. To call it low powered -- especially the S54 variant, is just plan crazy. As I mentioned before, these are Frakensteins with a patchwork of E36, E46 and one off parts. It is not a finesse car, a chick's car or a tuner's car. The M Coupe is a beast with gobs of NA torque that needs to be tamed. That is half (all) the fun. For depreciation, check out how the 10-yr older M E30s have ~ doubled in price the last few years. The M Coupe will hold its value just fine. Bonus? They are reliable and easy to work on. Parts are plentiful, too.
Agreed. Older BMW's are nothing to be afraid of. The newer ones scare me only because of Electronic parts costs, but they are easy to work on and damn reliable if you maintain them correctly. If you neglect them they are a nightmare, just like anything. Preventative maintenance goes a long way on any car, and will make a M Coupe a very reliable DD.

Nice E30 above by the way! I owned more of those than I can remember, mostly 6cyls and one awd.
Old May 24th, 2014, 02:39 AM
evilfij
evilfij

The top has a sticker which says it is merely weather resistant.
Old May 25th, 2014, 03:34 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
To call it low powered -- especially the S54 variant, is just plan crazy. As I mentioned before, these are Frakensteins with a patchwork of E36, E46 and one off parts.
I'm with you on the S54 M Coupes. But they are at a 50% premium above S52's, and the S52's are selling for around $22-24k. The S52's were powerful in their time, but now even a V6 Accord (or a Honda Odyssey!) has more power and is significantly more refined. The S54 would be an interesting buy, but they are sadly hovering around the used E39 M5 territory in terms of price - and while the S54 M Coupe is a beast, the S62 is really more competitive with modern sports cars.

I do love these cars, but for a commuter car I feel they are really the wrong tool for the job. For a track-day car or some kind of show car, they are nice.
Old May 25th, 2014, 08:13 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
It has a rover like quality to it.
This can mean so many different things...

And wow, there is a lot of interest here for those Z3M Coupes, i thought i was in the majority when i say they are disgusting looking. Anyway, I'd throw my vote in for an E39 M5 or an E39 540i if you are on a budget.
Old May 25th, 2014, 10:18 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Lots of love for the coupe here... With the appropriate amount of hate. Lots of good advice too. Eyes on a higher mileage z3 coupe (3.0) that is local and much more affordable

Old June 4th, 2014, 11:07 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Well I did it... Just verbally committed to a 1999 M Coupe (S52) with a good service history and some well executed mods. Now to figure out the best way to get her from Iowa to NC! Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3493798972.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	96301 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2734205339.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	508.1 KB
ID:	96302

Old June 4th, 2014, 11:34 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Fly and drive!!! Or call Athena and she'll ship it
Old June 4th, 2014, 11:36 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
Fly and drive!!! Or call Athena and she'll ship it
My first lotus I did Fort Lauderdale to Philly non-stop.
Old June 5th, 2014, 12:58 AM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
You'll love it. I have a 99 M3 Covertible. Fun little car.
Old June 5th, 2014, 08:26 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Congrats!

I actually sold a 97 2.8 Z3 to help purchase my first 90. Fun little rockets! I think I might get a M6 convertible (need a 4 seater) in the future.
Old June 5th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Congrats. I second fly and drive. I flew to New Orleans from DC and drove my '83 BJ60 back. Learn a lot about any car on a long road trip.
Old June 5th, 2014, 08:48 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Congrats with the purchase. Not only will you have blast behind the wheel, keep it garaged, clean and maintained and it is better than money in the bank. Look for these to appreciate handsomely.

Here was a sweet example of a E30 S50B30 swap (>> 282hp) that just sold. Don't see the appreciation, but I'd doubt it would ever drop below $12k. Talk about a nice ride and sleeper.....
http://bringatrailer.com/2014/05/30/...990-bmw-325is/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat